Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Etape Pennines Marie Cure Cancer Ride – camp sites?
  • gazerath
    Free Member

Me and a friend have decided to do this ride, entering tonight. Just wondered does anyone know of any close campsites to stay in the night before. It’s 173 miles from where I live and don’t really fancy the drive up before the ride.

Just hoping I can get fit enough for it, did the stoke tour ride 100 mile last week. 60 mile Go run and Ride Cannock Sportive this weekend and considering another sportive next weekend.

aP
    Free Member

We rode it last year, we stayed in a B&B o the outskirts of Durham. When we rode up to the start it was below 0C. The start was delayed because like all UK events the parking wasn’t adequate which was even more galling as we were all standing around for over 45 minutes in sub zero conditions.
    There is quite a lot of climbing which seemed to come as a horrible surprise to some people and the closed road nature of the event meant that road sense was more or less completely lacking from a sizeable number of riders.
    We only rode it because we’d arranged to ride with Nick Stormonth who unfortunately passed away the month before. It’s not an event that we’d consider again.

gazerath
    Free Member

oh really, i was hoping it would be a really good event, in that case I might find something else to do then. 🙁

gazerath
    Free Member

might do the autumn epic in wales instead then

neninja
    Free Member

To balance that view I know a couple of people who rode last year and thoroughly enjoyed the event. They are signed up again for this year.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Signed up for this as a mate of mine was doing it. Sportive rides have never really appealed but thought I’d give this one a go as it looked a nice ride and on closed roads.

It’s annoying me already though as I’ve only just noticed the registration on the Saturday thing. Coming from down south and was going to stay with family half way up, so will likely have a nice three hour drive up and back on Saturday just to go bloody register, then have to do it again Sunday for the ride. I can sort of understand their reasons for doing this but other events seem to manage just fine with registration in the morning. Tempted to not bother and write off the entry fee against the saving in fuel!

joeegg
    Free Member

Is it starting from Barnard Castle ?
    If it is there is a cracking small campsite at Middleton in Teesdale.Next to the river its a short walk into Middleton that has various shops,including a good butchers and a chippie.Probably 15 to 20 minute drive to Barnard.Its called Leekworth Caravan Park.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Etape Pennines Marie Cure Cancer Ride – camp sites?’ is closed to new replies.