Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Equality Training.
  • phil.w
    Free Member

We have a day of ‘equality training’ at work on Monday. While I’m all for the sentiments I really don’t need a lesson in it.

So to make the day more enjoyable can you help me with some amusing (but on topic) questions to ask please. 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

“how come there isn’t a *insert skin colour* teacher teaching us this course? or at least one as your sidekick to balance things out and make it equal?”

“do you think women should be employed to do mens jobs?”

you could have some real fun with this one

wwaswas

Are singlespeeders discriminated against by those with gears – shouldn’t everyone have to get off and walk the steep bits?

bassspine
    Free Member

I had to attend one. It was more thought provoking than I expected.

Ask about the protestors burning poppies during the 2 minute silence today and whether they had more right to protest than the students. That ought to start a debate…

philconsequence
    Free Member

the one ive always wanted to ask:

“how come female care staff are allowed to bath male patients, but male staff arent allowed to bath female patients? isnt it wrong to assume men are comfortable with someone of the opposite sex seeing them in such a vulnerable position and the outdated attitude of women being safer is actually wrong as proven by the recent press surrounding female abusers/paedophiles etc?”

backhander
    Free Member

“What should I do if one of the birds is on rag week and is being orrible?”
    Or how about
    “What if one of the bend……oh, sorry what’s the correct term for benders these days?”

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m right in thinking that I should be treating women as if there were equal to men?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

philconsequence – Member

the one ive always wanted to ask:

“how come female care staff are allowed to bath male patients, but male staff arent allowed to bath female patients?

There is no rule about it. Patients have the right to ask for a carer of the same sex as them. some places may have local rules but I have never worked where this occured

IanMunro
    Free Member

My religion says gay people are an abhorrence and will burn in hell. How can I treat them as equal and stay true to my beliefs?

phil.w
    Free Member

that’s a good one phil, as long as TJ’s not there to answer it 😉

i’m definitely going to start by checking both teachers are paid the same (especially if ones a women).

DaRC_L

My religion says all-people-not-of-my-religion are an abhorrence and will burn in hell. How can I treat them as equal and stay true to my beliefs?

philconsequence
    Free Member

TJ – i know they can ask (in most cases) but the assumption is still there in many care settings, examples from my personal experience:

long term care for elderly mental health clients the kind who celebrate 50 years of being an inpatient – ex big institutions) – male patients being told to shut up and stop moaning whilst being bathed by female care assistants.

learning disabilities home in the community – not able to ask… dont get the option… again assumed that they’d be fine with a women, despite a couple of them showing clear behaviour that would suggest being uncomfortable around females but not men when it cam to personal care.

🙁 sad, but still happens!

philconsequence
    Free Member

as you walk in:

“when does the real teacher get here love?”

keep nudging the people around you saying “good job the little lady doesnt get put on one of these courses, dont want ‘er getting any ideas now!”

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

“In this day & age of cost cutting, why are we sat here wasting a days work?” usually goes down well on equality & diversity training days.

midlifecrashes

“I’m a high functioning alcoholic. You won’t discriminate against me if I have these cans of Tennents Super while you blether on?”

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

phil – my point is that male carers are allowed to bath women patients.

What you have seen is poor practice not discrimination. Thats a lack of sensitivity from the carers.

I looked after a man 30 yrs ago who objected to female carers and his wishes were respected

avdave2

I’d ask how they plan to spend their redundancy money.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d ask whether or not you should tolerate someone who has a woman walk two paces behind for cultural reasons if you’re expected to challenge inequality. Why does his cultural oppression of women out rank your wish for equality?

Might open a lively debate.

iDave
    Free Member

avdave wins

gusamc
    Free Member

why are there seperate competitions for women ?

if there is a fire or the training room starts sinking I assume I can’t shout women and children first ?

can I wear a skirt to work ?

why doesn’t it apply to religious organisations, surely that in itself is discrimination against non religous people ?

bassspine
    Free Member

bet you they’ve heard all these before.

project
    Free Member

Should gay carers be allowed and told to wash male patients,

Why are all bike forums not classed as equal,

What is being done to reduce incidents amongst roadies of mtb-ophobia,

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Equality Training.’ is closed to new replies.