Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Eradicating nicotine/ smell from antique furniture.
  • brack
    Free Member

Anyone know how to irradiate the culmulative effects of furniture that has been in a house with a smoker?

I have just bought a beautiful Edwardian wardrobe, it’s a perfect fit for a very awkward sized recess.

Only problem is… I gave it a quick wipe inside and it has ‘activated’ a strong nicotine smell, with lots of brown muck coming off the inside. It is a very well looked after piece…but years of being around at a time when smoking was much more fashionable has perhaps left it’s legacy.

I don’t want rid of the wardrobe .. I love it. And nuking/ burning it is not a sensible option :@)

So how to get rid of the smoky smell? So far … 2 hot soapy washes, 2 sugar soap wipes, a diluted bleach wipe, a hot water wipe.

Any other tips/ solutions ?

Tracey

We have had the same problem in the past and found that diluted white vinegar works well.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I gave it a quick wipe inside and it has ‘activated’ a strong nicotine smell, with lots of brown muck coming off the inside.

Whatever that brown muck is I doubt that it is nicotine tar, unless they were making a point of smoking inside the wardrobe.

Any other tips/ solutions ?

Once it’s settled down don’t activate the strong nicotine again ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brack
    Free Member

Thanks guys

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Eradicating nicotine/ smell from antique furniture.’ is closed to new replies.