Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • espresso / coffee making advice
  • TooTall
    Free Member

Other than that, it’s the same stuff.

Apart from, perhaps, the beans themselves and the roast. So, not the same stuff.

Cougar

Oh good grief.

The difference between (brand and type)’s espresso grounds and (the same brand and type)’s filter coffee grounds is the coarseness of the grind.

The difference between (brand and type)’s espresso grounds and (a completely different brand and type)’s filter coffee will be considerably more.

The difference between STW and other forums is on most other forums pedantry isn’t considered a competitive sport.

Rich_s

Just about coming to the end of my first bag of espresso and dabbling with what to get next… Have tried Lavazza red (which is quite pleasant) and am wondering about asking for a Hasbean subscription for xmas. Has anyone tried that?

Grinding beans is not an option so what source of ground would anyone recommend?

vrapan
    Free Member

Ask for a grinder as an Xmas gift 🙂

HasBean espresso beans are normally very very good so you can’t go far wrong.

TooTall
    Free Member

what source of ground would anyone recommend?

The closest one to your house. Find your local decent coffee supplier and get it ground there. Or save for a grinder.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I want 15b ar on the stove top godamnnit – over to the engineers…

Innes
    Free Member

Are AeroPress coffee makers any good?

TooTall
    Free Member

Are AeroPress coffee makers any good?

They are excellent – no substitute for anything else, but great. I use one every day at work as it is better than anything else available.

martyc
    Free Member

Has any one tried a nespresso machine. My mate swears by his and it’s idiot proof (his words)

vrapan
    Free Member

Aeropress does not make an espresso and it does not make filter coffee either but it does make a really clean, tasty cup indeed and for a quick easy portable way to have coffee cannot really be beat.

Two downsides though, it takes a lot of coffee to make a cup. Forget the 7-8 grams of an espresso, you need twice as much at least and for a mug dose well over 16-17. Second if you use it a lot (I use mine an average 3-4 times a day) over a period of a year and a bit it does not seal as well as in the beginning so you lose pressure and you can have coffee leaking up on the sides and also the filter holder develops a bit of a curve in the middle so you eventually get weaker coffee.

Having said that it costs as little as 17£ to replace.

Stu_N

Nespresso is great. I bought one in August after a lot of thinking about what to get – stayed in a holiday place with one and was hooked. It is really convenient and makes very, very good coffee – seems wrong to me that something that easy can consistently make coffee that good. Sure, it’s not the cheapest or most involving way to do things but for me it’s ideal – to be honest I’m more interested in the outcome than the process.

Some people don’t like it because it does takes the art away from making espresso and puts you in the hands of Nestle for all your bean needs, but with about 15 different blends it’s hard to see how I’d tire of the choices available to me, and I don’t think Nestle will dinghy it any time soon.

Pogo
    Free Member

Designed by Alfonso Bialetti in 1933, approx. 300 million have been made and 90% of Italian homes own one.

Just add

liquid1000
    Free Member

I have a nespresso machines its brilliant and the coffee range is great, no mess and really quick to heat up. Highly recommended.

k-sugden
    Free Member

Hi I would recommend a Rancilio Silvia and Rocky combination I have been using one for the last 10 years the Silva had a new boiler last year easy cheep diy Job. the grinder is way more important than the coffee machine you need to budget at least as much for the grinder as the machine. I would suggest you have a look at http://coffeegeek.com/ before you buy.

Regards Keith

bone_idle
    Free Member

Job Done

MrSmith
    Free Member

nice naked portafilter and posh tamper.

TooTall
    Free Member

Two downsides though, it takes a lot of coffee to make a cup. Forget the 7-8 grams of an espresso, you need twice as much at least and for a mug dose well over 16-17. Second if you use it a lot (I use mine an average 3-4 times a day) over a period of a year and a bit it does not seal as well as in the beginning so you lose pressure and you can have coffee leaking up on the sides and also the filter holder develops a bit of a curve in the middle so you eventually get weaker coffee.

I have no idea what you’re doing there fella. 1.5 scoops of coffee will make a strong mug – just let the first fill filter through as you stir, top up the water then plunge. I’ve used mine about the same rate as yours for at least 2 years, a colleague a year longer and have no seal issues at all. The (tiny) curve in the filter holder makes about no difference as you plunge the coffee grounds onto it anyway.

DrP

I’m nipping out for a starbucks.
    Anyone coming?

DrP

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

so what’s the general consensus on how to make a good cup of tea then?

Rich_s
    vrapan
    Free Member

TooTall the scoop that comes with the aeropress is a 12gr scoop. If you use one and a half you are using exactly what I am suggesting – 18gr, that is well over two times as much coffee as you would use on an espresso maker. Even the maker recommends two scoops – 24-26gr for a 10 ounce mug.

Other than that I do nothing different than you, and I do have non sealing issues as well as the water coming only through the centre on my old aeropress while coming through the entire filter on my new one, so the curve in the middle is making a difference. Maybe my first Aeropress was a tad defective, I don’t know, see how well the second one will do.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘espresso / coffee making advice’ is closed to new replies.