Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Etiquette question
  • finbar
    Free Member

If one should approach the “push” side of a door at the same time as (or fractionally before) a lady approaches the “pull” side, what is the correct way to proceed?

MrsToast
    Free Member

You should both stand there, paralysed by indecision.

alfabus
    Free Member

push the door open, stay on your side of the threshold and hold it open for them while standing to the side (assuming the door is wide enough to manage this)

Dave

Shibboleth
    Free Member

She should wait while you pass through and hold it open for her. As you would if you were opening an outward opening front door for a guest.

Raindog
    Free Member

If you are in time to push the door, step through and hold it open for them, do this. If not, panic.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Proceed with caution.

She might be one of those daft modern liberated sexual equality women who don’t like men holding doors open for them 🙄

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I used to work with a mate who liked to do a little hop and push the door open with his other foot.

This always worked fine as you could see if someone was on the other side through the little window at chest height… until a dwarf started working for us… Ouch!!

alfabus
    Free Member

until a dwarf started working for us… Ouch!!

I’ll bet he wasn’t Happy.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Grumpy, possibly Bashfall

wwaswas

Revolving door, woman on same side as you:

Enter door first so you can push and she doesn’t have to but do a complete revolution of the door so that you actually come out of it after she has.

[edit] did you have to call Doc?

finbar
    Free Member

It’s a minefield…

druidh
    Free Member

If it’s a minefield, let her walk through first.

And put your fingers in your ears.

thomthumb
    Free Member

is she still waiting?

BigJohn

I was walking along this narrow mountain pass – so narrow that nobody else could pass you, when I saw a beautiful blonde walking towards me. A beautiful blonde with not a stitch on, yes, not a stitch on, lady. Cor blimey, I didn’t know whether to toss myself off or block her passage.

(Courtesy Max Miller)

loum
    Free Member

Torminalis
    Free Member

She should hold the door open for you.

In the same position, I would hold the door be they male or female. Anything else would just be rude.

hugor
    Free Member

Thats one of those lose-lose situations that the fairer sex always catch us out on.
    I’d turn around and come back later or look for another entrance into that area.

cheez0
    Free Member

I think the ‘puller’ should oblige, that way the doorway is clear for the other person to step through without having to resort to sweaty rubbing together of hot bodies in the close space that is the doorway.

i need a cold shower.

rocketman
    Free Member

Push the door open & walk through

Simples

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Stand and wait for the bone idle cow to open the door for you.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I think the ‘puller’ should oblige

+1

This is the age of equality.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Thats one of those lose-lose situations that the fairer sex always catch us out on.
    I’d turn around and come back later or look for another entrance into that area.

I like to hide by doors, wait for an unwary male, then to suddenly be there, waiting expectantly at door.

She should hold the door open for you.

In the same position, I would hold the door be they male or female. Anything else would just be rude.

Sensibly, this. Pushing the door open and trying to hold it for someone else to pass through is awkward.

mr_mills
    Free Member

In this situation I normally use The Force to open it for her.

redfordrider
    Free Member

I still cringe when I think about my first day at University in the early 1990s. I opened a door for a female student who promptly got on her soap box and lectured me on women’s rights – in front of hundreds of other students….

Shibboleth
    Free Member

redfordrider – Member

I still cringe when I think about my first day at University in the early 1990s. I opened a door for a female student who promptly got on her soap box and lectured me on women’s rights – in front of hundreds of other students….

There’s only one thing to do in a situation like this: drag her by the dreadlocks until she’s standing squarely in the doorway and then slam the door in her pierced face. Hard. And if she’s still standing, boot her in the fanny.

alfabus
    Free Member

I think that a loud: “**** off; I’m not being sexist, I’m being polite.” would help defuse the situation.

That or “Button it, Fatty”.

emsz
    Free Member

I’m more than capable of opening a door, but if you’re going to hold one open for me, that’s fine to.

In this situation, I’d laugh.

sas
    Free Member

Walk up to the door, stop as if you’ve suddenly remembered something, pull your phone out and start fiddling with it whilst blocking the doorway.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I presume this was a kitchen door? I would have held it shut 😉

sugdenr
    Free Member

Safest option is to fein change of mind, say ‘so sorry’ u turn and walk back where you came from. When coast is clear, retry 😐

Flash
    Free Member

The correct etiquette would be for the lady to stand back, allow you to open the door, you walk through and hold it open for her. You can then have a little sly look at her bum as she walks past.

This depends on two things: she will also need to know the correct etiquette and her bum is worth a little sly look.

Oh and the equality thing, just because they don’t want to be a lady doesn’t mean I should stop being a Gentleman.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Rush to push the door open for her but in your haste trip and fall with your full bodyweight into the door, knocking her over in the process, the end result being rather embarrassing for everyone involved 😳

maccruiskeen

In this situation I normally use The Force to open it for her.

Its more polite to say ‘Service’, as ‘Force’ sounds very aggressive

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Swing the door open so that there is time for you both to get through before it closes again.

However, the wise money (if it’s a double door) is on pushing the door open on the opposite side to her leaving her to pull her side of the door open.

schnullelieber
    Free Member

I think that a loud: “**** off; I’m not being sexist, I’m being polite.” would help defuse the situation.

Something similar happened to me in Canada a couple of years ago. In response I came over a bit Michael Winner and told her ‘No need to get your knickers in a twist love – i thought you were a bloke’. In my defence she was quite butch and in some bulky ski kit.

bigyinn
    Free Member

One should leap through the door smashing it to smithereens a’la Captain Flasheart in Blackadder bfore dragging her off roughly to your office.

maccruiskeen

i thought you were a bloke

My GF said that to a very angry Ugandan solder pointing a machine gun in her face. It didn’t make the ladysoldier any less angry. No doors were involved though.

hugor
    Free Member

I like to hide by doors, wait for an unwary male, then to suddenly be there, waiting expectantly at door.

😆 Its women like you that cause unrest!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Etiquette question’ is closed to new replies.