Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Eric James Brindley Nicolson, thankyou…
  • robdob
    Free Member

….or it should be Wing Commander Eric James Brindley Nicolson VC DFC, the only Battle of Britain pilot and the only RAF fighter pilot to be awarded the Victoria Cross during the Second World War.

He was 23 years old and a Flight Lieutenant in 249 Squadron, Royal Air Force during the Second World War when he was awarded the Victoria Cross. On 16 August 1940 near Southampton, England, Nicolson's Hurricane was fired on by a Messerschmitt Bf 110, injuring the pilot in one eye and one foot. His engine was also damaged and the petrol tank set alight. As he struggled to leave the blazing machine he saw another Messerschmitt, and managing to get back into the bucket seat, pressed the firing button and continued firing until the enemy plane dived away to destruction. Not until then did he bail out.

His quote, when he spoke later, was that he said "I'm going to teach you some manners, you Hun!" as his skin was burning and flaking off, his petrol tank on fire and now severely wounded.

He never saw the end of the war, but we do. To him, and all who didn't get the medals but fought for us instead, thank you.

JulianA
    Free Member

Very hard for Fighter Command pilots to get VCs as, for obvious reasons, their bravery was rarely witnessed.

There is a memorial stone to him in the grounds of Phillips' factory on Millbrook Road in Southampton.

It used to be the case that you could go and look at it if you talked nicely to the guys on security at the premises. I hope it still is the case.

Apparently the Home Guard person who was on the scene when he landed had to be taken to hospital too, as the crowd tried to lynch him for treating Jamie Nicholson badly as he thought he was a German!

Nicholson was later killed over the Bay of Bengal, I think.

Brave guys, all of them – all of the forces, I mean.

Solent Skies (used to be Southampton Hall of Aviation) is well worth a visit if you're down that way.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Eric James Brindley Nicolson, thankyou…’ is closed to new replies.