Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Erm.. GHD hair straighteners ..
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

.. For the wife.

Are they worth the money? Are they still the bestest?

Someone must know

Someone must have hairs

Someone must straighten them ..?

Ta

Houns

According to many exes, yes they are

missnotax
    Free Member

Yes and Yes.

They are expensive but the ones least likely to fry your hair (although they all do that to a certain extent!). Lots of deals on them at the moment – have a search online.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Ah right. Thanks

Are there different models of them? What should I be looking for?

The wife’s blonde if that helps 🙂

Cougar

I’m sure it’ll still be fine, I don’t think they’re complicated. You might want to label up the hot end just to be sure.

snakebite
    Free Member

Good point Cougar. 🙂

toxicsoks
    Free Member

The two female offspring swear by them. One’s blonde, t’other is, erm, “strawberry blonde”. Don’t think there are hair colour specific models…….

missnotax
    Free Member

No, they’re all the same except some are wider. If she has really long, thick, curly hair go for the wider ones, if not go for the narrower ‘normal’ ones (I have shoulder length curly hair and the narrow ones are fine!).

The different sets are all to do with the colour of them and the range of stuff you get with them. Worth going for some that have a heat resistant pad with them unless you want burn marks on all your furniture 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

I think the there was a dodgy batch at some point, but the set I bought the other-half (think Crystal-tips from Crystal-tips and Alistair type hair) 8 years ago seem to be working fine. 😀

redwoods
    Free Member

How long/thick is her hair?

crikey
    Free Member

I remember when I had hair.

toby1

They are expensive, but their warranty is bloody good too. They replaced my wife’s after the connection at the back went, no arguments, no stress just a simple replacement. So I’d say they come recommended 🙂

Vern0n
    Free Member

May i suggest chemical straightening as an alternative. Then you dont have them stupid thingies lying round the bedroom all the time. And thing of time / electricity savings…

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

The wife’s hair is errm *thinks*… Just below shoulder length, quite thick and naturally wavey..

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Are they worth the money? Are they still the bestest?

According to my partner, that’s an overwhelming yes on both counts.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Surprised no one’s asked for a picture yet.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

They are expensive, but their warranty is bloody good too. They replaced my wife’s after the connection at the back went, no arguments, no stress just a simple replacement.

When the warranty runs out you can also buy spares and there are aftermarket repairmen.

misssteele
    Free Member

yes they are the best, i have long hair and need the wide plates. I swear by them 🙂

bigG
    Free Member

my wife helps me celebrate March 14th because I bought her some years ago. Buy some and enjoy your annual steak dinner.

MrTall
    Free Member

All i can tell you is that if your wife leaves them on her pillow next to your head in the morning while you’re still half asleep and you roll over and put your hand on them they wake you up very quickly!

But she swears by them (on 2nd set).

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmm interesting.

So… Wide plates or normal? And where to get them from eh?

missnotax
    Free Member

I would say the normal ones with shoulder length hair – but others may disagree!

ian-r

Be careful not buying direct from GHD. Many many counterfeits out there on the interweb. I found out to my cost – one set seized by customs. Other set arrived but couldn’t register for warranty as serial number not accepted.
    Wife and daughter were not happy!

scuzz
    Free Member

They make noises when you turn them on, and stop themselves from heating up if the ambient temperature is outside of their operating limits.
    They look like they’re Kashima coated, too.
    Pretty manly.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Right, thanks all.

I’m off to John Lewis – their site seems to suggest they have myriad GHD’s!

restless
    Free Member

I have long hair curly and use the normal GHD’s.
    Tbh I would not spend that much again, yes they straighten my hair, but so did my old cheaper Babyliss ones.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My other half has just replaced hers with some Nicky Clarke ones, there much better for thick hair in her opinion and can be had for much less than GHD’s.

Apparently they’re well recieved in the wider world too

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmm, the thing is that she’s broken endless nicky Clarke and babyliss ones ..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They didn’t work on my pubes. Fancied a side-parting for a while. My letter of complaint was ignored. 😐

missnotax
    Free Member

In my experience some other brands can really frazzle your hair (especially if you use them regularly) – the GHD ones do too, but to a lesser extent!

BigJohn

Sorry to tell you all that GHD are no longer the brand to have. The designer of GHD set up a new firm, Cloud Nine, and those are the must-haves now.

My sister in law owns a fancy hair salon which is how I know this.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I have a set of GHDs, they’re brilliant. I’d had other cheaper straightners before (Babyliss, etc), and they didn’t do much other than make my hair frizzy and didn’t actually make my hair straight. The GHDs on the other hand do a brilliant job – straight hair which stays straight until I wash it (and that’s without using any product).

As a disclaimer, I’ve had my GHDs for five years, so the other brands may have improved since then.

DrP

Begrudgingly, GHDs do come out as ‘better than the rest’.
    I was looking into cheaper alternatives for an ex once (she wasn’t an ex at the time) and in typical DrP fashion I researched it to the hilt, and concluded “GHDs are worth the money”!

DrP

rogerthecat
    Free Member

My youngest son thinks they are pretty good.
    Yes, I will have words!

ell_tell
    Free Member

Sorry to tell you all that GHD are no longer the brand to have. The designer of GHD set up a new firm, Cloud Nine, and those are the must-haves now.

These are what my fiance uses. Seems pretty happy and warranty served her well when needed – got upgraded to the next model up.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Well, Mrs RRR will soon be the proud owner of some purple GHD’s.

I got them from Toni and Guy in the end.. Bloomin Sheffield city centre with it’s no shops whatsoever ..

Thanks all

toxicsoks
    Free Member

OMG! Not the crappy “purple” ones? *tuts and shakes head*

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hey I was told in great authority (hairdresser) that they’re ace, so there!

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve bought 2 successive girlfriends who moaned about crappy straighteners GHDs, both have been extremely well received!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Can also be used for ironing shirt collars.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Erm.. GHD hair straighteners ..’ is closed to new replies.