Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • erm….. can someone please explain the whole 29er thing to me? Please.
  • nixon_fiend
    Free Member

29ers, great in a straight line 🙂

I have to say though .. they are very quick once up to speed. Feel a bit weird in proper techy stuff though.

I just wish there was a size in between 29" and 26" .. to retain sharper handling .. but still get the benefits of a bigger wheel. Ho hum.

thomthumb
    Free Member

it's so when you need a new wheel 10 days before 24:12, it's a huge panic and you need to build a new wheel rather than just borrow one from your other bike.

now where is that spoke key!!

coogan
    Free Member

They make sense to me if your a tall bloke, makes everything look in proportion. I'm a wee fella and will stick with 26" wheels, as another wee fella I saw today on a 29er looked utterly ridiculous. But hey, he seemed happy enough. Just looked comical.

rOcKeTdOg

29ers, great in a straight line

Depends on which one you've ridden, mine seems no worse than my 26ers

cynic-al
    Free Member

Coogan sure that wasn't a reflection of you on a 26er?

Andy-R

nixon_fiend – Member

I just wish there was a size in between 29" and 26" .. to retain sharper handling .. but still get the benefits of a bigger wheel. Ho hum.

There is – 650B.

ton

29rs are shyte……..fact. 8)

drofluf
    Free Member

Rode a 29er for the first time last week, it just felt better, rolled more easily over the bumps and definitely faster. Nothing empirical though, just my gut feel.

nickc

Quite like the looks of the big wheels too

The opposite reason is why I don't like them, they just look wrong. Which I'm totally happy is a ridiculous reason, but there you go.

coogan
    Free Member

So mean Al, so mean. After me driving you everywhere last weekend. Cut me deep.

yossarian
    Free Member

29ers are the faster/better/bigger/cooler/nicher and just plain everthinger that w hatever was the last faster/better/bigger/cooler/nicher thing.

if you haven't got one yet just accept that this time you've missed out on the bandwagon.

clubber
    Free Member

32ers are where it's at.

Then 36ers.

rootes1

Quite like the looks of the big wheels too

The opposite reason is why I don't like them, they just look wrong. Which I'm totally happy is a ridiculous reason, but there you go.

this is where frame size has an effect… big frames suit the big wheels whereas small frames my the 29er wheels look mad

rootes1

i'm the same size now as back in the day..

think my 21" 29er swift looks better as it is more in proportion

than my old 22" with 26" wheels Dale

ps someone unkindly taped a gate hinge to the headtube of this bike once…. and I could climb through the frame lol

sloping TT and other changes help, but fundamentally the 29er looks better as a package – also unlike the dale it has not snapped or been stolen yet – but doubt that is down to the wheel size

TooTall
    Free Member

No. I won't. If you've not got it, try riding them. If you still don't get it, fair enough. However, riding a bike tends to be the real test of a bike.

Or the STW Test Ride, being 'looking at a picture on the internet, sucking your teeth and slagging it to kingdom come' – which may not really be as effective.

ourmaninthenorth

Having seen BD's Surly close up at the weekend, and miketually's (loaner) Ragley, I have concluded that irrespective of my short stature, these bikes look just the thing.

Of course, with junior North imminent, there'll be no more bikes for me. Ever.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘erm….. can someone please explain the whole 29er thing to me? Please.’ is closed to new replies.