Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Estate agent fees
  • chojin
    Free Member

How much do they charge on average? And how much were yours in percentage form?

Just had the first valuation of the missus’ses’suuses property, which was interesting – matey wanted 2% which I thought was just a little high…

TheFlyingOx

1.2% for us, plus all the accoutrements/VAT. Comes to about £3k all in for a £135k flat. That’s just for selling though. My eyes are watering at the cost we’ve got coming up for the new place 🙁

bradley
    Free Member

Tell matey you’re not paying 2% and see what he says?

br
    Free Member

Its not what he’ll charge that’s important, its what price for the property he can get that is.

I agreed a deal with ours (2 months ago); he said what he could get and his fee. So I offered a lower fee for that price and his fee for the price + £10k. If he got more that the £10k extra I said he could have 10% of any additional.

We sold within the week, at just over 110% of the original thought – maximum really as this hit the stamp duty level. He got more, I got far more – all happy, and they worked for it too, as they knew they could make more money.

deano8
    Free Member

There are fixed fee’s of £995 in the Cambridgeshire area.

ampthill

I’ve only sold 2 houses

I don’t remember the % but it was say £3000 on a £17ok sale (2%)

But I think they earnt it as they were the only etate agent in the chain who gav a monkeys. They checked every one el in the chain and generally kept an eye on things.

If they hadn’t it would have fallen through and we would havelost money and still in the end had to shell out for estate agent fees

So make sure they have some one who they can name who will keep your chain moving.

In the end you get what you pay for

PiknMix
    Free Member

1% for me but this was negotiated, Its wholly irrelevant though as I’m not paying them!

Can I suggest you save some time and money and market the place yourself?

Estate agents are all ****!

PaulD
    Free Member

Paid 1.25% plus disbursements a year ago in Bromsgrove.
    They offered 1.75% including the conveyancing, but my cousin is a solicitor and the 0.5% was more than he charged.

Our experience was fantastic…agent arranged all viewings and constantly liaised with us until the completion…nothing but praise for Andrew Grants Estate Agents.
    I was expecting little and was overwhelmed.

PaulD

nickhart
    Free Member

We just sold ours with 2roost in Sheffield. Four hundred quid all in, we did the viewings but it saved us thousands by spending a bit of time doing it.

tomtomthepipersson

1% +vat here. £4+K they’ll have off us for not exactly a great deal of work.

chamley
    Free Member

We’re currently moving and we’re using an online agent (housenetwork) and it cost us £690 up front and we accepted an offer after 3 months. All our viewers raved about how organised they were. Saved us hundreds over the local muppets.

convert

I’ve yet to meet an estate agent who didn’t come across as a cock end so it pains me to say this but I don’t think price should be used as a reason to go with an estate agent or not. Unless you live in the sort of road where your house will be within £500 of a million indentikit houses up and down the street the starting price is a moveable feast and final negotiation can see thousands taken off to actually get a sale. If you can find an agent that works twice as hard or keeps a book full of buyers that are just right for your house and you sell quickly or for more or both even if they charge twice as much as the rest you are thousands better off too. You might want to smash their smug little faces in as they get in their yellow porshe in their shiny suit and perma tans but ultimately they might be good value for money for you too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Estate agent fees’ is closed to new replies.