Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Er, bolt cropper-ing a bike lock… tips please
  • ourmaninthenorth

I need to retrieve one of my bikes, and have lost the key for the lock.

Will regular bolt croppers go through a wire lock? If so, anyone in/near Manchester got a pair I could borrow.

Cheers

Tom

Yes, this is a serious request….

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

if its a cable/wire lock then a decent set of cutters will go thru it like butter.

If by “retrieve” you mean it is in a public place, then I’d tell the local police what you will be doing and take any receipts etc you have to avoid getting arrested.

soobalias
    Free Member

hire a set from HSS for about a £10 a day if you dont know anyone with a set.

rootes1

report it to the council as abandoned, they remove it, then you claim it back

ourmaninthenorth

My bike. Locked up in the velodrome in Manchester. I won’t be riding it this winter (new baby) and, as I sub-let the hook from a friend, have decided to retrieve my bike and store at home.

I will, of course, be having a chat with the Velodrome manager before I do this….

antigee

if indoors and got power and access to an angle grinder (with metal cutting disc) that will do it

soobalias
    Free Member

probably the velodrome manager can put you in touch with the maintenance guys….. bish bash bosh done.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I left a dura ace 953 track bike locked there too, could you get it for me?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Just go all incredible hulk on it

Northwind

If it’s a cable lock you’re about to be shocked by how poor it is, I reckon.

sockpuppet

cable lock = seconds with a hacksaw, IME. unless it’s a really good one.

but fit a new blade, natch. it’s scary how easily they cut.

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

Done a cable lock with a hammer and chisel before!
    I misplaced my keys too 😳

Northwind

My brother lost the keys for his “really good” £10 tesco cable lock, so one of the security guards came down from the office to help… Dave thought he’d bring a hacksaw or boltcutters, nope, pair of Ikea kitchen scissors. 5 seconds later, bike is freed, scissors are unmarked, actually easier to undo it by cutting it than it was to undo it with the keys.

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah this reminds me of time I cut through a kryptonite lock by using a rizla paper spinning between my fingertips.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

If it’s a U-lock get a Bic Biro and bite out the end. Pop th e’shaft’ of the pen into the shackle and you’ll be amazed how easy it is to open it up.

Cougar

I’ll be deeply shocked if the Velodrome maintenance guys don’t have a set of crops, they probably have to liberate bicycles chained to stupid crap / other bicycles on a daily basis.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Er, bolt cropper-ing a bike lock… tips please’ is closed to new replies.