Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • er, explain, i am seriously confused, Tram/bike content
  • mrmo
    Free Member

tram/bus/taxi/cyclepath

I fail to see how anyone could be stupid enough to think that painting bicycles on tarmac isn’t going to be taken to be a cycle path, how anyone could think that cycling in front of a tram is sensible etc.

druidh
    Free Member

What tyres for tram lines?

P1040207 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

martinhutch

You can’t train that kind of dumbness. It’s only a fortunate few who have it naturally, and fortunately Edinburgh has hired them to organise its transport systems.

leffeboy

Fairly standard in Europe I think. It only counts as an official cycle lane if the there is a white line on the side, otherwise it just means that cycles are allowed

but yes, it’s silly. If you don’t know the rules then you think it’s a cycle path because that’s what you would imagine a path with a bike painted on it is

lister11
    Free Member
    mrmo
    Free Member

seen this happen too in NZ.

By Auckland Fishmarket.

At least you aren’t expected to run parallel.

lister11
    Free Member

That’s one of them!

I actually meant that I’ve seen the real life event, as though the sign came to life, an ex properly supermaned over the bars!

Apparently it was ‘not funny’. I thought differently.

crazy-legs

The extensions to the Manchester tram system currently being built have various cycle paths that cross them, all at good angles. Cycle provision in Manchester is somewhat shit at the best of times and the road surface is generally pretty rubbish (although it has to be said, Edinburgh wins hands down as having the worst road surface I’ve ever ridden on!) but at least Manchester’s tram network and it’s integration with other traffic has been considered.

Edinburgh council has no idea about how to run a bath never mind a transport network.

glenh
    Free Member

Wtf is the point of trams anyway?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nottingham is about to do the same. Cycle lanes running along tram lines.

mrmo
    Free Member

i do wonder what trams give that trolley buses don’t?

lister11
    Free Member

project
    Free Member

Trams run on dedicated lines,with no other rail traffic,out of town and use existing heavyt rail tracks and share the road with cars and buses in town, theyre limited stop services, run on electric, and sometimes with regenerativbe braking so they put power back into the lines.

They carry more people than a bus,but cost more to buy, they can travel faster than a bus due to being segregated from road traffic in places, unless you count in the guided busways currently being built, think scalextrix bus lanes.

mrmo
    Free Member

Just thinking about Geneva which has a mix of buses, Trams and Trolley buses, the trams and Trolleys run off over head electric power supplies, yes the former are bigger but as you mention do require a huge amount of infrastructure. The later require far less investment are less intrusive in that less steelwork is needed at road level. Both would massively improve air quality in many towns by getting rid of diesel engined buses.

I guess the flaw in any public transport system in the UK is the cars in the way and heavy forbid someone suggest cars should be removed from the mix.

project
    Free Member

Both would massively improve air quality in many towns by getting rid of diesel engined buses.

Quite a few cities are using hybrid buses, either gas powered, or diesel electric , where a diesel engine is used to power the vehicle to start off and then power is supplied by batteries, theyre quiet, and dont use a lot of fuel, cost a lot more though.

Then there are battery buses that just park up and get recharged by parking over a grid set into the floor, its all low voltage so peds dont fry.Works on the same principle as electric toothbrushes and their contact charger.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve done that in sheffield, f*****ing hurt!

I don’t even think it was the rail, i thnk it was the concreet they made the roads from where the rails are set in plus some diesel.

rickmeister

There are no trams in Edinburgh. If you want to see one, you have to go to the Tram Museum which is nearly complete, at the end of the bypass near Gogarburn.

They are all there outside on display, apparently the grey building is the gift shop.

faz083
    Free Member

Unlike buses, the tram path is fixed by the track – keep out of its way.”

Decent advise here!

bigjim

Danny MacAskill would have problems.

Hmmm

RustySpanner

Ah, Manchester trams.
    Take a perfectly good rail service that carries bikes.
    Then replace it at great expense with a tram service that doesn’t.

Genius.

atlaz
    Free Member

i do wonder what trams give that trolley buses don’t?

They corner on rails!

IGMC

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘er, explain, i am seriously confused, Tram/bike content’ is closed to new replies.