Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ethernet scanning – possible?
  • PJay
    Free Member

The charity I work for has just bought a secondhand Hewlett Packard Laserjet 2820 all-in-one scanner/printer/copier. It was a tussle, but finally I managed to get it setup like our other laser printers via ethernet so all the desktops can print to it.

And then of course it dawns on me that Windows SBS 2003 (or any version of Windows actually) has no mechanism for accessing a scanner over ethernet; the old TWAIN drivers require a hardwired usb connection. Checking the manual confirms that the 2820 has to be connected directly to a machine for scanning; Hewlett Packard seem to have made no attempt to get around this.

So, despite having a nice ethernet connected printer/scanner/copier we’re going to have to trail a 10 meterish usb cable to scan, and then we can only scan to one (the connected) desktop at a time.

Is there any way around this are we just going to have to buy a long lead?

scaredypants

I’ve a canon printer/scanner that’s wireless
    Had to install a bit of software but then worked just fine (pretty sure it scanned my network for any printers)
    Can’t believe that it can’t be done via cable

allthegear
    Free Member

Often, network attached scanners like the one you mention, have software you can install on the computers that accesses the scanner over the network. Actually rolling out the software to a lot of computers can be an issue but maybe in your case it’s no big deal just to walk round.

Rachel

molgrips
    Free Member

It’ll come with software that does it, if it’s at all possible. My HP all in one came with HP Solution Centre which is a bit pants but works.

HP have a great download section on their support site. Type in your product name or number and you’ll see what you need.

scaredypants

Networking & connectivity

Built-in HP JetDirect 10/100 Fast Ethernet wired networking

Reduces the time and complexity of networked device installation and configuration

Hi-speed USB 2.0 port

Easy direct connection

HP Toolbox and HP Embedded Web Server

Manage device remotely over a network
    Configure settings, receive alerts, check status and control network and memory card slot access

HP Web Jetadmin

Install, configure and manage multiple networked devices easily via HP Web Jetadmin, which is available for free download

PJay
    Free Member

That’s reassuring, I think I might have been reading the TWAIN scanning method when reading about cable connections, so I might have done Hewlett Packard a disservice. I’m 40% through a monsterous download (we don’t have a driver CD) which hopefully includes all the necessary software. When I press the Scan To button on the printer it reports that something isn’t installed on the PC, so I might be in luck!

molgrips
    Free Member

gh a monsterous download

Welcome to HP product ownership!

Some of their software is good, some is bad, but it’s all absolutely huge.

FWIW on mine you can initiate the scan from the device’s front panel or from the PC. The former has always been a bit flaky, but I am using wireless which I don’t think helps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ethernet scanning – possible?’ is closed to new replies.