Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Epic roadie climbs near Bergamo/Garda ?
  • weeksy

We’ve now booked our ‘relaxing’ part of the holiday for Aug, which entails a week around Bergamo/Garda at Lake Iseo.

I’ve always had the dream of doing a special road climb a la TDF, but don’t know the area very well at all. I’ll need a hire bike too.

Ideas sought.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Plenty of smaller climbs to choose from, but looks a bit lacking in ‘epics’ over there.
    Check out the map @ Climbbybike

This one looks decent:

Edit: Will you have access to some transport? If so you are certainly within range of some of the famous epic climbs

bikebouy
    Free Member

Do the Madonna de Ghisallo, its the iconic climb of the Tour of Lombardia.

If you search Strava or just the net you’ll find routes all over that area. I’ve done this area loads, I have to say it’s quite epic. Up over the top, pay homage then just as you think it’s down hill all the way back to Como, take a right turn and head back up right to the top where there is an epic cafe, with a view all the way to Milan. You can choose two climbs to it, the one in last years Giro (the steepest, can’t remember its name but it’s gated off because it’s so steep and stops cars driving up it) or the slightly less torturous route.

Cycling weekly Madonna del Ghisallo

beej

And once you’ve done the Ghisallo, do the Muro di Sormano as a bit of a challenge to see if you can complete it without walking. Only about 1.5km.

weeksy

Yup, i’ll have my own car with me. Just not my bikes.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yup, i’ll have my own car with me. Just not my bikes.

Well in that case ~1hr drive north gives you access to a couple of monsters 😀

Or if feeling particularly brave

Or for a bit more of a drive you can take on the big daddy

weeksy

Awesome, thank you 🙂

Stelvio a bit crazy with cars etc though ?

fifeandy
    Free Member

From my experience in the mountains in Italy its not the cars you need to worry about, its the crazy Germans on giant touring motorbikes.

For any of the major climbs i’d pick a weekday rather than a weekend for this reason.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Gavia and Mortirolo make a natural loop- we did it from Bormio.

Sormano is insanely steep and is now almost an art installation, with quotes and the altitude increases professionally painted on road – Google image it.

Spent 2 weeks riding Italian Dolomites and Alps and the only negative was the incessant close buzzing of loud piped Rossi wannabes (and I’m a lifelong biker with an R1 in the garage). We managed to ride Stelvio on Bike Day which was a free closed-road Sportif, but it’s in early September.

This guy’s site is an excellent resource.

Cycle the Alps Traffic-Free: Here’s How (2015 Edition)

And if you don’t already own a copy of Daniel Friebe’s Mountain High and Mountain Higher you should!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Epic roadie climbs near Bergamo/Garda ?’ is closed to new replies.