Viewing 40 posts - 41,961 through 42,000 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Everyone? Don’t do yourself down Ed. You and the still winning the contest by a mile – and setting the pace today too

New strategy? Yes rely on you guys to post links that disprove your own points. Makes our life much easier. See ^

Ignoring how markets work? Indeed I was just referring to the fact that 40-70% of European wholesale finance (source: the EU) is raised in London. Odd that?

Argue away. Evidence shows that you are wrong. So it’s an empty room but enjoyable to read nonetheless. Facts are so dull and boring in contrast

Leku
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/10/davis-and-hammond-make-plea-to-germany-in-pursuit-of-brexit-deal

if all so rosy why-

The chancellor and Brexit secretary travel to Germany on Wednesday on a charm offensive they hope will shift the EU’s implacable opposition to services being included in a final deal.

Edukator
    Free Member

t 40-70% of European wholesale finance (source: the EU) is raised in London.

But could be raised from anywhere and will be post Brexit. Bankers will invest where’s there’s return, that’s what they do. Rejoice, you may be offered a job in somewhere nicer than that there London town that means you sit on a miserable commuter train and are miles/kms from where you’d like to spend your time.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We would prefer a deal that includeds services and allows passporting as equivalence is a poor subsititute. One reason why existing deals don’t suit our needs (or those of Europeans)

Nope Ed they can’t – even the EU admits this. But carry on….London has a unique “ecosystem” that predates the euro etc and explains why it is the dominant source of global finance. The EU admits that this cannot be replicated elsewhere for a long time

dissonance

But carry on….London has a unique “ecosystem” that predates the euro etc and explains why it is the dominant source of global finance

How many other industries has that been said about?
    Remember when the Japanese were a joke at manufacturing or, if you cant remember that far back, the Chinese.

chestrockwell

My wife works in recruitment of permanent doctors and has just moved from locum doctors. In locums they are having huge problems filling vacancies, especially in less desirable areas. Partly down to the rate caps put in place by Cameron, partly down to reduced eu doctors post brexit. There are loads of shifts going unfilled due to lack of interest.

slowoldman

Then the Tories can privatise the NHS and staffing is the contractors problem.

Edukator
    Free Member

I think you need to provide a link THM. Paris mobilised on the day of the referendum result as did London’s other competitiors:

http://www.francesoir.fr/tendances-eco-france/brexit-paris-pret-accueillir-une-relocalisation-de-la-city

Paris is the new regulatory centre

http://www.liberation.fr/direct/element/paris-choisie-pour-accueillir-lautorite-bancaire-europeenne_73833/

If Brexit happens London is in trouble. Even if it doesn’t happen London has already lost out and will be treated with caution in future.

Klunk
    Free Member

Hammonds in Berlin tonight to grovel plead ask them to be nice to us or risk EU stability….

The economic partnership should cover the length and breadth of our economies including the service industries — and financial services.

Because the 2008 Global Financial Crisis proved how fundamental financial services are to the real economy, and how easily contagion can spread from one economy to another without global and regional safeguards in place.

That is why the UK has worked with our partners in the EU to ensure we led the world in making the regulation and supervision of finance safer.

In particular, we’ve sought to ensure that financial authorities across the world can cooperate in rule-setting and supervising systemically important global firms, to make sure such a catastrophe doesn’t happen again.

That work shouldn’t end because the UK is leaving the EU. On the contrary, we must re-double our collective effort to ensure that we do not put that hard-earned financial stability at risk, by getting a deal that supports collaboration within the European banking sector, rather than forcing it to fragment.

samunkim
    Free Member

This is an interesting read

https://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.com/

and chimes with conversations I have had with Brexit voters

thecaptain
    Free Member

“manageable” is of course fundamentally unfalsifiable. Which is presumably why you said it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The NHS is going to be in better shape wirh substantially increased funding as a result of Brexit. The Tories will see to it for two reasons. Firstly it was a Referendum pledge and secondly it makes electoral sense to take away what Labour hope will be a GE “weapon”. Remember 2015 – Labour pledge 1 billion, the Tories pledge 8. End of debate.

slowoldman

Firstly it was a Referendum pledge

Really? I thought it was a throw away comment on the side of a bus that the leave campaign back-pedalled on afterwards.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

The NHS is going to be in better shape wirh substantially increased funding as a result of Brexit.

That’s some properly lazy trolling.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Remember 2015 2017

150?

kelvin

Of course spending on the NHS will go up… huge increased funding is needed to cope with higher costs already brought about by the referendum vote (I’m not even talking about the future effects of actually Leaving).

BoardinBob

Why do you care?

You’ll be sunning yourself in Portugal

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

France is the regulatory centre?

In the sense of being the odd man out resisting Basel 4 regs!!

Ed you are a card!!

It’s hard to know how you could position yourself further from the truth

HSBC is the only UK bank that may use Paris as its EU core hub because it already has the infrastructure there. Other banks are locating elsewhere – so the Macron invite seems to be falling in deaf ears

Still keep it coming – in my sterile, fact-based work environment the truth is so much duller and boring so you rays are most welcome

kelvin

France is the regulatory centre?

Where is the EBA moving to?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

To a EU capital – would be silly to stay in London if it isn’t a member of the EU wouldn’t it? Not that it makes a difference beyond the headline

molgrips
    Free Member

The NHS is going to be in better shape wirh substantially increased funding as a result of Brexit. The Tories will see to it for two reasons.

When have the Tories ever looked after the NHS? Left us with better service? It’s against their very principles isn’t it?

aracer
    Free Member

Of course it is

Twodogs

France is the regulatory centre

Tho it pains me to agree with THM, this is bollox.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

With a capital B – but fun nonetheless

Hammonds comments above the fragmentation is on the button. The EU know that too.

5thElefant
    Free Member

When have the Tories ever looked after the NHS?

Now? Compare labour led Welsh NHS to tory run English NHS.

tjagain

The NHS in the devolved area have the same issues as England because of the budget constraints and cuts set by Westminster.

The tories have never looked after the NHS. funding goes up as a % of GDP under labour and falls under the Tories

Poopscoop – Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    As above, negative but manageable

You genuinely believe that don’t you?

Incredible. [/quote]

What a ridiculous fantasist. 30 000 shortfall of nurses and the loss of nurses is accelerating. 1000s of doctors short and accelerating. Huge % of the workforce retiring in the next few years with insufficient in training to replace them

there is non so blind as those who will not see.

tjagain

NOte the peaks and troughs and consider what governments were in power. Labour build and support the NHS, tories cut and attempt to destroy.

We still spend far less than comparable countries and its scandalous.

that the tory fantasists on here want to pretend its different shows how detached from reality they are

matt_outandabout

jambalaya » The NHS is going to be in better shape wirh substantially increased funding as a result of Brexit.

Do explain how this is.

Edukator
    Free Member

If you’re going to shout”bollox” to a post abcked up with a link I suggest you address the issue raised in the link and counter it with something more solid than helpless ignorant cry of “bollox”

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why would he? By posting a link that shows that you misunderstand the role of the EBA you are giving him an excuse to merely dismiss the argument – sensibly in this case.

TJ some more great hyperbole there and still failing to link directly to Brexit – so assume you accept that your argument there was flawed. Hope springs….

kelvin

So Frankfurt having the ECB is still more significant than Paris adding that EBA to the ESMA, when it comes to regulation? Please be clear what your point is THM, stop time wasting.

Like nailing jelly to a plate. Just make your point, rather than waving your hands around.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We did the EBA and EMA before and their roles, which debunked the doomsdayers then

“Our” point is that Ed is misguided in believing that Paris/France has any claim to be at the centre of European regulation. As those of us involved know they are more often an outlier as we saw with the Basel 4 negotiations at the end of the year. The location of the EBA is a convenient red herring for remoaners. Nothing more, apart from the amusement factor

Kelvin you could focus your attention on the fact that the tag team keep posting woefully inaccurate claims to support their undemocratic agenda. We need rosbif in the plate not jelly

kelvin

Our point is that Ed is misguided in believing that Paris/France has any claim to be at the centre of European regulation.

So do you think it’s Frankfurt? And increasingly so post Brexit?

Edukator
    Free Member

Our point is that Ed is misguided in believing that Paris/France has any claim to be at the centre of European regulation.

I’ve never claimed that – go on quote me you distorting, misquoting master of putting words in people’s mouths whilst accusing them of lying and making stuff up. You post dirty, THM and we all know. I linked the regulatory agency that’s moving so you know exactly what I was refering to.

I’ve pointed out that London is losing infuence and regulatory power to Europe (not just Paris or even France)

kelvin

Kelvin you could focus your attention on the fact that the tag team keep posting woefully inaccurate claims to support their undemocratic agenda.

No one has tried the “they’ll be trouble on the streets if I don’t get my way” undemocratic nonsense in this thread for ages. Just people saying we should take a different course, as our current one is damaging, in their eyes. Nothing undemocratic about that.

As for inaccurate claims, try putting some detail into your “you don’t know shit” style empty posts. It really would help, and suggest that you want to engage, not enrage.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“Paris is the new regulatory centre”

Your words exactly. No it’s not. The EBA is relocating it’s activities there. That’s it.

And you are wrong on the second point too. This is on top of

If Brexit happens London is in trouble. Even if it doesn’t happen London has already lost out and will be treated with caution in future

Of course it’s understandable that people will be confused. Barnier will be deliberately trying to raise uncertainty and confusion in this next phase especially with fin and other services

Yesterday was merely a pretend hint that if we are lucky we may be considered partly equivalent in terms of regulation. He was playing to an audience. Nothing more. Of course we are equivalent

kelvin

Of course we are equivalent

The issue is, what keeps us equivalent, yet allows us to “take back control”. How does the EU prevent us diverging in a way that could damage the interests of the remaining member states?

kimbers

We did the EBA and EMA before and their roles, which debunked the doomsdayers then

???

Youll have to go and show us this debunking because, the medicines regulations is still a huge headache for uk pharma & research

the uk is now asking to stay in the EMA too, another loss of soveignity!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Don’t ask me about taking back control – I am not a leaver

Keeping equivalence a better question. If we lose passports and rely on equivalence only then we will be operating under locally based subsidiaries for certain activiities (some simplification here). So we will have to stat equivalent by definition. Perhaps the issue that you are thinking about is what influence will we have over future EU regulation. To the extent that it deviates from global regulation, then less clearly.

Viewing 40 posts - 41,961 through 42,000 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.