Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Epoxy onto porcelain tiles ok?
  • petrieboy

i need to fix the remote for my shower into the shower cubicle. Drilling the fixings for the shower screen was a job I don’t want to repeat as the porcelain tiles were very hard. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t just epoxy (or silicon or something else) the backing plate to the tiles? I know that’s probably a daft question but I’veade it all the way through this project without any massive fcukups and I don’t want to stumble at the last task!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Nope – I’d use a Polysulphide though.
    Like silicon but WAAAAAAYYYY stickier and not liable to come away with the 12 billion products that women use that will eat everything in sight

midlifecrashes

I’d give Command Strip things a go, you get them with hooks, but I think you can buy them separate too. They have a separate bathroom range for use in the shower and around.

jonba
    Free Member

I don’t think epoxy would work, I’m not sure polysulfide would either not because of the chemistry but because of the nature of the tiles. When we want things to not stick, glass is only shortly behind Teflon as our substrate of choice at work.

Personally I’d go with a silicon. Some benefits to the chemistry but also when it does eventually fall off it will be easier to clean up and restick.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Jonba – we use polysulphide on external glazing projects and at high level where mastic/silicon degrades at a rate far too quickly to be classed as a stable solution.
    Polysulphide doesn’t shrink unlike silicon when denatured or exposed to environmentals such as hard water, alkalines, etc.

teasel
    Free Member

Sugru

teasel
    Free Member

Here…

https://sugru.com/blog/8-experiment-with-the-layout-of-your-bathroom-without-any-drilling

Can’t comment on its effectiveness as I’ve literally just received my first order and haven’t used it yet.

petrieboy

Blimey I’m glad I asked! So to be clear, I’m fixing this to the porcelain tile (rather than the glass) which has a smooth matte finish.
    The command strip things look good but the website only says suitable for damp and humid conditions. I think my shower cubicle can be described as wet so not sure that’ll work.

Sugru looks like a good shout and it was their wee videos that keep coming up on Facebook that made me think about sticking rather than drilling. It is silicon based tho so might have the same vulnerabilities stated above?

With the polysulphide, can anyone recommend a profuct? Googling took me down a rabbit warren of polymers, modified polymers and modified silane products. Something I can pick up from screwfix or tool station would be ideal!

marcus7
    Free Member

I’d try double sided foam strip ( no nails do one) and see how it goes I’ve used it in wet conditions and it seems fine, just give it a test “pull” to make sure it remain secure, its not under any significant load so I’d guess it would be fine, if not you’ll have spent a fiver on stuff you can use around the house anyway!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Epoxy onto porcelain tiles ok?’ is closed to new replies.