Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Equality in sports
  • druidh
    Free Member

So, Tessa Jowell wants nore equality in the olympics. She reckons it’s not fair that there are mode medals available for men than there are for women. Surely, she’s missing the point though? If women really want equality in sport, they should compete in the same events, against the men.

alpin
    Free Member

i thought there a finance crisis. they’ve obviously better things to do in whitehall than think of the well being of the nation as a whole, not just that relatively small %age of 50% of the nation. get people playing sprts first till the point the general public give a toss.

don’t think level playing field with men is the answer though.

aracer
    Free Member

In general I agree with her – why should Chris Hoy have the chance of winning 3 gold medals and Victoria Pendleton only 1?

Ewan
    Free Member

What a load of crap. Women’s heavy weight wrestling? Who wants to see that?

It’s political correctness good mad. 🙄

roper
    Free Member

Well they could introduce more women specific sports like Mud Wrestling into the olympic games.

andym
    Free Member

What aracer said.

Why should a male cyclist have the opportunity to get more medals than a female simply because there are more events for men?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I read the idea somewhere that the Olympics are fundamentally racist as well. I foget quite why that was. I decided I did not care. Sorry…

druidh
    Free Member

But why should there be separate womens events at all? It would be the same number of medals if everyone competed in the same events.

aracer
    Free Member

Why should there be events for humans? Can’t I just enter my greyhound in the 400m, my dolphin in the swimming, and my bear in the wrestling?

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

I think if Tessa Jowell had her own way it would not be good as how many women could compete with men, they would have a chance at the bigger prize but realistically what chance would they have of getting a place.
    And more importantly what would happen to womans beach volleyball? 😥

jester
    Free Member

There should be total equality, men & women medals for every sport. IMO the olympics has no cerdibility until it does this!

jedi

why is womens prizemoney for the same event less than the men?

druidh
    Free Member

jedi – Member

why is womens prizemoney for the same event less than the men?

Because they’re not as good as the men?

roper
    Free Member

aracer, Do you own a Zoo?

IanMunro
    Free Member

There should be total equality, men & women medals for every sport. IMO the olympics has no cerdibility until it does this!

It’s also biased against the genetically sub-optimal, the underfunded and the lazy. Unless they give out medals for all, it should be renamed the Eugenics.

molgrips
    Free Member

Back under your bridge, druidh!

Although there’s a proper point there somewhere. Women should compete against the men where speed/strength are not a factor. Like snooker or bowls for instance.

And there should absolutely be the same events for men and women. The situation in the cycling is a disgrace. Not to mention the prize money thing at Wimbledon (unless they fixed that already?)

molgrips
    Free Member

If you don’t want seperate Men’s and Women’s events, then why have U20 and U16 etc events?

I want to see rugby being played at school with the year 11s flattening the year 7s – great sport!

trailmonkey

Not to mention the prize money thing at Wimbledon (unless they fixed that already?)

Why should women get equal prize money at Wimbledon when they only play 3 set matches ?

uplink
    Free Member

Not to mention the prize money thing at Wimbledon (unless they fixed that already?)

same now I think

but don’t the women only play for 60% of the time the men do? [3 sets Vs 5 sets]

That’s not on that – working more for the same pay 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think it depends top some extent on what the point of the Olympics is. I assume it’s for entertainment, I suppose. If that’s right (and it doesn’t entertain me personally) then that’s fine, and it should consist of whatever provides entertainment. If that means 50:50 men’s and women’s sports then that’s fine.

If actually it is about fulfilling the potential for glory of a hand-picked clique of elite sportspersons who reckon they deserve the opportunity to win medals on some sort of equal basis then it could be trollishly described as a massive vanity project which, for some bizarre reason, we are paying 4.2 GAZILLION pounds for the privilege of. And that is truly odd.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Why aren’t the men on here also up in arms about the fact that there’s no synchronized swiming event open to them?

trailmonkey

Why aren’t the men on here also up in arms about the fact that there’s no synchronized swiming event open to them?

Good point. Or that thing where they dance around with a ribbon on a stick.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I dont see any reason why they shouldnt have the same number of events, if they have sufficient numbers of athletes to take part.

As for competing in the same events as the blokes, if that needs answering I think we need better biology and physics lessons in school first.

aracer
    Free Member

Personally I’ll happily neither watch nor take part in such an event!

druidh
    Free Member

If it’s OK to differentiate on biology and physics, how come there aren’t separate events for short folk (e.g. high jump).

coffeeking
    Free Member

If it’s OK to differentiate on biology and physics, how come there aren’t separate events for short folk (e.g. high jump).

Because short folk (or insert any naturally biasing attribute, such as obesity) would never compete at that level, let alone with members of the opposite sex.

druidh
    Free Member

But that’s just my point. Surely if you’re not good enough, you don’t get to compete “at that level”. Why have separate gender events and not separate height events?

aracer
    Free Member

I agree, druidh – they already have separate events in wrestling and weight lifting for smaller folks, so why not in other sports?

coffeeking
    Free Member

But that’s just my point. Surely if you’re not good enough, you don’t get to compete “at that level”. Why have separate gender events and not separate height events?

I personally wouldn’t find an all-male olympics very interesting. ~And aside from that, the fact that they’d never compete would simply mean no women would ever try.

BoardinBob

Had to chuckle when the Williams sisters proclaimed a few years ago that they could compete on the mens tennis tour.

They played a set each against Karsten Braasch, a German pro described as “a man whose training regime centred around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager.”

He thrashed them 6-1 & 6-2 and smoked a ton of cigarettes during the changeovers. 😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t find an all-male olympics very interesting

Yeah, but to counter that you’d add new olympic disclipines.
    Flower arranging,
    Shoe buying timetrial.
    Arguing.
    That sort of thing.

bartat
    Free Member

if there are far fewer female competitors than male (or vice versa) in a given event why shouyld there be the same number of medals?

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe the women should just get smaller medals in that case.

AndyP
    Free Member

Possibly because most blokes would prefer to compete in a real sport. one which doesn’t just involve grinning inanely whilst wearing a 3″-thick layer of makeup.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Druidh dearest, I challenge you to an arm wrestle…. 😉

Olly
    Free Member

So organise more events for women?
    its not like “men” do all the organising, and are giving them a bum deal, if they want more events, stop complaining and get on the case.

I always wondered why no women rode the tour, is it because of rules?
    same for football (spit spit, wash your mouth out), why are no premiership players women?

I hate equality, its only used when it suits people. you dont hear about women complaining they stand less of a chance at being binmen or sewage service workers? smaller frames would make them better at the later surely?

it should work both ways, and it doesnt.
    grrrr ranty ranty

druidh
    Free Member

jojoA1 – Member

Druidh dearest, I challenge you to an arm wrestle….

Naked – in jelly?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Equality in sports’ is closed to new replies.