Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Erlestoke (is it like Thetford?)
  • readikus

I’m thinking about giving the 6 hour race at Erlestoke a crack on my rigid single speed – is that a crazy idea? How flat/jumpy is it?

gary

Based on the last time I rode (a few years back now) the course is more rolling than Thetford typically is (a good thing) but not super hilly (also good).

I did the 12h race on a rigid SS, and doing it again this year, so no, not crazy at all 🙂

brassneck

The main climb is pretty steep, but mainly on road/track so doable. You always have the get off and push gear, but I think only thmain climb when knackered would warrant that.

If I remember right it was around 200m of climbing per lap so not really like Thetford at all.

Great course though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DanW
    Free Member

Last year was around 270m climbing per lap. It was an absolute disaster for me and a SS would have been an advantage in the mud! Should be back to running fast this year though. As others have said, it is fairly rolling and good fun

grtdkad

Looking forward to Erlestoke. Anything we should know about local conditions, it looks like it’ll be dry for Friday and Saturday …

For tyre choice I’ve ditched my Racing Ralphs and have Rocket Ron and Nobby Nics with me. Hopefully not too claggy!?

nutty1975
    Free Member

Anyone know if there is camping Friday evening ?

grtdkad

Not much info on the event page.
    I’ll be in my tent. Somewhere.

DanW
    Free Member

If it is dry then Burts are no problem. Very claggy in the wet and you’d need Beavers and a ton of will power! Fat bike is another option if wet 😉

singlecrack
    Free Member

It’s been very wet all week down this way so far, looks like it will continue until Friday if the forecast is to be believed then drying up for the weekend ..I’ll be on rigid ss also

slugrider
    Free Member

I live on the doorstep and last night I fitted my beavers front and rear. It might dry up a little but then it will just be claggy so I suggest a tire that clears easily, I’m riding round the area tonight so will report back.

benji
    Free Member

I’m coming to play but so far they are winning the worst organiser of the year award from me. No information sent, all I have to go on is what is on xcracer website, very poor.

al

Fair play Slugrider, I’m 15mins away and staying in tonight. Horrible out there! From the comfort of my sofa I can tell you what it’ll be like over there, muddy, slippery, fun!

gary

I’m coming to play but so far they are winning the worst organiser of the year award from me. No information sent, all I have to go on is what is on xcracer website, very poor.

I’m crossing my fingers that they remember to show up to run the race 🙂

singlecrack
    Free Member

Just heard it may be cancelled. .anyone had an email .?

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

just seen on facebook,
    MOD been a pain to deal with as usual.

“So, after waiting and waiting in vain we have had to make a decision tonight. Due to the military not being in a position to issue us with a licence after weeks and weeks of chasing them we have had to make a call. The Erlestoke 12 is cancelled, we are extremely frustrated and disappointed at this call, but we have no other course of action. We hope you understand our decision and we hope that there can be further events in the future, as you know we do not run these events for profit and any money we clear is donated to many charities.”

grtdkad

Yup. Had my email. Shame.

gary

Email here too. Have to admit I had half been expecting one on the basis of the low numbers of entries showing up on XCRacer anyway – I was anticipating quite a lonely second half of the race!

Hopefully they can get something sorted with the MOD by May, I was really looking forward to getting back the event after missing the last few.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Saw that coming a mile off after the original move, website wasn’t work be all summer

benji
    Free Member

Not impressed, that’s two hotel rooms they’ve cost me now, I won’t be entering again, it’s been a total farce. Easy to blame the mod than say we have got low entries. They are well named after there meaty namesake spam, sounds great, leaves a nasty taste.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Really gutted for the organisers; they don’t do it for profit so they don’t have to worry about numbers, benji. Go stay down there anyhow. It’ll still be nice riding there!

It’s the most enjoyable race I’ve done. Fingers crossed Landmarc (MoD Estate Mgt) get their act sorted for next year.

slugrider
    Free Member

Benji, I live local to erlestoke if you want to use the hotel we can go riding?

A few of us who were racing are now going to swinley instead if anyone else now thumb twiddling is keen?

benji
    Free Member

Thanks ever so much for the offers of a ride, but adding 8hrs of driving on top is a bit far for a jolly.

brassneck

Not impressed, that’s two hotel rooms they’ve cost me now, I won’t be entering again, it’s been a total farce. Easy to blame the mod than say we have got low entries. They are well named after there meaty namesake spam, sounds great, leaves a nasty taste.

Whilst I feel for your situation, having attended many many SPAM events you’ve got them wrong. Should have called it earlier I agree, but I would have no doubt they were doing what they thought best.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Slug, where are you based?

This is going ahead on Sunday regardless. Not too far away.

INFO

qwerty
    Free Member

25 years of filth

😯

slugrider
    Free Member

Westbury, Wiltshire Mike

slugrider
    Free Member

Mike, my email is in my profile if you need to get hold of me.

Everyone else, a few of us are going to swinley instead of the twelve now, the more the merrier!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Erlestoke (is it like Thetford?)’ is closed to new replies.