Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Eskdale/wasdale
  • richardkennerley

Planning on riding from Eskdale Green over to Wasdale head then round Wastwater and back via Mitredale.

I believe the latest “because we can” was filmed there?http://vimeo.com/114495220

Can anyone confirm this and tell me which way round to go, if it matters and if there’s any essential bridleways not to miss?

anc
    Free Member

Nee its not. That is the descent coming off esk hause sprinkling tarn styhead tarn which is great, then off down into wasdale which ain’t that great as you will have to scramble some of the top then its just straight and loose, yawn.
    That descent is better(brill) when you head tuther way to borrowdale at styhead.

anc
    Free Member

ps the route i think your meaning goes over burnmoor to wasdale It can be a struggle in the winter as parts are wet. Its Ok if frozen. The descent into Wasdale is ok’ish but its been sanitised/fixed recently 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    midlifecrisis
    Free Member

When you say

over to Wasdale head then round Wastwater and back via Mitredale.

do you mean that you will ride down to the south western end of Wastwater and go up and over into Mitredale? If so, be prepared for a hike a bike up to the top.

A good route is to start in Eskdale, ride down the valley, up Mitredale to Burnmoon and then enjoy the descent to Boot.

richardkennerley

Thanks for replies. Might have to reassess my route then! I’m keen to get over to Wasdale, I’ve never been that way before and i’d like to see Wastwater. Not sure about going to Styhead as I tend to ride alone and going that way looks like it involves getting pretty remote!

mtbguiding
    Free Member

As Midlifecrisis said – decent short outing

Or if you really want to go into Wasdale, then you can climb/push up through Miterdale, drop from Irton Fell to Nether Wasdale, head up and around the lake then climb south to Burnmoor Tarn. Then descend into Boot. The climb to the tarn is a bit wet and horrible, or it was last time I did it!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve heard the descent thru Miterdale forest is good, but it’s a hell of a carry up from Wasdale (we didn’t get round to doing it). So, as above, up miterdale to burnmoor, down to campsite in wasdale, along wastwater, carry/push up Irton fell, down Miterdale forest.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lake-district-peeps-im-looking-for-a-route-nr-broughton-in-f-or-muncaster

To quote thestabiliser

Irton Pike descent is the best I’ve ridden anywhere.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

That is to say the descent through mitredale forest (just to be clear) – I carried up the back t’was a beeatch. I’d ride round on the road and cheeky up the footpath from the irton pike carpar/layby. You could even then head back up toward burnmoor tarn and descend back into Boot the way you went over to wasdale. Burmoor tarn can be a bit wet as said but its worth it for the views etc even if they have ‘repaired’ the descent. Been a while sine I did this route but would do it again tomorrow if I had the time. Stick to your guns.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Eskdale/wasdale’ is closed to new replies.