Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • epic UK mtb rides with a novice in tow
  • yunki
    Free Member

We’ve booked off a long weekend in May and want to get away somewhere mountainous..

My other half is a capable novice (trail centre greens and some blues,the easier stuff on Dartmoor) but lacks confidence so we’re looking for somewhere that we can both get out in the hills for some epic scenery without too much (any) technical riding..

Ideally there would be a day where I can go out alone, so somewhere where she could visit a local place of interest or mooch about looking in bookshops and drinking coffee for a day without getting bored..

I’m thinking Wales or Lakes

Any suggestions?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

High Street in the lakes?

richardkennerley

Loadpot hill or Black Combe. Great views and not too technical.

jonba
    Free Member

If you were in the east lakes you could head east to the pennines and Cheviots. Plenty of gravel roads and easy stuff to get you remote and high. You could look at the various c2c options running rhrough there and the lakes to see if you can make a loop of it.

I had a thread about big lakes rides a while back. Maybe something in there. You could plan routes with road escape or alternates.

singlespeedstu

Elan Valley in Mid Wales.
    Rhayader is a great little place to stop. Loads of riding from a pootle round the resers to some great techy steep stuff.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Low level tilberthwaite/langdales.

Ennerdale forest roads out to blacksail hut/bit of blengdale forest by the river. Needs a bit of road to join it up but get lunch stop in at ennerdale bridge.

Low level eskdale/muncaster* pinic in the Japanese garden at giggle allry ftw. Even get the ratty out to boot and back along the valley bottom.

qwerty
    Free Member

Gap Ride?

RustySpanner

If you email me the dates, might be able to sort you out some accommodation near Snowdon.

Loads of easy rides from the door.

yunki
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions..
    Élan Valley looks interesting, wouldn’t have thought of that..
    Thanks for the offer Rusty..

We may have to look at a little tour 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you go to the lakes I can give you rides that can be done on a CX bikes [ or with kids] that range from pretty flat to hilly and in length from 10- 40 miles.

HIgh street is weather dependent and a slog up but basically flat ish moorland with stunning views. You will either love it for the views or think its not worth the effort, I am the later many are the former.

I would stay south lakes if I went personally as it has more civilisation for a day out- again can help with links.

If you do come I would be delighted to have a ride out with you if you are interested.

djflexure

I’ve done the following with my Mrs.
    Circuit of Windermere (Verebrate Graphics book I think), Loughrigg, Langdales/ Hodge Close/ Tilberthwaite, Pooley Bridge around High Street (but not over as looked like a slogfest), over to Askham and back via BW to Howtown (which is great for a novice – long and easy dh).
    Elan Valley
    Cheviots from Wooler and from Alwinton
    Lots of happy memories.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘epic UK mtb rides with a novice in tow’ is closed to new replies.