Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Estate agent introduction after 13 months
  • wayniac
    Free Member

I rarely post on here (more of a lurker) but I have a problem I hope someone can give me some advice on regarding an estate agent.

We had our house on the market around 18 months ago and after around 6 months where we had a few nibbles we decided to take it off the market as we had our first baby due. This was 13 months ago.

We had a call from the estate agent a few days ago telling us that somebody is very eager to buy a property of our type in our specific area and they are in a hurry. They asked us if this person can view to which we agreed over the phone.

There has been no discussion at all of contracts, fees or asking price.

We spotted yesterday that they have listed our house back on Rightmove without asking us and at the old asking price which is now too cheap.

If an acceptable offer is made we would sell and we have somewhere we can go almost straight away.

I have a suspicion that the agent is also handling the potential buyers sale, hopefully get this confirmed when they view.

How would you proceed from here?

bubs

Speak to the agent. Nothing is contractual. Reposting could just be a mistake (over enthusiastic junior). The vendor pays the agents fees and so should be working for you, they may just be trying to put a chain together. IANAEA

wrecker
    Free Member

“please stop advertising my house as for sale”

Onzadog
    Free Member

I doubt very much that there is a buyer. Not sure what they think they gain by this tactic but it seems to be a common one.

Maybe they untrustworthy sleezebags are just physically calmly incapable of being honest.

wallop

That’s shocking behaviour on their part. I’d be reporting them to the NAEA or whatever they’re called.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The agent is commiting a fraud by advertising your house. Also as the.price is too low they are impacting your ability to sell for the right price should you chose to re-list (many websites inc rightmove will keep records of whi h hiuses have been kisted and at what prices)

The listing shoukd be removed immediately, you should ask for compensation for the fraudulent re-listing and at the wrong price )unlikely you will get anything). Mention in your complAint you will tKe your complaint to the omburdsmen (requires only a complait letter). You should also contact the website demanding ad be removed as it was not authorised.

FYI standard estate agent contract has a “drop dead” clause of 6 months so even if you sell to a buyer they introduced 6 months after you took the house off the market they get no fee

badllama
    Free Member

Rightmove are complete scum bags I would never deal with them after what they put my parents through.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

FYI standard estate agent contract has a “drop dead” clause of 6 months so even if you sell to a buyer they introduced 6 months after you took the house off the market they get no fee

That is usually the case if you re-market with another agent, but it is quite common for them to be able to claim their fee if you sell privately to someone they introduced within a year.

spooky_b329

Let the buyer view the house, quietly hand them a card with your number and to call direct.

Then call the agent, at some point fee’s will be brought up and you can act surprised and call it all off. (as long as there is nothing in the original contract about it being open ended or renewed by accepting a viewing)

matt_outandabout

I am more intrigued by the house not selling, yet you are putting the price up. How does that work?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

House prices don’t rise in your area Matt?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

would never deal with them after what they put my parents through.

Eh? I thought Rightmove was just a hosting site for various estate agents?? Surely it’s just the EA’s you would be dealing with?

wrightyson
    Free Member

^^this also^^ ?

martinhutch

I imagine there is an implied contract by taking part in the viewing (or at least the agent will be a PITA and argue this), so turning it into a private sale won’t work.

And as they have put it on at a possibly too-low price, it’s hardly likely to result in a realistic offer, unless it was massively over-valued in the first place.

I would personally cancel the viewing, make sure the agent is made aware in writing that there is no contract between you and get the listing removed ASAP. If you want to relist the house, do it with a different agent.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What @martin says – cancel the viewing, remind the agent you terminated their contract 14 months ago. If you take the viewing you will have a world of pain.

If you want to sell re-list with another agent

iolo
    Free Member

Do you really want to sell?
    If so, why did the house not sell first time round?
    Too expensive? not a very nice house?in a not very nice area? and so on……..
    You need to find the reason and then alter the price accordingly as that’s the deciding factor whenever a prospective buyer chooses your place instead of the many other houses for sale.
    If you don’t want to sell, tell the estate agent to do one.

andyl
    Free Member

+1 on cancel the viewing asap. Do it now!

Call agent and tell them to take the listing down immediately.

km79
    Free Member

Put the estate agents up for sale on a commercial property website.

Sundayjumper

There is no buyer, the EA is lying to try and get more properties on their books..

I’ve had the same before. For fun, have a conversation with them about fees, where you make it clear that as they’re acting for the buyer in this case, you expect the buyer to pay all fees. See how they wriggle and how many excuses they can come up with before you tell them to do one 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

For fun, have a conversation with them about fees, where you make it clear that as they’re acting for the buyer in this case, you expect the buyer to pay all fees

This is quite right.

If there actually is a potential buyer, the EA is working for them.

They walked in and asked the EA to help them buy a particular house, the EA then cold called you to arrange what their client asked for.

(It’s all irrelevant though as there isn’t an actual buyer)

antigee

doesn’t help the OP but I did like this:

“km79 – Member
    Put the estate agents up for sale on a commercial property website.”

and put the individual’s Mini on autotrader

wayniac
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

The price thats advertised now is from 14 months ago and since then a new estate has been built very close with equivalent houses in worse locations for a significantly higher price. In my opinion a 5K increase is easily justified.

I guess the house did not sell last time due to 2 other similar properties on the same estate also available at the time both of which were cheaper, one due to a couple splitting up and wanting a quick sale (local gossip). The other was only marginally cheaper but was in a bit of a state. Plus we found out we had a baby on the way and took it back down after only a few months.

We will see who turns up at 4pm?

Hope they are out quick though as the rugby is on!

wayniac
    Free Member

Well well well……..

The buyer was real, gave them by mobile number and they have made an offer, negotiations ongoing!

Have not spoken to the estate agent at all.

The estate agent is not handling the sale of the potential buyers house.

The potential buyer had called in specifically asking for houses in my area and with nothing suitable being available the agent offered to contact me and arrange a viewing.

martinhutch

So who is paying the estate agent fee?

wayniac
    Free Member

I will talk to the agent on Monday and offer a nominal fee for introducing the buyer.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Estate agent introduction after 13 months’ is closed to new replies.