• This topic has 121 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by euain.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)
  • Etape Caledonia – Warning, Rant Content
  • kennyp
    Free Member

No, it’s not about the amount of people who think it’s in some way acceptable to wear back packs on a road bike. That’s for another day.

This is a litter rant. I’ve done plenty sportives in my life, but have never seen anything like the amount of discarded gel wrappers and other rubbish left on the roads around Pitlochry this morning. Hundreds of the things. One of the very few times I’ve felt embarrassed at being a cyclist. One of the very annoying things is that I suspect it’s mostly being done by the so called “good” cyclists. The ones who seem to think that the few seconds lost by putting the wrappers back in their pockets is somehow crucial.

Well here’s the thing if any of you selfish gits is reading this. If you were any “good” you’d be off at a cat 1 race or something, not doing a sportive. Stop kidding yourselves you morons. No harm in trying to achieve a fast time. I do it a lot, even if I generally fail. But littering some of the nicest countryside in the UK (or anywhere for that matter) isn’t worth the few extra seconds you gain. You aren’t Chris Froome. You’re a enthusiastic but basically not that great bike rider, just like the rest of us. However unlike the rest of us you are also a complete tosser. Literally as well as figuratively.

Fair enough the odd wrapper gets blown out of someone’s hand by the wind, or maybe they moss their pocket, but that doesn’t account for th sheer volume I saw today.

I’d love one of you morons to come on here and try and justify it, but I suspect on here I’m probably preaching to the converted.

Anyway, rant over. I’m off now to get slightly irritated by the chap who had a mirror on his handlebar. I mean really, it does look a bit naff, do you not see that?

cinnamon_girl

How much was the entry fee?

No need to be nasty about backpacks and mirrors though. 😐

kennyp
    Free Member

Oh and I should add that litter gits aside, what a great day. Bit wet but seen worse. Shambolic start but other than that well run. Marshals and volunteers all superb, and a massive thanks to all the folk who turned out in the rain to clap, cheer and ring cow bells. Loved it.

scotroutes

If you were at the front with the fast guys you wouldn’t see the litter.

kennyp
    Free Member

“How much was the entry fee?

No need to be nasty about backpacks and mirrors though.

Can’t recall but not cheap. Was closed roads though. And I know, each to their own and all that. And to be totally honest, as long as someone is on a bike I don’t really care what they are wearing. I’m hardly a fashion icon!!

fasthaggis

2 out of 10 for a whinny wee rant ,you sound like a pillock. 😛

kennyp
    Free Member

That’s a shameful and offensive thing to write. Will you please retract it

Obviously I don’t really mean it. Don’t get so worked up. But it’s not offensive. Chucking litter all over the countryside is offensive.

cinnamon_girl

Perhaps if riders had paid an extortionate entry fee they assumed that road sweepers would be employed by the organisors.

kennyp
    Free Member

2 out of 10 for a whinny wee rant ,you sound like a pillock

And 1/10 for poor spelling and a lack of a witty comeback.

rOcKeTdOg

if you get hit by a lorry next time you’re out no-one will be weeping any tears for you.

I was with you sort of until I read this. You really wish people dead for dropping litter? If you’d ever experienced death from RTA or someone you know you wouldn’t be flippant about it. Shameful

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

That’s a shameful and offensive thing to write. Will you please retract it

Obviously I don’t really mean it. Don’t get so worked up. But it’s not offensive. Chucking litter all over the countryside is offensive.

You are far, far worse a person than the people you criticise.

kennyp
    Free Member

You really wish people dead for dropping litter?

Obviously I don’t. It was a throwaway remark. And yes I do have experience, so am well aware of what it’s like ta.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Obviously I don’t really mean it.

How are we to determine what you mean and what you don’t? Such duplicity and insincerity can make it very difficult to comprehend a post. Should I assume that anything that is potentially contentious should be considered unintentional; and anything that people are agreeing with should be considered intentional?

the amount of people who think it’s in some way acceptable to wear back packs on a road bike.

**** off.

kennyp
    Free Member

You are far, far worse a person than the people you criticise.

Exactly what part of the phrase “I don’t mean it” is it you’re struggling with?

kennyp
    Free Member

Okay, for the final time on here, my remark about wanting people to be hit by a truck wasn’t real? Understand?

As for the backpack thing, it was a joke. You might not find it funny, but it was a joke.

I despair sometimes.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Did you “mean” any of what you wrote?

legend
    Free Member

hebdencyclist – Member
    Did you “mean” any of what you wrote?

Stop being an arse. The point is that a load of people are manky bastards and need to have a word with themselves, not whether or not you’re getting sensitive about one little (insignificant) part of the post

Spin
    Free Member

I despair sometimes

Dude, you said a really nasty thing and now you’re getting pissed off at people calling you on it. I’d say a straight apology would be the way to go. I always try to remember that there’s no inflection in a written post and so try to err on the side of niceness rather than nastiness or failing that use a smiley to indicate irony.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Stop being an arse. The point is that a load of people are manky bastards and need to have a word with themselves, not whether or not you’re getting sensitive about one little (insignificant) part of the post

Are you his mum or something?

Given that he’s now edited his violent fantasies out of his original post, it’s a moot point anyway.

legend
    Free Member

hebdencyclist – Member
    Are you his mum or something?

Nope, I just agree with him and think you’re being massively over-sensitive about a comment on forum

oldnpastit

Littering is pretty vile, so I’m with the OP on this.

I’m sure whatever it was he said about lorries was meant in jest.

As for backpacks on a road bike, it’s just wrong.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Nope, I just agree with him and think you’re being massively over-sensitive about a comment on forum

Well then, you two should go for a pint. You massive pair of spunk trumpets.

Oh wait – I didn’t mean it.

iainc

Have done the Etape many times, but decided against it this year as its a lot of cash for something that I’ve done before.

I didn’t see the unedited post so cannot comment on the bits that are no longer there 😀

I do agree entirely about the littering though – its quite horrible how many folk chuck away wrappers and stuff like they’re Tour Riders. I have also witnessed some poor behaviour from folks who also think they are riding a Pro Peleton in amongst family and charity riders

kennyp
    Free Member

Actually someone else must have edited it, not me.

However for the sake of all of you out there pretending to be offended, here’s what I really mean.

I hope the next time one of you litter louts is out on a bike that you get a puncture that doesn’t make you fall off or in any way injure yourself, but does prove quite tricky to fix. And it’s raining.

Happier now? 🙂

legend
    Free Member

Well then, you two should go for a pint. You massive pair of spunk trumpets.
    Oh wait – I didn’t mean it.

Bless your wee soul x

kennyp
    Free Member

I always try to remember that there’s no inflection in a written post and so try to err on the side of niceness rather than nastiness or failing that use a smiley to indicate irony.

Totally fair point.

br
    Free Member

No different after an XC race, same crowd it seems (at the front I would guess).

All events should instigate a ‘litter and disqualified’ rule, they’ve number boards – and any littering reported, OUT.

piemonster

I wear a backpack when road biking

I wear it with pride. I’m also quite partial to wearing a curious mix or road/mtb and running kit.

scotroutes

Aye Kenny, your humour is wasted here.

FWIW I did the Loch Ness sportive a couple of weeks ago and didn’t see any litter. I blame all these Southerners

I always try to remember that there’s no inflection in a written post and so try to err on the side of niceness rather than nastiness or failing that use a smiley to indicate irony.

Far better for the reader to assume it’s written with good humour. Too many folk on here wanting to be offended

piemonster

😆 @ “spunktrumpets”

taxi25
    Free Member

I read the op’s post a couple of times and couldn’t understand the fuss, then realised it had been edited Lol. It is a shame about littering but with thousands of people gathering together in one place it will be inevitable :(. I’ve long given getting worked up about it, it’s just a fact of life.

piemonster

Aye Kenny, your humour is wasted here.

FWIW I did the Loch Ness sportive a couple of weeks ago and didn’t see any litter. I blame all these Southerners

Outrageous, I even take away the gubbed pins from a ridiculously long but now broken chain.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I mean it.I’d gladly run over someone who I saw dropping litter.

piemonster

Anyway, I have myself down as an ‘easterner’

To be fair I don’t think most people know where to place Norfolk. It’s a bit unique in ‘certain’ ways.

butcher

My limited experience of gels is that they make a right mess. I think I’ve only used them once or twice when I’ve been given them at Sportives, but I can only assume that those who willingly go out and buy them, throw the wrappers on a ride. You wouldn’t put yourself through the inconvenience otherwise. What a chore they are. Sticky hands. Sticky pockets. Any sportive organiser who gives them out for free should be obliged to walk around afterwards and pick up each and every one by hand.

Cheese and onion sandwich. That’s what you want.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I think the same thing was said about a similar event in the Borders recently. I don’t think price comes into it, littering is a crime. I’ve never entered an event where it has listed picking up your litter as one of the things included in the fee.

somafunk

They should state at the start line that you will need to hand in your gel wrappers at the end before you get an official finishing time/t-shirt, **** cycling certificate, fat mamil etape sticker etc…etc… you are not a highly trained athlete for whom the 2 second delay in placing the wrapper back in your pocket is going to make a difference to your overall standing, you are however (in my eyes) a complete **** for littering the countryside and deserve to be publicly slapped in the face.

Littering the countryside boils my piss as i see the detritus of energy drink cans and rubbish on my cycle to work every morning.

back2basics
    Free Member

the original OP post – littering , cycling or otherwise is effin balls.

as for backpacks
    i have to wear mine, how else can i carry Yoda

pedal you must – huumm humm humhumhumhum

codybrennan
    Free Member

I saw this today, road was strewn with gel wrappers. Awful. Castelli everywhere too.

I managed to blag a free place this year, but will never do it again: for a start, its ridiculously expensive. Secondly, cruising on the Marie Curie name is shameful based on how little they get.

Lastly, 4 years out of 5 the weather is dismal, as this year was. No thanks.

matt_outandabout

I find littering just plain wrong, competition or not.
    Does it really win or lose the race to stuff it in your pocket….?
    Just don’t do it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Etape Caledonia – Warning, Rant Content’ is closed to new replies.