Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Estimates please….
  • DT78
    Free Member

How long do you think it will take to –

1. Remove knackered old fence (8x6foot panels)
    2. Remove old posts & dig out concrete
    3. Paint both sides of new panels (with a brush not spraying thing)
    4. Put new posts in
    5. Put new panels in.

I'm on my tod. Not done it before either.

Is a day a bit optimistic?

nickjb
    Free Member

How many panels? BTW Do '3' first

DT78
    Free Member

8 x 6foot panels

(like for like, fence got **** in November and is held to together with bits of string!)

Yes was going to do 3 first thing tomorrow so it has time to dry.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Scienceofficer
    Free Member

On your tod? No chance, even if you use spikes for the posts instead of concrete.

Kuco

Varies on how easy the old post dig out and also forget the spikes use concrete or postcrete.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

A day not counting painting if you're quick and the old posts and concrete come out easy.
    Dig around the old concrete and try to remove it in one lump. Should be easier than smashing it out.

Try to find some castle postcrete, avoid the hanson stuff.
    I've had loads of problems with hanson not setting and not being very strong. Castle sets in 20 mins and is super strong stuff

DT78
    Free Member

Ah bugger I was hoping to go out for a ride on sunday.

Going to be using postcrete.

Do you do anything to the post before you crete them in? Some of the current posts have snapped at the base where they went into the concrete, rotten through.

And am I right in thinking it's best to do 2 posts then the panel rather than all the posts, then all the panels?

iain1775
    Free Member

took a builder and my useless neighbour helping a full and long day to do 8 panels (no old to remove, no painting) the other month

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Using wooden posts I take it?

They will be already pressure treated, so no painting required. Best thing to do is build the concrete up, slightly above the normal ground level. You can chamfer it off to make it look nicer. This will help keep the base dry, it won't sit in the wet ground all the time and last three times longer

You will only be able to do 1 bay at a time if you use the castle stuff as it goes off really quick.

Dig all your holes then used a piece of timber cut the same width as your panels to precisely align the posts when you put the concrete in. By the time you've got them all in, you will be able to get straight on with the panels.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Oh, one more thing. It will usually say on the concrete pack to empty it in the hole and pour water on, don't!
    Use a sheet of hardboard or very large flexi tub, 90 litre size, to mix it first. It doesn't work very well if you use the pour on method. Be quick though!
    Usually one bag per hole is normal

Kuco

Not used the Castle stuff but I can recommend Blue circle postcrete form Jewson, been using loads of it the past month.

trout
    Free Member

A tip to prolonge the base of the posts
    drill a 1 inch ish dia hole into the post about 6 inches above the ground at a angle downwards and fill with wood preserver and a wine cork to stop rain washing it out refill every year . Used to use creasote but you cant seem to get it now .

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Never thought of that, top tip! Still selling creosote in selco currently.

Kuco
    DT78
    Free Member

Monkey – thanks for the advice, sounds like you know what you're doing!

The postcrete is wickes stuff, can't quite remember what.

Trout – I don't understand how that helps? Does it soak into the timber?

Kuco

Yes it soaks in. iirc BT do a similar thing to inject creosote under pressure into telegraph poles to prolong their life.

Taff
    Free Member

4 panels 5 posts out with the old in with the new 3.5hours. If you're digging out the old concrete then don't use those holes again otherwise you will end up using loads of ballast. If you're on your own use some timber to hold the posts in place while compacting the concrete

valleydaddy
    Free Member

can you get away with leaving old concrete in place and putting holes in different place to speed it up????

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Estimates please….’ is closed to new replies.