Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Eskimos and medals
  • andrewh
    Free Member

I know we all stereotype a bit as to which people are good at which sports,
    Brits ride bikes
    Aussies play cricket
    Kiwis play Rugby
    Kenyans run marathons
    Jamacans sprint
    Chinese play table-tennis etc, etc…

Question came up today, has an Eskimo/Innuit ever won a medal at anything at World/Commonwealth/Olympic level?
    I assume they would need to represent Canada or USA(Alaska) rather than have their own team?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I know we all stereotype a bit

You don’t say.

sweepy
    Free Member

I saw the eskimo olympics on channel 4 once and it was brilliant, Events included the ‘Ear tug of war’ and ‘One legged high ball kick’
    Well worth a view if its on again

maccruiskeen

Looong ago – at funny times of the day/night Channel 4 used to televise the International Inuit Olympics. Quite a spectacle – sports and games derived from hunting and survival skills.

There was one that involved kicking a thing on a string with both feet that was quite high up, that kept getting moved higher. And another that was a sort of long jump from a standing start, but between take off and landing you have to do a funny dab with your toes on a stick. The latter was derived from a technique of crossing ice flows. Weird to see in a stadium setting as a lot of the events were very static – no run ups for jump, elbow wrestling sitting on the floor, the slippery stick pull. You couldn’t really spot who was a competitor and who was an official until one of them suddenly sprang up in the air

All quite odd. There only seemed to be about a dozen competitors in the whole event and the stadium seemed to contain only the comptitors immediate family and a couple of C4 camera men

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Kayaking?…

Brits ride bikes? Really?

andrewh
    Free Member

Brits ride bikes? Really?

Medals at cycling, sailing, rowing, horse riding.
    As Aussie prime minister John Howard said, “all the sports where you’re sitting down.”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Eskimos and medals’ is closed to new replies.