Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • ESI grips not sticking
  • davosaurusrex

I’ve got a couple of ESI chunky grips. The yellow ones currently on the bike have always stuck fast with window cleaner but the black set have always moved. Tried window cleaner, hairspray and and a combo but no joy. Just got a set of carbon bars and want to put the black ones back on but not if they move. Any ideas? Renthal grip glue doesn’t get good reviews on CRC, maybe clear silicone? Also don’t to use anything which might compromise the carbon. Ta now.

sillyoldman

I just stick mine on with IPA (disc brake cleaner). Never budged.

rhid

I’ve used concentrated screen wash with great success.

davosaurusrex

Forgot to say I’ve tried IPA on them without success but thanks. Will give the screenwash a go

Northwind

Quite a lot of the things that people suggest can be counterproductive- like, some window cleaner things can work, others leave a slippy residue, totally the opposite of what you want. So if I was you i’d get everything super clean and start again.

akak
    Free Member

My current pair aren’t sticking either, previous 2 were okay. I wonder if they have become a slack fit as they get old.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

WASHABLE. INSTALL/REMOVE WITH RUBBING ALCOHOL- WINDOW CLEANER- COMPRESSED AIR

andysmiff1
    Free Member

I’ve had good success with alcohol gel hand-sanitiser stuff – that evaporates off well.

Although – I have had a pair go “slack” over time – but most pairs I’ve had have been ripped to shreds long before then!

Wally

Spray glue (3M mounting glue) is ACE, any WD40 or GT85 dissolves it away to remove them.

jonnyrockymountain

Never used anything and they are fine, both bikes

stu170
    Free Member

I don’t use anything. And they only move when death gripping. Pig to fit though

ton

good old fashioned spit used to install mine, never had a problem with any of em slipping.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Sounds like they could be contaminated with release agent, the release agent stops them sticking to the mould, usually silicone lube, try washing them in soap and water.

davosaurusrex

Have tried the double concentrate screen wash. They never held from new but maybe they were contaminated with release agent, maybe they were just slightly out of spec. They have a fair few chunks out of them though so if they don’t hold might be time for a new set. Still always seem expensive for what they are but love the comfort. Thanks for the suggestions y’all.

davosaurusrex

Spinning like tops today. Time for a new set methinks.

sonofozzz1
    Free Member

I’ve always used hair spray and never had a problem.
    Never tried to remove and reuse a pair though. Only take them off if they are mullered so I just cut them off and put on new ones.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

I just don’t see the appeal of these grips and this, (and the fact that they look tatty and raggedy-ass after a couple rides) completely puts me off

Are the benefits worth it cos im in the market for new grips

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I have used just water to put them on then leave for a day. Never slipped even in torrential dusk til dawn rain a few years ago

bigjim

Been through about 4 pairs of these grips and only ever used IPA, they only get loose when the ends are torn and damaged and they have been very wet, in my experience.

davosaurusrex

They do get damaged quickly, the fixing can be a pain and they don’t look all that but by crikey they’re comfortable. I have knacked wrists and the difference these made (along with the shape of Renthal bars) is huge so for me they’re worth it.

Will try water /spit on the next pair.

welshfarmer

Wow, mine never move a mm on my carbon bars. But I did blow them on dry with a compressor. Maybe that helps?

davosaurusrex

Got three pairs, green and yellow no problems with window cleaner or IPA but black pair were never any good. Just a duff pair more than likely

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘ESI grips not sticking’ is closed to new replies.