Viewing 40 posts - 40,361 through 40,400 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • theotherjonv

Thats what Greave would want you to believe. And you are falling for it.,,

Is that at me?

I was quoting Steve Baker – I know since then Theresa has also said that the date would be enshrined in legislation, but who’s to say that will be accepted or indeed could not be amended by further legislation.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

IGM every trick under the book so far to avoid respecting a democratic result.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the legislation can’t chnage the agreement between EU and Government.

This is not necessarily true

However as the Prime Minister made clear in her Florence speech, the European Union considers that it is not “legally able to conclude an agreement with the UK as an external partner while it is itself still part of the European Union”. This is because the EU treaties require that the agreement governing our future relationship can only be legally concluded once the UK is a third country (i.e. once it has left the EU). So the Withdrawal Agreement will be followed shortly after we have left by one or more agreements covering different aspects of the future relationship.

Dave davis written statement again ,it would help if you read cited links- he is on your side

The one that I made which you described as misleading

It was as your expert pointed out and its a strange day when i trust the PM and Davis more than you do

theotherjonv

Do I really have to quote omar again?

please do, I don’t recall the reference (genuinely)

Junkyard
    Free Member

why fight the amendment and risk being defeated and losing control?

they wanted a straight yes or no vote not the ability to amend?
    In all honesty I have no idea is it because they are clueless **** wits beaten by their own hubris?

igm

Please THM!!!

This is democracy. We had a GE and this is the parliament we got. Democracy rolls on.

If you’re worrying about the referendum a while back, May should not have called the GE. Today’s MPs voting cannot be bound by events during a previous parliament except in so far as they are bound by legislation.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nothing over the weekend was untrue. The noise is simply because some EU players were embarrassed that the truth was made clear.

This (from TMH). The EU where publicly embarrassed and had to “react”. Reality is they have actually not done anything, the Parliament resolution today is non-binding ( ironic eh ? 🙂 )

Matty Labour voted for the amendment except Howey and Fields who voted against. Jarred is “off sick” allegedly. All DUP voted with Govt, 10 Tories against. Govt lost by 4

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No it’s not.

But it’s doesn’t matter as it makes no difference in the end. Other than making a sensible deal more difficult to achieve. Who mentioned Turkeys earlier?

igm

Yep. If you publicly embarrass folk you’re trying to negotiate with it does tend to mess up the negotiations Jamba / THM.

igm

I sometimes get the feeling you don’t like democracy very much THM, particularly if it leads to uncertainty.

It leaves one sensible option very much on the table (given my suspicion that no deal is actually untenable in the minds of the “grownups “)

kimbers

Here it comes….

mattyfez

please do, I don’t recall the reference (genuinely)

It’s from ‘the wire’

[video]https://youtu.be/cryMVK1PwuQ[/video]

mefty
    Free Member

It was as your expert pointed out and its a strange day when i trust the PM and Davis more than you do

No point continuing this, you seem to be completely misunderstanding the point.

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆 Oh the irony 😆

Business does not like uncertainty and THM values the ability to make money above all things

mattyfez

Matty Labour voted for the amendment

First time Labour got off the fence in a while and didn’t get whipped into abstention, and for all the wrong reasons, but the right result.

theotherjonv

Nothing over the weekend was untrue.

Did you miss all the stuff about the impact studies? The ones that were apparently too complex for anyone to read, or alternatively didn’t actually exist.

Trustworthy?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On the contrary IGM I am one of the few here who clearly values it.

They are only embarrassed by the truth. Either they were hiding it or they didn’t understand. Both are very embarrassing indeed hence the rush to amend the paperwork retrospectively.

Verhofstadt looked very silly indeed

kimbers

True dat mattyfez, True dat

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No point continuing this, you seem to be completely misunderstanding the point.

😀

99% 😉

igm

Then respect its workings THM.

And if you were negotiating with someone, announced an outline deal jointly, only for the other side to publicly say it doesn’t mean anything it’s only outline a day or so later, you’d be somewhat annoyed and wondering why you’re negotiating with said clown. Annoyed and embarrassed, yes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

ah the vicarious abuse of thm who lacks the courage, control or intellect to engage directly 8)

Best to know when ones limits THM 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Then respect its workings THM.

Says a member of a minority looking to ignore both a referendum and an even more emphatic parliamentary vote. Deep breaths my friend, the emotion must be getting to you…

And if you were negotiating with someone, announced an outline deal jointly, only for the other side to publicly say it doesn’t mean anything it’s only outline a day or so later, you’d be somewhat annoyed and wondering why you’re negotiating with said clown. Annoyed and embarrassed, yes.

Leaving aside the untruth (tut,tut) about doesn’t mean anything, I prefer to look at it from a different perspective I have been in many negotiations and if any of my team were foolish enough to misunderstand what was binding and not binding I would fire them for incompetence on the spot.

The Eu simple got caught with their pants down by a simple answer to a simple question posed by Marr. No wonder they are so sensitive about it.

BTW you did read the comment from that Matt incorrectly suggested cane from DD a few pages back. It explains why there were so many red faces around.

perditus
    Free Member

I sometimes get the feeling you don’t like democracy very much THM, particularly if it leads to uncertainty.

Ha. Nail on head.

THM values the ability to make money above all things

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Seems like there are lots of people embarrassed by not understanding what is going on judging by ^

😀

theotherjonv

so, any comments about Davis’ various answers to parliament on the impact studies and any impact that might have on whether we can trust anything else he promises?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You trust a politician??

No wonder they get away with stuff in small print 😉

I don’t – prefer to do my own work. Much better

theotherjonv

so again – now we’ve determined that you can’t trust them, why is it strange that a ‘ministerial assurance’ of a vote on the deal didn’t satisfy the democratic process of parliament, leading then to them requiring a legislative assurance tonight?

prefer to do my own work

you made that point a week ago, which i responded to but you didn’t answer

igm

THM – my main emotion tonight is curiosity.

I have long maintained that democracy is not static, being in the minority was at a point in time which had now passed, and the whole point of democracy is to try and build a majority not give up when you don’t yet have one.
    Now I know we have disagreed on this many times – I don’t expect to convince you. But please keep an open mind to other points of view.

As for Davis’s comments, he was at pains to point out it wasn’t legally binding, which is of course both correct and irrelevant. The relevant bit was the pointing it out which does not engender good relations.
    I don’t think the EU were under any misapprehensions about the legal status, but once Davis had opened his mouth they felt they had to act.

The moral? Announce agreements, not things that are a bit like agreements. Any don’t let Davis speak in public. Or elsewhere. A diplomat he is not.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Any response to my question regarding you stating you’d likely retire to an EU country?

@teethgrinder I went back 20 pages but I missed the post, feel free to ask again but some thoughts which ring true to me

Vote Leave tagline was “Europe Yes. EU No” the EU is not Europe.

I love France, always have. I think it would be better outside the EU as does my French wife and many of our friends/relatives
    I think UK leaving the EU will make very little difference to me retiring in France (in fact based on the draft text I think it quite likely my wife will register in UK and I will register in France sometime before April 2019/21 – why not ?)
    Reciprocal free healthcare can be agreed between nations, nothing unique/explicitly reliant on the EU – this is one of many examples of things that can easily be replicated outside the EU
    Right to live / retire in a European country can be granted by individual state anyway, hence my comments about Portugal which is very keen to attract people

igm

Many things can be agreed Jamba.

Helps if you haven’t stuck your fingers in the other guy’s eyes first.

If I may gently take the mickey, I see you wish to keep one of the 4 Freedoms (slightly modified) – free movement of Jambas
    😉

mattyfez

so, any comments about Davis’ various answers to parliament on the impact studies and any impact that might have on whether we can trust anything else he promises?

I don’t honestly think Davies can do anything right now. He’s like a spider that’s had all its legs pulled off.

But he’s trying to be optimistic, although no one is really sure what he’s optimistic about.
    Probably optimistic about getting out of this mess and claiming his hefty pension.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I see the Russians influenced the Referendum to the tune of 72 pence 😀 😀 😀

https://news.sky.com/story/kremlin-spent-72p-on-eu-referendum-adverts-facebook-claims-11169227

igm

That only refers to adverts Jamba.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Helps if you haven’t stuck your fingers in the other guy’s eyes first.

If I may gently take the mickey, I see you wish to keep one of the 4 Freedoms (slightly modified) – free movement of Jambas

Indeed, the EU did that releatedly in the last 10 years and they paid the price come the vote and they continue to this day.

Lisbon Treaty gave Freedom of Movement some very very significant rights. So “slightly modified” is stretching the point. I am just looking for the ability to live in another country and spend my money there thus paying local consumption and property taxes.

oldnpastit

I am just looking for the ability to live in another country and spend my money there thus paying local consumption and property taxes.

Local consumption and property taxes usually just pays for rubbish collection and local roads and such like.

Who would you like to pay for things like health insurance? Roads? Universities to educate the people around you and create a civil society for you to enjoy? A military to keep you safe from the invading hordes?

wilburt
    Free Member

Whilst I think opinions on government administration is important Corbyn was correct, today/tonight we have thousands of people sleeping on the streets.
    Forget that other nonsense sort the real problems out.

mattyfez

Yeah safety standards, working time regulations, human rights, all these things are a kick in the teeth for the low paid British workers.

igm

Lisbon Treaty gave Freedom of Movement some very very significant rights. So “slightly modified” is stretching the point. I am just looking for the ability to live in another country and spend my money there thus paying local consumption and property taxes.

Whilst trying to remove that right from others. That’s the modification. 😉

Hypocrisy?

mattyfez

Whilst I think opinions on government administration is important Corbyn was correct, today/tonight we have thousands of people sleeping on the streets.
    Forget that other nonsense sort the real problems out.

Corbyn is a charletan, why does he whip his party in the way he does but not on this evenings vote?

He’s putting ideology before pragmatism and it’s completely transparent.

The man is a discrace.

igm

PS when did the EU stick their fingers in my eyes? Or the millions in the UK who benefited from more jobs, better economy, long term peace (in Western Europe at least, the world is a big place)?
    (In addition to mattyfez‘s post)

The EU not on balance being a force for good is #FalseNews.

Viewing 40 posts - 40,361 through 40,400 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.