Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Essential upgrades for BHF South Downs Way Randonnee
  • Tiger6791

So roll on the 31st July and I'm doing the 100 miles. This gives me an excuse to put some new bits on my bike (Darling I simply need them for this…..)

Got a stock Boardman Full Susser Team ( http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbfs/fs_team.html )

The only thing I've changed are the handlebars as I had some nice FSA carbon ones lying around.

It needs new tyres as I've worn the Conti Speed Kings have worn out.

Was thinking

New tyres? (?? no idea which ones yet)
    Slime tubes?

Not sure what else? It changes gear, stops etc all just fine

singletracksurfer

tyres will depend on the weather as it can get very slippy.
    If you liked the SK I'd get more of them from here
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/tyres-and-tubes Bargainous.

I quite like slime tubes when on big rides and don't want to be fixing punctures, but would have thought you'd be ok without on the SDW and you won't have the extra weight of them.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If not running tubeless, more spare tubes than you think you'll need (3 or 4?). A tyre boot in case the b@stard flint slashes your tyre.
    New comfy saddle? Lighter wheels?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tiger6791

Hated the Speed Kings, slippery little buggers, but being a Yorkshireman got to wear them out before you change them

It's a toss up between extra weight of slime tubes and carry'ing say 3 spare tubes rather than 2?

Done SDW twice now and seem to get loads of punctures from thorns (never from flint)

Also fancy new grips anybody used these ergo ones? Anybody used them?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9686

singletracksurfer

I've had some pinch flats from hammering downhill, but otherwise been ok.
    Go with slime. Less to carry on your back.

Got those ergo grips (with bar ends). Great for long rides – much comfier. Not so good for technical riding sometimes, but that won;t be an issue on the SDW.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A good book to read/ipod, lets face it the SDW is pretty boring, the only challenge is the steap/repeatedness of the hills.

Tiger6791

A good book to read/ipod, lets face it the SDW is pretty boring, the only challenge is the steap/repeatedness of the hills.

Do us a playlist while your off work then;

Britpop, Guitars, that sort of thing

ta 😀

5lab

i'd personally get some skinny, slickish tyres. If the existing ones are worn, they might do nicely. It can get slick on the SDW but its mostly wet chalk – extra tread won't help. Low rolling resistance is the name of the game

You might find some bar ends help as they enable you to alter your riding position. otherwise spend the dosh on energy bars/gels

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Essential upgrades for BHF South Downs Way Randonnee’ is closed to new replies.