Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Errrr is this might be terminal
  • bigsi
    Free Member

Coming to the end of a 30 mile ride this lunch time when my mate thought his frame ‘felt a bit wobbley’ look down to see that it had done this 😯

Frame has never been abused by jumping it etc etc just standard wheels on the ground downs riding and singletrack and its not even that old.

Scarry thing was that 30 seconds before we had been coming down hill on a tarmac road at 15-20mph which would have hurt if it had gone there and he had face planted it 🙁

Scared the rest of us so much we had to pull in for a pint to calm our nerves 🙄

paulosoxo
    Free Member

The old just riding along chestnut 😉

Is there any warranty on it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Frame has never been abused by jumping it etc etc just standard wheels on the ground downs riding and singletrack and its not even that old.

Yeah right. Pull the other one!

😉

druidh
    Free Member

Is that zip-tied brake cable keeping it together?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

That is an unreal amount of damage, and i cant believe it would still support weight in this state. Did it have a dink in the downtube, or had he just landed to flat or something?

Stoner
    Free Member

that’ll buff out.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Metal fatigue caused by close proximity to an overtight zip tie imho

Hairychested
    Free Member

Wrong usage of the bike, you were meant to own it, not ride!

james
    Free Member

“Is that zip-tied brake cable keeping it together?”
    ” i cant believe it would still support weight in this state”
    It looks like the downtube guided gear cable is stopping it from going completely. Good job the cable was in good condition!

“Metal fatigue caused by close proximity to an overtight zip tie”
    The downtube looks to have failed first, then pivoted about the top of the top tube and the only thing stopping the top tube going all the way through is the mech cable
    If it were tie wrap related, surely it would go at the tie wrap? Not 2″s away, the other side of a cable guide?

EDIT (@ nukeproof): Sorry, I can never manage to not come across as having a go on here, no matter how I seem to phrase what I want to write ..

nukeproof
    Free Member

@James – Oh ooops, did I forget the… 😉 ?

I don’t know what caused it but, knowing STW, I’m sure somebody will be along soon with their engineering know-how

EDIT @James EDIT…and I never manage sarcasm without the use of smilies 😀

Keva
    Free Member

crikey… I reckon your mate was a bit tired after riding 30 miles and decided the only way to get you lot into a pub was to saw through his frame when nobody was looking and then claim ‘it just happened’.

Kev

roper
    Free Member

Does your mate look like this?

neilnevill
    Free Member

looks like the frames has gone at the tube butting, the point at which the thicker butted bit finishes. metal fatigue caused by a stress raiser at the butting….the tubes haven’t been drawn out gradually enough is my guess, so manufacturing defect. Get on to Scott for a replacement

Joxster
    Free Member

A bit of gaffa tape will fix that and then eBay it 😉

bigsi
    Free Member

Yep it was the down tube that went first as you can see (not in the photos) where the failure happened.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Errrr is this might be terminal’ is closed to new replies.