• This topic has 25 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Estate you can get 3 bikes in.
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

My car needs have changed as I now drive to commute. Over the next couple of months I am planning in selling my celica and getting an estate and a weekend car. Before I go into MPV territory what estates can I get 3 bikes and 3 mates in? It needs to be very reliable and easy on fuel. Driving experience isn’t that important nor are toys. Budget around £5k.

aracer
    Free Member

Mondeo

Fred closed 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I got 3 people and 3 bikes into a vauxhall corsa once, without folding the back seats down.

But stock STW answers are:

Octavia
    Mondeo
    Anything with a tow-bar rack.

nedrapier

3 and 3 inside a Mondeo Estate is a breeze. 4 and 4 is doable. Economical and reliable, depending on what model you go for.

alexpalacefan

If Mondeo is too large, I get 3 + 3 easily enough in my Focus estate.

APF

stumpy01

Mate of mine has an Octavia estate (well, two of them do in fact). With one of those Thule soft roof boxes we got 3 of us with 3 bikes, a weekend camping equipment and all our kit in fairly easily.

Northwind

Any decent estate tbh. But you’ll ideally want a 3-seat front (uglipla etc) or a 60/40 split seat (Focus, but not all Mondeos- mine inexplicably has 60/40 seat backs but a single-piece base. The backs still fold fairly flat but it’s not quite as good as it could be)

I tried to find out how many bikes I could fit in the Mondeo with one wheel off- ran out of bikes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

3 and 3 inside a v70 is a doddle.

parkesie
    Free Member

3 and 3 in mondeo
    3 and 3 in citroen c5
    4 bikes 2 people in a pug 206 estate

cfinnimore
    Free Member

There’s an estate round here with loads of bikes in it.

None of them belong to the original owners.

Sorry.

MartynS

3 bikes 3 peeps in a 3 series here!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Mondeo, We managed 3 and 3 plus camping gear and kit for 10 days in lake garda last year.

DaveRambo

My Honda Accord takes a frame sideways so you can put 3 bikes in the boot without lowering the seats. If there are 3 people I’d drop the 30% seat and use it for bags.

nickdavies

Focus swallows 3+3 easily with room for kit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Honda civic 2.2ctdi enough room for the split seat to fold down, 3 bikes in, kit packed around them, and still a back seat for a passenger, and 50mpg.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Currenty have an astra h estate which is easy for 3+3.

Also don’t it in an astra and focus hatch.
    The srctewt for me has been 60/40 split folding seats where the base splits as well.

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s this or die

Unless you have this

then you have more balls than a findus ready meal

globalti
    Free Member

Passat, we regularly have 3 + 3 and have even managed 4 + 4 though two were kids.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I’m looking at VW Tourans at the moment. Loads of space inside, compact on the outside.

Diesel gives good mpg and a Bluemotion version is cheap on VED.

The three removable seats make it much more practical than an estate.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2001 passat and do many trips with 3 bikes and 3 people.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Ideally I’d prefer an estate over a hatch but I will look at civics. I like the look of accords so will have a scan on auto trader.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The civic is cavernous with the cantilever seat base folded down, I bought an old table for renovating from a guy in Glasgow, 6′ x 3′ – fitted in the back!.

nbt

reading this, the answer is obviously “any”. I’ve had three and three in a v50, and 3 and 3 plus a weekend’s gear in an Octavia

qwerty
    Free Member

the answer is obviously “any”

Not an A4 Avant.

feisty
    Free Member

BMW 3 series estates have have such a small boot they are like an inverted tardis, I am not sure where is all went?

I have a Mondeo Saloon and I can get 2 mikes and a unicycle in with the seats up so I can only imagine how big the estate is, also of all the cars I have had (and it is many) they are the only FWD car that I have enjoyed the handling of, they are cheap as chips safe and I would really miss the heated front screen.

I also had a range rover for a while and that was massive you could get two bikes in the back with the rear wheels on. taken apart I am sure you could get 5 in there with judicious placement

br
    Free Member

Vectra.

Hatch is big, and estate is huge.

As long as you go for the face-lift ones (post 55) they actually handle too.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Estate you can get 3 bikes in.’ is closed to new replies.