Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Epson Short Throw Office Projector for AV?
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hey STW.

I have the option of buying an Epson EB-430 for €250 to use as a home movie projector. I don’t have any media higher resolution than DVD, so the 1024×768 Res seems sufficient.

The short throw seems handy, but will I regret it if I’m used to a decent picture quality? I’ll be driving it with my big PC and I have a good sound system. I can’t justify spending much more, so are there better choices for the same budget?

maccruiskeen

Downsides might be that the focal length is fixed – so the adjust the picture size you have to move the machine around the room, you might stuggle to get an image you like without a lot of furniture moving

It has a 4×3 ratio too – not that big a deal in the sense that it’ll be letterboxed but LCD projectors don’t really have a true black – light shines through the black portions of an image so the contrast isn’t as good as other technology,s but also those black bar above and below the image will be illuminated and that draws your eye to the fact that the black in the image aren’t black.

Might be worth comparing it with other models for noise too, all projectors are noisy but some are less noisy than others. It doesn’t matter how loud you turn the film up – you can’t turn up the silence so the whiring fan appears in all the quiet moments.

are there better choices for the same budget?

Something second hand. If you’re in no hurry save a search and pick something up on ebay. I’ve got a cupboard full of DLP projectors I bought for £50 each. You might find it a cheaper way of discovering that projecting a film is just a faffy and distracting way to watch it and doesnt really add anything to the enjoyment 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hey thanks for that.

The projector is secondhand, looks in very good condition. I’m fairly familiar with quality home projection, but I have no way of comparing to an Epson office jobbie.

Fixed zoom is annoying, but I figure that putting it on the roof closer to a screen would be less intrusive than having to install it in the middle of the ceiling.

Where are you getting DLP’s from at 50 quid a pop, what models are they, and can I have one?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Epson Short Throw Office Projector for AV?’ is closed to new replies.