• This topic has 24 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by lcj.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Estate car help – New Octavia or used A4
  • lcj

It’s estate car time and the budget is 15k cash (not interested in finance).

The choices seem to have come down to:

A one year old Octavia esate, 1.6 TDI Elegance/SE-L trim, c.14k miles, balance of manufacturer’s warranty.

Or

3-5 year old A4 avant, 2.0 TDI (probably 143ps) SE trim, 30-50k miles, possibly manufacturer approved so 1 year warranty.

Whichever car I go for I intend to run it into the ground. With the Octavia there would be some peace of mind in it being much newer, service history, and perhaps a simpler more honest car. The A4 would have been a nicer car to start with so hopefully a sturdier bet longer term, but should I be concerned about longer term reliability, e.g. cam belt change coming up, clutch problems and just generally a car that starts it’s life with me that much older.

What does the hive mind say please? I do own a five so both cars fit that bill just fine!

Thanks

somouk
    Free Member

I’d be going with the Octavia. Will be a longer time until it hits big money repairs and when it does get there should be cheaper to fix than the Audi.

lcj

Thanks, that’s what my head is saying. The other side is attracted by the possibility of a shinier thing!

DickBarton

I think the Octavia has more load space…so I’d go with that, but then that is what I’m after in an estate car…the badge makes no odds to me.

momo

Octavia, larger inside and can seat actual real adults in the back unlike the A4.

If you’re looking for long term ownership, Octy also does without the electronic parking brake.

The Audi does feel more refined though, I have a black edition avant (2.0tdi 177) and even on 19″ wheels the road noise is significantly less intrusive than in my old golf (GTD with 17″ wheels), I’m not sure about the latest Octavia, but the previous VRS wasn’t quite as comfy as the golf.

somouk
    Free Member

Have a look for a Passat too, could be a sensible best of both worlds.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’d go with the Audi, on the basis that I’d have to look at it.
    In fact, since Subaru seem to have lost the plot, this is what I’m doing. Are VAG that unreliable though? Have they sorted the water pump issues?

jimjam
    Free Member

You’re losing refinement and gaining noise. That’s main difference imo. FWIW my cousin’s Octavia has just passed 250k miles and is still going strong, virtually zero issues besides wear and tear consumables. Serviced regularly using genuine parts.

If you like the look of the A4 but the frugality of the Skoda have you considered the Seat Exeo? Only downside would be similarly small boot to the A4.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d be going for the Octavia too- if you do average mileage then it’s another 2-3 years worth of mileage less than the Audi. We were in a similar situation with our last car purchase (40,000 milers vs the 14,000 miler Skoda we bought) and the idea of having another few years hopefully maintenance free was a real bonus.

finishthat
    Free Member

You will be paying a massive premium for the Audi – just for it to last years less than the Skoda. Both cars come from the same manufacturer and use the same suppliers for parts, especially the parts that wear.

Solo
    Free Member

OEM warranty would swing it for me.

Esp as it’s VAG.

jeffl

What’s the 1.6 engine like on the Octy, is it not a little underpowered?

ElShalimo

I had a 2013 Octavia 1.6TDi Elegance Estate company car for 18 months – it’s just gone back.
    The 1.6 has plenty of grunt and can easily cope with long motorway journeys. I think if you had four adults and boot full it might slow it down a bit but it’s surprisingly capable. I suppose the 2.0 would be very capable but the 1.6 gives you 55+mpg on the motorway.
    The only problems I had with it were it had a low coolant level once after a rather spirited drive to Pembrokeshire and some front tyre wear. Other than that it’s a really good car. I’d say if you’re over 6ft2 the drivers seat might be a little cramped and look for a model with split level floors so you get a fully flat boot with the back seats down

lcj

Thanks for all the responses, generally confirming what I was thinking that the head should win on this one! We have discounted the Passat as the Octavia seems to give all the room we need with a better trim and condition. The passats seem to carry a badge premium that doesn’t seem worth it.

Have driven several 1.6 Octavias now. They’re not going to win any races for sure, but should have enough grunt for a family cruiser and still return decent economy. Did consider the 1.4 petrol which was much more responsive, but a 1k price difference to buy the equivalent spec and higher fuel costs..

hunta

If you want the head to win then buy a used Octavia, save yourself another £5k+ and spend it on something else.

spacemonkey

I faced a similar conundrum last year and opted for a 60k Passat 2.0 TDi with DSG and enough toys.

Couldn’t find the right VRs nor Superb nor anything else. Bored of Audi and BMW cabins after 10yrs straight ownership. Decided a Passat was the answer provided the right spec came up. Took a while + I bought through a private trader and saved 25% over dealer price for comparative model.

Very sorted car TBH.

rob2
    Free Member

Buy my 61 plate octavia tsi se estate with 34k for 6.5-7k and fsh and buy a new bike 🙂

mindmap3
    Free Member

I wouldn’t rule out the 1.4 – it’s a great little engine and genuinely very frugal. Don’t forget the difference in fuel costs plus diesels tend to cost more to service. If you are not doing many miles you won’t need to worry about DPF’s etc. It will be quieter and more refined than the 1.6 which is a little agricultural.

The Audi will be nicer inside – nicer materials, slighter better design etc but they’re not paragons of reliablity like many people paint them to be (none of the big German co’s are these days). They’re also not that practical in terms of space either.

I’ve recently ordered a vRS company car because it was the best performance / space / spec combo on the list. The interior is fine, a few bits feel a bit cheap but no worse than a Focus. The space inside is massive though.

lcj

mindmap3 – what sort of consumption do you reckon the 1.4 would realistically give? Our test drive of a 1.4 returned just over 30 which put us right off it..

MrGrim

mindmap3 – Member

I wouldn’t rule out the 1.4 – it’s a great little engine and genuinely very frugal. Don’t forget the difference in fuel costs plus diesels tend to cost more to service.

I filled up today and diesel was 3p per litre cheaper than petrol.

irc

Never had less than 42mpg in my 2012 1.4Tsi. Around 45-47 motorway driving. 52 mpg on A road drives at 45-60mph Glasgow to Skye.

Honest John’s Real MPG reckons 46mpg overall or the 2013 Octavia 1.4TSi against 43mpg for my version.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/skoda/octavia-2013

lcj

I can believe that-prices are equal here in Surrey

MoreCashThanDash

I’d get the Octavia. Arguably less refined and more noisy, but bigger boot space and less Audi stereotyping on here!

A mate has the hatchback with that engine, has no issues with power or economy but he’s a plodder rather than driver.

The Seat Exeo gives you another option on the same floorpan.

slackboy
    lcj

Elshalino- thanks for that, good to hear it’s up to the job. Won’t be hauling four adults for a few years yet so I reckon the 1.6 will be enough with the bonus of plenty of choice of cars and good economy!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Estate car help – New Octavia or used A4’ is closed to new replies.