Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Ethical bike theft?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

Had a bit of a disagreement with my friend sho lives on a sink estate over the weekend, this is the abridged version of events:

Friend buys her son & daughter a couple of new bikes with money she recieved from our glorious benevolent government.

Some “known” scumbags from the estate, with a track record of antisocial behaviour stole the kids bikes and broke the door of her (crappy) shed in the process. (No ground anchors here!)

Kids destraught, her new fella is livid and she’s less than delighted.

Turns out her new fella went around to the “alledged theifs” property smashes up thrir shed and returns with two kids bikes, not the ones originally stolen!

They are all “a bike for a bike” and all this and flatly dismiss the “two wrongs don’t makd a right” concept out of hand.

In my opinion the “alledged theifs” were innocent and they have just turned them over worse than they’d had done to them, I’m in proper danger of falling out with my friend and her fella about yhis which is a damn shame because before this she/they were completly innocent.

What does the moraltrackworld think?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hob Nobs of choc digestives, pot of English breakfast and a dose of fence sitting.

bedmaker

I before E if it rhymes with key 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rudebwoy
    Free Member

A lesson in look before you leap ?

creamegg
    Free Member

Cant you just keep out of it?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Nice, so ignore it because it’s none of my business??

I think its disgusting personally, why should those other peoples kids suffer because someone else stole someone elses bikes?!?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Eyes of the law technically it wouldn’t be theft potentially if the bikes were the same value as the ones stolen, however he no doubt has committed other criminal offences in the mean time including criminal damage. Not right though just encourages people to beat the sh** out of each other. if they know who has taken their bikes phone the frigging police that’s what they are there for. Problem the police have with bike theft is there is normally no evidence of who took them!!! FFS shakes head some people …. as Mr Nutt says.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why not shop everyone ionvolved to the police, thus treating the criminals and innocents evenly and fairly. Then the police can decide and you can wash the moral blood from your hands.

MrNutt
    Free Member

They claim that the police wern’t interested and had almost implied that it was their own fault and that they were over stretched in the area as it was.

My friend was actually moved to this house by the council because the last place she lived was burgled and her partner of the time was hospitalised. She a lovely lass that wouldn’t hurt a fly, I guess some folk are just born in the wrong placd at the wrong time!

cranberry
    Free Member

She a lovely lass that wouldn’t hurt a fly

I understand that she is your friend and I sympathise with the situation she found herself in, but she is also someone who condones kicking someone’s shed in and stealing children’s bikes.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

This whole situation stinks if I’m honest and doesn’t sound like we know the full story IMO. As Bigyinn says anonymous phone call let the old bill sort it out. Plus I’m not sure they’ve reported it to the police, not as he’ll be thinking he’s getting nicked as he’s gone and smashed someone else’s door in.

I really can’t believe sometimes what people think is right or acceptable.

MrNutt
    Free Member

The apparent destruction of the shed was “to set an example”, which was exactly the same reasoning that was given by the scumbags that hospitalised her Exfella!!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I can’t believe nobody has posted about smashing (back) doors in yet. Oh! 😆

martinhutch

Putting dubious morals to one side, is she really going to let her kids ride around on a pair of bikes that will be easily identifiable to the (presumed) scumbags they were nicked off?

Her kids will get a kicking and the bikes will be gone again.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

“To set an example” great skills that FFS! Need I say anymore, this story stinks, clearly they are setting a great example to the kids as well.

ourmaninthenorth

Eyes of the law technically it wouldn’t be theft potentially if the bikes were the same value as the ones stolen

Eh? Now, I’m no expert on theft, but taking something which isn’t yours with the intention of permanently depriving the owner has always been considered theft, right?

In which case, just because he may have 2 bikes in his hands of similar value to those stolen *but aren’t actually the bikes stolen* tells me that there have been two thefts here: the original and this one.

The apparent destruction of the shed was “to set an example”, which was exactly the same reasoning that was given by the scumbags that hospitalised her Exfella!!

Law of the jungle, innit.

binners

Moraltrackworld? MiddleClassWorld more like?

Having lived in quite a few ‘sink’ estates myself, this is just the way these ‘societies’ function. Its just the way it is.

If you lived on one, you’d either be extracting similar summary police-free justice against the alleged perpetrators, if it was common knowledge around the estate who they were

…. or you’d be perceived as a ****-house (and hence soft-touch easy target) and the next thing you’re getting your car vandalised, and your widows put through every other night

And going to the police is a non-starter, quite frankly

I’m not justifying it BTW. Just pointing out the sad, but harsh realities of life in a lot of places in this country EDIT: actually, sod it. I am justifying it. Sounds reasonable to me. Like the Israeli’s are fond of pointing out, its about ‘facts on the ground’ that count

cheekyboy
    Free Member

This is why we used to have the stocks.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay I didn’t explain myself propery, did he intend to permanently deprive? I suggest not as he’s taken them wanting his in return, I’m sure he would return the bikes once he has his bikes. No permanence there. He’s taken them as they are a similar value to the ones they took therefore he believes he has a right to those 2 additional bicycles. There is no way this would go anyway as a theft unless he said “yup I was keeping em forever”… anyway this still stinks and we aren’t getting the full story, therefore it doesn’t really matter at all!

weeksy

I’m a Scouser… i’m all for this 🙂

I only hope he gave the theif a slap too 🙂

khani
    Free Member

It’s a shock to see how the other half live…

And going to the police is a non-starter, quite frankly

Yep…

thomthumb
    Free Member

i guess it comes down to did the alleged thieves actually do it. or is it just his opinion stated as fact!

Coyote
    Free Member

Like binners said, in some places it is a very sad fact of life. I believe that they also use “instant” coffee…

binners

i guess it comes down to did the alleged thieves actually do it. or is it just his opinion stated as fact!

In my experience, the jungle drums in places like this are rarely, if ever, wrong. This is due to the ‘criminals*’ generally being so staggeringly, breath-takingly thick, they’ll probably have been down the pub, laughing/bragging with their mates about having done it, half an hour later, within ear-shot of half the estate.

Again… this is the reality

* This word actually affords them a status they barely deserve. They’re just opportunist scrotes

Junkyard
    Free Member

What Biineers says in the main

Having lived in some questionable areas it was usually easier to use the grape vine to get yor stuff returned

Often with a a lame excuse of yes i got it from x etc and a few quid as thanks to the “friend” for them helping you
    This was better than violence IMHO but not so much tha it was tempting to keep “taxing” you

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I think its disgusting personally, why should those other peoples kids suffer because someone else stole someone elses bikes stole the price of the original purchase from the taxpayer?!?

Fixed, etc…

binners

Not really Woppit. If these frightful chavs are busy robbing off each other, then they’re not robbing any expensive bikes from nice leafy, middle class, suburban sheds. So… who cares?

There is no doubt in my mind that that is exactly how the Police view it

nwgiles

Coyote – Member
    Like binners said, in some places it is a very sad fact of life. I believe that they also use “instant” coffee…

faints in disgust

MrWoppit
    Free Member

robbing any working people’s nice leafy, middle class, suburban sheds bank accounts

molgrips
    Free Member

Wrong.

You can’t just lynch whoever you assume is responsible for something.

It’s not the wild west.

binners

It’s not the wild west.

That’s very naive Molly. I think you’ll find, that in a lot of places, that is exactly what it is. See my description above.

Woppit – I thought they were Nigerians that did that?

scaredypants

Is this about exhuming Yasser ?

gah, beaten by geoffj

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Woppit – I thought they were Nigerians that did that?

Rarsecyst!

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s NOT the wild west.

People might behave like it is – this is wrong.

beej

What geoffj said – thought the same when I saw the first post earlier today but didn’t want to spoil the fun so early.

Coyote
    Free Member

So what does this one relate to?

grum
    Free Member

It’s not ideal but under the circumstances (assuming the apparent perpetrator really did it) it’s understandable IMO.

therealhoops
    Free Member

If I had the bouncy balls I’d do the same as blokey. I know it’s not right but ringing the fuzz will achieve precisely **** all squared. What goes around comes around. At least the kiddies are happy.

andyrm
    Free Member

Just build walls round places like this.

And fill it with water.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Ethical bike theft?’ is closed to new replies.