Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Epiphany – Where can I shed some weight?
  • Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Just taken delivery of this, it’s a tad heavier than I thought it would be, a lot of builds I have seen are around 24-26 lbs, mine seems to tip the scales at circa 29, any ideas where the weight could be? Ideally I would like to shave around 3lbs off, circa 25-26 would be ideal. My main thoughts were obv the wheels, brakes and rotors. Either that or are the older xtr cranks heavy compared to the new ones?

Ellsworth Epiphany size M black ano frame.

Latest spec ally rocker

Fox RP23 rear shock

Fox 2007 Talas 100-140 RLC Forks

Shimano XTR front mech

Sram X9 rear mech

Sram x9 shifters with avid matchmaker clamps

Mavic Cross Max ST tubeless wheels with skewers

SRAM PC991 chain (new)

SRAM PC990 cassette

XTR chainset (new middle burn hard coat middle ring)

Race Face oversize Carbon bars

Tioga Spyder Saddle

Thomson layback seat post

Thomson 70 mm oversize stem

Avid Juicy 7 brakes 180mm discs

ODI lock-on grips

Chris King headset

chakaping
    Free Member

Nothing seems overly heavy there.

Maybe other people are underestimating the weight of theirs?

Are your scales accurate? Does it feel liek a 29lb nike to pick up?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Are your scales accurate?! I had a medium Moment with solid kit, XT, Pike 454's, crossmax and a Ti coil DHX – all in it was about 30lbs.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

my scales are not accurate at all, however it does feel heavy, more than

Intense 5.5 with 36's
    Ransom with 55's

That said I do have spine damage with weak muscles at the moment so it may just be me 🙂

Any views on Juicy ultimates vs Hope techs? I am thinking of changing the brakes regardless

scu98rkr
    Free Member

could change to 160mm discs to lose some weight but seems pretty well specced to me

ddmonkey

Heavy tyres?

woody2000

Foam grips, seatpost and stem possibly not the lightest, smaller discs, bolt up seat clamp/skewers, ti-bolts, lose the granny

How weeny do you want to be? 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Thomson stem and seatpost – look nice but are heavy, try a USE Sumo and maybe a EA90 stem , neither of these would look out of place on that build and a a fair bit lighter.

Lock on grips, convenient but heavy swap to Bonty XX Lite foam or poshbikes nitrile and save around 90g.

Tyres, what are they?

anc
    Free Member

Is it full of water!!
    No way will it be 29lbs with that spec, I have a similar spec and its 26.6lbs, most epi's come in 26-27lbs

24.5 lbs one here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=159517&highlight=epiphany

Your kit won't make 4.5lbs difference

P.s is that Nicks old bike?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

how comfy is that saddle? never actually seen anyone using one….

njee20
    Free Member

Looks pretty good to me. You could change the brakes. Aren't Elixir Mag CRs going cheap from Merlin at the moment?

Grips as well, save 100g with some foam ones.

Otherwise I wouldn't want to make too many parts on that lighter.

LAT

Once more for changing the grips, seat clamp, stem and post. I find the Ritchey WCS foam grips comfy. Ibis make a very light seat clamp, not sure if it would fit your frame, though.

You may be able to save some weight with tubless-ready tyres, rather than UST or LUST. Are you using a sealant in the tyres? If so, could you use less?

Gripshift will save some weight, too.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

The tyres are high roller lust UST tubeless, as I said it may be my weak body picking it up, im not a weight freak but it felt just too heavy last night, I think I will try some new brakes with smaller rotors and go from there

chakaping
    Free Member

High Roller LUSTs are a sensible weight, not heavy and not superlight.

Can't see how you'd save much swapping from Juicy 7s, but I'd swap them anyway if it was my bike because I never liked them.

Formula brakes are really light. I was amazed how little my new RXs weigh.

I reckon somebody's probably filled your seattube with sand though.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

sands good, I can build a beach in the garden. Can anyone explain what UST and LUST are? never used tubeless before

anc
    Free Member

L.U.S.T. TECHNOLOGY
    LIGHTWEIGHT ULTIMATE SIDEWALL TECHNOLOGY

Maxxis Mountain Tubeless tires, certified to UST® standards, now feature Lightweight Ultimate Sidewall Technology (L.U.S.T.). L.U.S.T. offers better puncture resistance, improved air retention, better longevity and lower weight than previous tubeless technologies. Our engineers were not content with simply having one of the best tubeless tires on the market. Instead, they went back to the drawing board, reinvented the tubeless tire from the casing and tread and addressed your concerns about tubeless technology. By adding a thin fabric layer to the sidewall, covered in a special air-tight rubber compound, Maxxis created a casing that lighter, tougher and holds air better. Now, it’s available to you on all of our Cross Country and Freeride Tubeless tires.

15% lighter than our previous tubeless tires
    Better air retention than competitors’ tires
    Increased sidewall puncture resistance

Marketing bs me thinks 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

LUST is a thinner version of UST.

UST is the international standard for tubeless tyres, probably developed by Mavic, not sure.

Tyres are thicker and have longer sticky feathered beads to help them seal tubeless.

The LUST HR is a good compromise tyre unless you're smashing into pointy rocks a lot.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

felt just too heavy last night, I think I will try some new brakes with smaller rotors and go from there

By most people standards on here (aracer and njee excluded) my bike is pretty light and yet sometimes I lift it up and it feels heavier than it did before, have another heft tonight.

coogan
    Free Member

29lbs seems fine to me. Myb old 5 Spot started off that weight and never felt heavy.

br
    Free Member

2* Ashima rotors 185mm saves 100g
    2* Juicy Ti bolt kit (including cup/cone) + carbon levers/caps saves 80g
    XTR cassette saves 50g
    Lighter stem (EA90?) saves 25g
    I-beam post and seat saves 50g, or I-Fly another 25g
    Ti skewers saves another 25-50g
    Change every bolt to Ti, save 1g per bolt minimum – another 50g

All in about 400g or a pound in old money.

I've the same XTR chainset as you and its weighs 711g;
    crankset+LH = 532g
    LH bolts = 11g
    pre-tensioner = 5g
    3 Middleburn rings = 145g
    chainring bolts = 21g

Also what do your tyres actually weigh – look at Nobby Nic 2.1's at 500g each
    And how much sealant are you putting in, really only need 50ml (50g).

And before you buy/change anything, get some digital scales.

LAT

From the pic it looks like you have a pair of LUST High Rollers. With your wheels and tyres you can go tubeless. That will do away with the weight of the 2 inner tubes. If you don't need the extra puncture protection, you don't need to use sealant either.

It won't be a massive saving, but you will have the benefits of tubless wheels – extra traction, reduced rolling resistance to name a couple.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

LAT – they are tubeless apparantly with stans sealant

njee20
    Free Member

2* Juicy Ti bolt kit (including cup/cone) + carbon levers/caps saves 80g

The majority of that saving will likely be in the levers, even then 80g is a seems fairly optimistic, I'm not sure about that. I'd just replace the brakes, as even Juicy Carbons were heavy brakes.

Anyway, it's alu bolts in the levers, much cheaper than ti and half the weight. Alu in the mechs and shifters too.

I-beam post and seat saves 50g, or I-Fly another 25g

Saves even more when it snaps! If you don't put the saddle up/down, get a light carbon post, Ritchey WCS or something.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Thanks all I will start with the brakes and probably go for either mini pros, tech x2 or avid ultimates, and see if there is too much sealant in the tyres, I think the spyder saddle feels just right on the thomson so will leave them, tbh the wheels did feel heavy considering they are tubeless, perhaps that is where the weight lies.

flamejob
    Free Member

Out of interest what do you weigh CrAsH…tEsT..RiDeR ?

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

about 12.5 stone without kit on

thomthumb
    Free Member

how much does the gas fire weigh?

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

a ton, its electric 🙂

Hadge
    Free Member

Your scales are way out as that's never near 29lb! I'd say more like 27 maybe a bit less.

tazzymtb

forks and wheels are your main heavy bits. My Epi varies from just under to just over 25lb with 2.25 nics on depending on the tyres.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Crash test look at the tyre carefully i think the weight is written on the side 690g i think! Sealant well a good slosh never measured! Enjoy the bike it doesnt feel heavy on trails I promise.

MrOvershoot

Rather than spend shed loads of cash to loose very little weight, why not actually find some accurate scales and weigh it?
    Might just be an illusion of weight!
    Failing that take the seatpost out and shine a torch down the seat tube in case there is a hidden stash of gold down there 😉

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Just bought a High Roller Lust and it weighed 894 grams.But then they work and i don't get punctures with UST.I would say change to Hopes(don't like Avids!) and just go ride.Not a bad weight.My 2004 Spot weighs just over 29 lbs and it doesn't bother me!
    Thanx Max

I_Ache
    Free Member

Is this a STW first people actually saying that the ops bike is lighter than he states?

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Sometimes your mind just plays tricks on you with weights… I used to have a 19lb hardtail, and i swear it always seemed lighter than my 16lb road bike… The bike looks great though! Changing the brakes is a good move to save weight, and i would ditch the x9 too (but not for weight reasons).

ahwiles
    Free Member

sshhh! – Crash, i'll let you into a secret;

everyone's bike weighs about 29/31 lbs, maybe more, they just lie about it.

"oh yeah, i reckon with the ti axles in the pedals, i've gorrit darn to 24 pounds, s'lighter than my road bike"

etc.

tazzymtb

LOL and most STW forum users are actually 5 stone heavier as well. (actually that's not too unbelievable as most of you have more chins than the Hong Hong telephone directory)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

sshhh! – Crash, i'll let you into a secret;

"oh yeah, i reckon with the ti axles in the pedals, i've gorrit darn to 24 pounds, s'lighter than my road bike"

etc.

Take it you've never lifted an XC race bike then?

tazzymtb

kingtut- don't upset the pie eating big bike mafia!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Righto.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Epiphany – Where can I shed some weight?’ is closed to new replies.