• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ste_t.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Epic rides within 2 1/12 hours of Brum
  • spudly1979
    Free Member

hi guys, we’re organising a group ride for a mate’s birthday in March. not planning on stopping over, so 2 – 2 1/2 hours driving distance is the max we’re looking at.

Any suggestions? We’ve done the localish trail centres – cannock, degla, CYB, lee/cragg quarry, altura trail, and a done malvern and long mynd.

so what’s epic? A lot of people on here seem to recommend the peaks?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Nant yr Arian is worth a visit.. Not quite epic but lovely place and really fun place to ride.
    You could also squeeze in a few laps of Climach X.

barffy
    Free Member

This was yesterday at the Top of the Wrekin in Telford.

LeeW

Snowden?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Berwyns.

MartynS

if you’ve never done the peak its worth the trip..

i’m sure collectively a great route could be put together!

bigrich

Elan Valley.

Brecon beacons

peak district.

trail centers are not, nor will they ever be ‘epic’. you just ride longer.

jate
    Free Member

+1 for Berwyns. Love Nant Yr Arian but it’s quite a bit further from Bham. Plus my guess is you won’t see anyone else riding the Berwyns. The trails aren’t technical but the routes are definitely long and remote.

st

Peaks or you could just get to the South Lakes on a good run but Peaks would be bettered for distance to travel.

Long Mynd is a comfortable run up the M6 / M54 too.

tlr

There is a 100km and a 70km loop in the Vertabrate Publishing Dark Peak guidebook.

The 70km is fine, doable in an afternoon (depending on fitness). The 100km does go on a bit!

Pook

Peak District is just up the road really. Snowdon is a good call though

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The lakes if you use the toll road

Peaslake

Drillski
    Free Member

Peaks, routes of all lengths to suit and no massive journey.

carlos
    Free Member

Conwy Mountains?

It’s one of my Favourite routes atm, not overly techy, grassy moorland, ST through the heather/Bracon, good climbs (4500ft over the 40km route), a few tasty and quick descents, a little hike a bike if you fancy it, awesome views from The Drum and Conwy Mountains of Anglesey and Puffin Island, Conwy Castle, the Harbour, Llandudno, The Great Orme. and prob just about within your 2.5hr travel time.

Yeah I love The Peak, but on Saturday I bet we only saw a dozen people all day, no other Mtb’ers and a couple of para sailers.

ste_t
    Free Member

I’m with Carlos on this one.

Birmingham to Llandudno easily 2 hours, though I go up through Nantwich to Chester rather than m6 all the way up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Epic rides within 2 1/12 hours of Brum’ is closed to new replies.