Viewing 40 posts - 40,681 through 40,720 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • DrJ

You and your views are a clear example of why Brexit will never work and will never bring people together,

Jamba has already stated his intention to eff off post Brexit to live in Portugal or wherever, so he doesn’t give a flying duck whether it brings people together or not.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Now we have all the other commitments which Remain didn’t tell is about …

Always someone elses fault init…..

One* wonders what Leave would gain from non disclosure and what else they failed to mention.

* Most dont as they arent clinging to some biggoted myopic world view.

zippykona

Why would the mail online print that poll?
    Normally when there’s good news for us reasonable,rational forward looking people they run a story about a miracle cure or a royal.
    Is this some sort of editorial change? Would they rather a Tory government in the eu rather than a labour one out?

martinhutch

Why would the mail online print that poll?

Dacre’s day off, innit? Mail on Sunday has some dirty remainers on its staff, so once a week it gets to confuse its readership. Bit bizarre.

dudeofdoom

Oh goody the easy trade deal should be fun

Britain will not be offered preferential, bespoke treatment if this means the EU having to reinvent its rulebook to accommodate us and if, according to World Trade Organisation rules, anything the EU offers Britain has to be offered to everyone else with whom it already has agreements.

According to Mr Lord Mandelson.

Dunno how straight he’s tellin it but having to offer it to everyone else sounds fun.

I think we’re now going to see why these trade deals er are such ball aches over the next year.

crankboy
    Free Member

“according to World Trade Organisation rules, anything the EU offers Britain has to be offered to everyone else with whom it already has agreements”
    I was wondering what the brexiters position on this was, given the only nations currently trading on WTO rules I know of are Somalia and North Korea, its hard to find an encouraging real world exemplar for our hard Brexit destiny.

dudeofdoom

I’m just surprised Mogg and his mates aren’t complaining more about us staying in the SM and the CU in the long term.

Perhaps under the bluster they’ve twigged that time is not on our side and they could all be sat on their asses after the great Brexit day when everyone’s head scratching about what happens next as we’ve no deal and the finger of fudge is pointing at them.

They want to rock the boat but not sink it.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Neither are WTO members crankboy.

Pretty sure the conclusion was that no country trades solely under WTO rules and it’s just some idiotic soundbite trotted out by idiots.

GrahamS

Loving the reader’s comments on that Daily Mail article about the survey. Many variations of “Nice try DM but this is fake news!! They never asked me therefore this poll is invalid”

🙄

thecaptain
    Free Member

Looking forward to the furious briefing and counter-briefing after the cabinet discussions on Tuesday when they finally start to confront their mutually incompatible and mostly impossible aims.

Leku
    Free Member

Wow. The Mail really loves a ‘Busty Display”. But then it is full of tits.

dudeofdoom

Looking forward to the furious briefing and counter-briefing after the cabinet discussions on Tuesday when they finally start to confront their mutually incompatible and mostly impossible aims.

reunification of the Tory party 🙂

Mind boggling that this wasn’t all decided before signing the 50.

aracer
    Free Member

Oh look, jamba’s attempting to enhance his credibility by using the pre rebate figure again. 😆 Busted flush on that, mate.

Now we have all the other commitments which Remain didn’t tell is about … various loan commitments (loans or gifts ?) and the pension deficit

The commitments which were covered by the payment we already made? Why didn’t Leave tell us about having to pay them after we left?

oldnpastit

Jamba – Member

If Ireland veto the final deal they get WTO and a whole world of trouble – why should the UK make their life easy if they block a negotiated deal with a mechanism for no hard border ?

The United Kingdom’s intention is to achieve
    these objectives through the overall EU-UK relationship. Should this not be possible,
    the United Kingdom will propose specific solutions to address the unique
    circumstances of the island of Ireland. In the absence of agreed solutions, the United
    Kingdom will maintain full alignment with those rules of the Internal Market and the
    Customs Union which, now or in the future, support North-South cooperation, the all-
    island economy and the protection of the 1998 Agreement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/665869/Joint_report_on_progress_during_phase_1_of_negotiations_under_Article_50_TEU_on_the_United_Kingdom_s_orderly_withdrawal_from_the_European_Union.pdf

To me that reads as saying that if Ireland veto whatever deal gets done, the UK basically stays as a “vassal” of the EU, until such time as we can invent some kind of magical invisible border.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Yes of course that’s exactly what it means which is why the brexiteers were so quick to say they didn’t really mean it, they had their fingers crossed behind their backs when the signed it etc…

oldnpastit

and why bojo is writing articles saying we must not become a vassal state of the EU.

which to me is confirmation that the UK is becoming a vassal state of the EU.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mike US, China, Canada Australia, South Korea, Japan .. we will have more free trade deals than any of those within 12-24 months of being able to sign them. The EU is about protectionism pure and simple in terms of trade. Remember it was the UK who was championing free trade with US, Canada, Japan, Australia etc – we have a huge advantage and a massive headstart. 60 deals to “copy paste” as soon as we can sign them.

@DrJ what nonsesne, of course you can have a view and care about social cohesion without living somewhere 100% of the time. I will always have a home in the UK just may not be tax resident depending on who is in charge. It will be about counting days in one place versus another.

zippykona

I do hope you are not too inconvenienced by having to move between 2 homes.
    If my shop goes tits up spare a thought for me.

igm

may not be tax resident depending on who is in charge

Folk who want to do that sort of thing to tax dodge should be forced to give up their citizenship.
    Don’t go there Jamba it really is a shabby thing to do.

Junkyard
    Free Member

+1 igm

chestrockwell

Is anyone surprised?

molgrips
    Free Member

we will have more free trade deals than any of those within 12-24 months of being able to sign them.

Ok but will they be better or worse than the ones we have through the EU?

The EU is about protectionism pure and simple

Isn’t that an argument for remaining in it? Better to be the beneficiary of protectionism no?

Junkyard
    Free Member

only by the honesty 😉

I dont think he has even been even remotely less than 100 %honest about his desire when he retires to be very clear Its just a joke

mefty
    Free Member

Oldnpastit – is that wording in the deal?

mattjg
    Free Member

and why bojo is writing articles saying we must not become a vassal state of the EU.

perhaps he’s making a case for being a vassal of the Chinese or US.

martinhutch

. I will always have a home in the UK just may not be tax resident depending on who is in charge.

People with such a flexible attitude to paying their way shouldn’t be surprised when their views on the future direction of that country don’t carry much weight with other people who are in it for better or worse.

igm

I won’t claim to be an expert on US tax and citizenship, but isn’t one of their citizenship requirements that you pay tax to the minimum you would do if you were US resident. Any required top up being paid to the US.

Sounds reasonable. People not paying their dues according to their ability shouldn’t enjoy the benefits of UK citizenship.

BoardinBob

I do hope you are not too inconvenienced by having to move between 2 homes.
    If my shop goes tits up spare a thought for me

It really is just the worst, eh?

Someone who has clearly benefitted from and done very well because of the EU. You can absolutely guarantee his wee inner monologue constantly reminds him he could be even richer if it wasn’t for those meddling bureaucrats.

The living breathing epitome of Stewart lee’s “the money is mine” routine

thecaptain
    Free Member

No, USA tax system is nuts. The rest of the world, you are resident for tax purposes in one place only, typically the place you spend most of your time. The USA approach is a nightmare and particularly unfair for for accidental citizens who have no link to the country other than that their mother happened to be there when they were born.

oldnpastit

mefty – Member

Oldnpastit – is that wording in the deal?

Direct quote.

zippykona

How much sway does the TUC hold over the Labour Party. They are quite clear on remaining in the single market ,should that not be echoed by Mr Jezza?

mattyfez

Despite the current noise, the next big milestone is the vote on whether a specific leaving date can be written in.

Given the tory rebellion last week, a few more now might feel empowerment to vote with sense rather than with the whip.

That’s assuming Labour MPs will vote rather than abstain.

igm

Thecaptain – the US system may well be nuts, but it does allow those ‘accidental’ citizens to renounce their citizenship hand in their passports and stop paying US taxes.
    If a 40 or 45% (or even 46%) tax payer suddenly decides to live somewhere to avoid paying UK tax (particularly if they don’t actually live there) they should be given the choice – pay UK tax levels (local as normal plus anything above that to HMRC) or hand in your UK passports. Non-doms are leaches, tax haven inhabitants not much better.

jambalaya
    Free Member

People with such a flexible attitude to paying their way shouldn’t be surprised when their views on the future direction of that country don’t carry much weight with other people who are in it for better or worse.

I have been fortunate enough to have paid a quite significant amount of tax thank you very much over 35 years in well very paid jobs (“the 1%”), whilst at the same time costing the state zero inc educating my kids at my own cost from net of tax earning.

It is quite clear to me now that if I had my time again I would not have returned from the US in 1991 and/or I would focus on a low tax jurisdiction. Also it quite clear that PAYE is a mugs game, my ex-BIL saw that and as smart enough to focus on “starting a business” ie not taking a PAYE job. Sold out and paid 15% – smart.

Junkyard
    Free Member

whilst at the same time costing the state zero

you never used a road or had your bin emptied then or benefited from the police or the NHS ?

the average 1% income was $1.26 million – no wonder you feel so impoverished and like life has been unkind to you

igm

Yep. Objects to others enjoying FoM, but wants to enjoy it himself. Objects quite vociferously to Apple enjoying a low tax regime, but wants to enjoy it himself.

You couldn’t make it up.

Jamba, you have, if you’ve been a 1%er for 35 years (really – since you were what 19?), been very fortunate, pay your tax and count it as a badge of honour. You won, others lost, pay your dues not some minor percentage of your dues.

molgrips
    Free Member

Also it quite clear that PAYE is a mugs game

I thought you were anti tax avoidance?

martinhutch

BoardinBob

costing the state zero

Even by your standards, that’s 100% gold plated bollocks

Viewing 40 posts - 40,681 through 40,720 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.