Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ethics in online retailing
  • robowns
    Free Member

Kind people of stw.

Is there any chance any of you could spare 2 minutes in assisting my girlfriend with her dissertation by filling out a small questionnaire on ethics in online retailing?
    Its quick I promise.

Many thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time, I appreciate it.

GJP
    Free Member

OK email in profile

scaredypants

2 minutes ? really ?

got a link ?

househusband

Yup; email in profile – or is this a surveymonkey one?

robowns
    Free Member

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YF3RYMG

Meant to include in the post, what a tool.

Thanks peeps.

JoeG
    Free Member

done

bokonon
    Free Member

Does she want feedback on the quality of the survey construction and potential problems with drawing conclusions from the data it will provide?

robowns
    Free Member

Nah its supposed to be open-ended.

bokonon
    Free Member

It’s not open ended though…?

e.g. Q5, there is a massive jump between the options, meaning people will answer something they don’t mean , and try and answer “correctly” introducing an expectancy bias.

Q6 is quantitative, but the definition of the question is in doubt, so the data you get isn’t going to mean anything – because no matter what I answer, I might be answering a different question to the next person.

Has this been run past her supervisor?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Sorry had a look at the questions but struggled to find options that suited me.
    There are good ad bad retailers out there both online and high street

bencooper
    Free Member

Done, but it wasn’t what I thought it was about – I thought it was about ethics WRT employees, suppliers and the environment, that’s what “ethical” normally means in a business sense – it’s generally assumed that businesses are meant to be ethical WRT their customers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s generally assumed that businesses are meant to be ethical WRT their customers.

😆

Ethical to their customers 🙂 it’s even easier to do them over when you never have to meet them.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yeah, I know – but you know what I mean, if a business calls itself “ethical”, it’s generally about using recycled packaging and buying fair trade coffee for the canteen.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

normally if it calls itself ethical it’s marketing to the middle classes and earth mothers (spend more on same product if no monkeys died making the goat cheese)

Perhaps it’s the cynic in me that thinks that no business is ever ethical with regard to it’s customers. At least from that point I can be pleasantly surprised.

bencooper
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s the cynic in me that thinks that no business is ever ethical with regard to it’s customers.

Well, I try 😉

I think few businesses deliberately set out to deceive or defraud their customers – for the simple reason that it’s much cheaper to get repeat business than to find new customers if anything. But obviously some businesses are better at this than others.

robowns
    Free Member

Its ethical in regards of eco and fair sales to consumers.

Thanks for all that have taken part.

bokonon
    Free Member

Is it ethical to extract surplus value from the labour of employees?

bencooper
    Free Member

Good point, Comrade.

robowns
    Free Member

Its not my study mate. I only care about price, I dont think I could care less about ethics of retailers.

bokonon
    Free Member

I dont think I could care less about ethics of retailers.

Within the definition of ethics used by this survey – if you care about products being delivered as they are advertised, when they are advertised at the quality they are advertised then you do care about ethics.

I used to live in Southend, and I couldn’t care less about Ethics.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I used to live in Southend, and I couldn’t care less about Ethics.

took 2 reads….

Poor ethics/business practices leads me away from some on line retailers.

CRC discounting the out of stock or 1 in stock item (funny size & colour) to get further up the google shopping page etc.
    Fees on top of purchase you can’t get out of (Ryan Air CC Charges)
    Showing in stock taking cash then ordering from supplier etc
    Refunds in vouchers when it’s their fault
    Avoiding distance selling regs as much as possible with policies to deter people from trying to get refunds etc.

I’ve said plenty of times the price is a tiny part of it for me. I’m not saying I don’t care about the price but I factor in a few other factors.

edit too much rambling

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ethics in online retailing’ is closed to new replies.