Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Epic/Once in a lifetime events
  • alansd1980

The wife came in last night after speaking with some friends and said they are thinking about saving up and going away to New York or somewhere like that for there 40th birthday in a few years time.

Got me thinking… what could I do. Its a few years away so gives me time to save up for event, flights, equipment (new bike… shhh dont tell the mrs) etc

Looking around and I really fancy an epic multi day event/race. Looked around and see the BC bike race, trans rockies, cape epic and the breck epic. Does anyone have any experience of any events like this or could make a suggestion of other events I might have missed.

Have ignored the European events as hopefully as the kids get older trips to the alps will be more managable.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Always fancied hawaii

crapjumper
    Free Member

I’ve fancied the bc bike race for the last 5 years or so but the missus thinks paying the mortgage and bills is more important ! 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alansd1980

This is why I want to get it in miles in advance.
    I am in my mid thirties now but if I can start saving a little now it might be a reality instead of deciding one day I want to do it and need to find several grand in a few months which is not going to happen.

Playing the looooong game!

jota180
    Free Member

Last night my missus went to pick up the Indian take-away

That – for sure – is a once in a lifetime event.

shortcut

I’m signed up for BCBR next year.

Experience so far – don’t expect to get the early bird discount – Gone in 60 seconds!

Really looking forward to it.

AlasdairMc

I’m thinking of the Tour Divide for my 40th (still got a few years to go). The problem with a big race though is that you think it’ll be the one thing you do, whereas in my experience doing one big race just makes you want to do another and another and so on. This is in part why I’m ‘saving’ the TD for a few years as a special event.

The one thing about having a target a few years ahead is that the journey to get there will be a hell of a lot of fun. I’d personally recommend the Highland Trail Race as an interim step as it’s brutal but absolutely amazing at the same time.

alansd1980

Would love to try the tour divide. The issue is time, a week or so away is possible but the tour divide is a month or so isn’t it?

HTR is something thats on my radar as well but with a 2 year old and a second on the way these things are on the backburner at the moment!

AlasdairMc

Yeah, Tour Divide seems to be averaging around 26 days plus the connections required at either end to airports etc.

I’d recommend the HTR – it’s bloody tough and it’s without a doubt the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but I only look back on it with fondness. I’ve spoken to a few people who have both started the HTR and finished the TD, and they reckon the HTR is harder, but I still want to do the TD as it looks amazing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Epic/Once in a lifetime events’ is closed to new replies.