Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Erythromycin nasty stuff – are you allergic to penicillin ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Being allergic to Penicillin I’m always prescribed Erythromycin and I always forget how nasty it is…stomach feels rank head space feels rank…

Help I’m being poisoned !

are you allergic to penicillin ?

gonzy
    Free Member

yes i’m allergic to penicillin too. whenever i’ve been given antibiotics its been erythromycin too.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Erytho and related Abx (Clarithro and Azithro) often do have stomach side effects. Had it myself

Perhaps 9/10 people who think they are allergic to penicilln actually aren’t, or don’t seem to remain so, and it might be worth a rechallenge at some point unless your reaction was severe and immediate. Ask yer Doc…

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

might be worth a rechallenge at some point unless your reaction was severe and immediate.

asked the doc about this a few years ago and he said they don’t do that as it costs loads and can be dangerous…

It says on my notes from being a child that I’m allergic and that was 40 years ago says something like vomits goes unconscious and has dilated pupils…it must be true !

fionap

Yes and I don’t get on with Erythro. either. Last time I needed antibiotics (admittedly some years ago) they gave me something else, if only I could remember what it was. Had far fewer nasty side effects then Erythro.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I’m a doc – and for Penicillin – where most people have had just a rash or felt ill many years ago and it has been labelled as allergy to every single member of the Penicilln family – we often try it again.

But severe or instant reactions suggest possible anaphylaxis and we wouldnt do that outside a hospital.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m allergic to penicillin. Back in ’97 I was very ill with an autoimmune disease. Prior to diagnosis, they blindly prescribed anti-biotics. Despite my file having a big red WARNING – ALLERGY – PENICILLIN sticker on the front, they kindly put me on IV penicillin 😯

It wasn’t good.

I find erythromycin makes me feel constantly hungry. Not pleasant.
    Bizarrely, in overdose, it can cause deafness.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Don’t forget the antibiotic kills the nastys. Inside the nastys is concentated nastyness, which is then set free and can make you feel even worse. I’m no Doc, but it could be the stuff working that makes you feel bad.

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve mostly been prescribed Erythromycin in the passed but recently have been prescribed with Clarithromycin. Erythro used to do my guts in but that was about it, nothing serious though. Clarithro seems better on the stomach but last time I had some i could taste the stuff for hours after taking it – grimm. Last time I took penecillin which was about 20yrs ago I came out in a rash.

avdave2

I’m down as allergic to it after going very red as a kid. I felt perfectly fine however so it may well be I could use it. I’m not sure I’ve actually had any antibiotics in the 35 years since though, I certainly can’t recall taking any.

kimbers

as a baby had anaphalactic shock and had to be revived with adrenalin shot ala pulp fiction

so I steer clear of penicillin

never had problems with other antibiotics though as they kill off gut flora too, it upsets your digestive system

yakult type stuff can help to get things back on track ime

teethgrinder

Cephalosporins?

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife has the same issue – she’ll be glad it’s not just her that feels like crap on the other stuff. However she only gets a mouth rash with penicillin though, nothing serious.

mos

Our 5 yr old daughter has had what appear to be allergic reactions to penicillin too. Erythromycin has her doubled up with stomach cramps which is’t particularly nice to see either. It’s a bit of a worry as there doesn’t seem to be any satisfactory method of treating any infection she may get other than going to hospital.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

But severe or instant reactions suggest possible anaphylaxis and we wouldnt do that outside a hospital.

I concur.
    Do you concur?
    My first near death experience was with penicillin.
    My second was with sulphominides.
    Erythromycin is welcome relief after that and a squiffy tummy an absolute pleasure. I was very young when they dicovered I was allergic to both and I’m more than happy to live the rest of my life without them rather cut it short in an attempt to see whether I’ve grown out of the allergy.

matt_outandabout

mrs_oab is allergic to all sorts and gets popped on erthromycin all the time. Horrid stiff indeed. 🙁

bigjim

Me too, but it has been so long since I was on antibios I can’t remember what I was given, the name rings a bell though. I have stomach problems so maybe get something different.

mrs_oab is allergic to all sorts and gets popped on erthromycin all the time

why would you be prescribed something to kill bacteria for an allergy? seems very odd.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think he meant she was on ethromycin to try and cure the allergies.. presumably for infections but due to the allergies that’s all she can have.

fionap

I’ve mostly been prescribed Erythromycin in the passed but recently have been prescribed with Clarithromycin. Erythro used to do my guts in but that was about it, nothing serious though. Clarithro seems better on the stomach but last time I had some i could taste the stuff for hours after taking it – grimm.

That’s the stuff I couldn’t remember the name of. Didn’t get the nasty taste, luckily.

matt_outandabout

@bigjim – she is allergic to a good few antibiotics.

She has antibiotics regularly, as she has no immune system of her own…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Erythromycin nasty stuff – are you allergic to penicillin ?’ is closed to new replies.