Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • ESI Grips – Rubbing Alcohol to install question….
  • Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Got my first pair of ESI grips last week and see that you need to install them using ‘rubbing alcohol’ which after a look on the net this is the equivalent surgical spirit.

The other half has popped to the supermarket tonight so I asked her to have a look for some surgical spirit and she has come back with a bottle made by Care +.

However on closer inspection the ingredients are Caster Oil and Methyl Salicylate – to which I am guessing is not what I should be using?

What have other people used??

crikey
    Free Member

Anything that evaporates quickly; aftershave will do.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

I used alcohol gel (hand cleanser stuff)

Works really well!

fenboy

i used water, no problems at all, left overnight in the shed they will not budge.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Windolene works wonders.

Use it to get them on, leave it overnight & they will be good to go in the a.m.

qwerty
    Free Member

Disc brake cleaner works a treat.

batman11
    Free Member

Mr muscle window cleaner here to left for 18/24 hours all good.

ska-49
    Free Member

I did it with water on 2 pairs. No problem.
    Water works to get them off too.

neninja
    Free Member

Mr Muscle window cleaner here too. Fitted about 4 sets with that with no issues.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

as above,Window cleaner,disk brake cleaner or Isopropynol Alcohol

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I normally use IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) but I have just used the old favourite, hairspray tonight in the absence of anything else!

Clobber
    Free Member

window cleaner

cp

window cleaner for me, worked a treat

zilog6128

Window cleaner. It actually says to use this on the packet (the ones I’ve had anyway). I found IPA evaporated too quickly.

jonba
    Free Member

Anything that evaporates quickly; aftershave will do.

Rubbing alcohol is Isopropyl alcohol IIRC. Fast evapourating relatively low hazard, won’t dissolve the grips.

Aftershave, deodorant, water, disc brake cleaner I have used in the past with success.

matt_outandabout

I used alchohol swabs from first aid.

feisty
    Free Member

put 4 straight zip ties through the grip at 90 degree points around the center of the grip then slide twist the grip on with the cable ties acting as a smooth bearing surface to aid pushing them on, then use some pliers grab the end nob of the cable tie and while holding the grip in place pull them out one by one.

Works for all grips and needs no evaporating lube etc

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

+1 for antibacterial hand wash. Worked a treat and evaporates quickly. Took a couple of minutes to install both grips.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I did wonder about the hand wash stuff, will give that ago.

Many thanks STW oracles!!!

dantsw13

Feistys tip above will work – the reason I go for diskbrake cleaner is it also dissolves any oily residue on the bars.

timidwheeler

+1 Disk brake cleaner.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I used a spray of deodorant. Worked fine and dried but then I realised the instructions said to move the fat part to where your palms are… Didn’t even notice there was a fat and thin part to the grip.

Aside from that, really comfy grips. Only wish I’d got black ones though as I bought orange as they were super cheap. Doesn’t really match anything on the bike but yeah, comfy as and much nicer than my old Oury lock ons.

Wally

Spray mount adhesive works ace on all grips including ESI (which I use)

jonxmack
    Free Member

I put on a set last night, wet the inside of the grip and the outside of the bar then put a squirt of washing up liquid on there too, wrapped the grip in a rag (so I could grip it) then pushed it on while my dad held the other side of the bike as it was pretty tough, probably took about a minute per side.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

water alone does the trick. leave overnight and sorted.
    helps to put your riding gloves on to be able to grip it better.
    i found the super chunky ones a little more tricky to do though.

zilog6128

I found if you wiggle them back and forth to get them on it’s a lot easier than just pushing it! Just don’t lose track of where the thick part is.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘ESI Grips – Rubbing Alcohol to install question….’ is closed to new replies.