Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • etrex H – Anyone got one ??
  • Dave40
    Free Member

Got lost again at the weekend on the moors. Been looking at an eTrex H.
    Any advise ?

clubber
    Free Member

Cheap, tracks very well, no mapping, perfect if you just want to follow a pre-planned route but no good for making a route up as you go along unless you carry the map too. More expensive models have a map in the background though they're not OS.

Does that answer it?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

If you get one of the more advanced versions you'll have the ability to fit a card into the back onto which you can download maps. Garmin Topo maps are crap, but there are free maps out there that are nearly as good as OS maps. Worth going up the range a bit.

Dave40
    Free Member

Would you recomend a Gamin device ?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Yep, use one all the time. A very good bit of kit.

Only thing you've got to remember is that they are not some micro PC. They are a completely different unit and you do have to learn how to use them correctly. Once you've mastered that you'll never look back.

uplink
    Free Member

What exactly do you want to do?

Have an electronic map?
    Have a device to give you a grid ref?
    follow pre-planned routes?

all 3?

Dave40
    Free Member

Follow a pre planned route and a map would suffice I think.

uplink
    Free Member

The map requirement ups the ante somewhat

I think the Dakota is probably the cheapest Garmin to do that

Dave40
    Free Member

If I stuck with the route planning, what would you suggest ?

deft
    Free Member

Great bit of kit to use with a map. It will give you a grid ref but also what bearing you're on and a rough altitude. If you get really stuck you can use it for navigation 'on the go' ie. stick in the grid ref for your car or a known landmark

Never usually bother to pre plan routes into it but it does work quite well

uplink
    Free Member

If I stuck with the route planning, what would you suggest ?

Basic Etrex should be fine

TooTall
    Free Member

I wanted a bit more than the base model so got the Legend HCX or whatever – quicker more accurate sensors, micro SD and the ability to upload maps. The open source topo map of the UK with contours isn't perfect but it is damned good for a free download – all for £136. Loads better than the basic but not the all-singing that were twice what I paid.

garethw
    Free Member

So can I plan my route online using mapmyride or something similar and download a file that will point the correct way when I reach a junction ? Will it connect via USB and will it work on a mac ?

Thanks
    Gareth.

uplink
    Free Member

Never used a Mac or mapmyride – sorry

geoffj

Will it connect via USB and will it work on a mac ?

yes, but you will need a USB – Serial converter and something like LoadMyTracks to upload the file.

coylumbridge
    Free Member

I use an etrex camo (similar to basic etrex) – use bikehike (click on course creator tab) to create your route (you can toggle maps etc) then download your file as a gpx track to your PC and then on to your etrex ( easygps is fine and you can follow roads/tracks or unclick to create your own – also gives elevations)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘etrex H – Anyone got one ??’ is closed to new replies.