Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Epic kit advice
  • flyingmm

I keep learning the hard way and then figuring out what I should have carried with me on >6 hr rides. Doh!

In addition to food + drink, puncture repair kit / spare tubes and a mini tool (alien 2) I take spare pads, cable ties, long nosed pliers, – what essential or slightly quirky kit to you take that might save the long walk back? Cheers

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Quick links

cynic-al
    Free Member

tire boot

scratch
    Free Member

Yeah toothpaste tube for a tyre boot. Maybe a chain splitter if there’s not one on the tool

Northwind

Spare pads shouldn’t normally be neccesary, unless you ride somewhere gritty… That’s something better taken care of before the ride. Good preperation is more effective than carrying tons of kit.

Quicklinks, definately. Money- might be obvious but after accidentally going out for a ride with no cash, I stuck a £20 note in with my little bag of tools and spares. Mech hanger as appropriate. And I have a single spare M5 and M6 bolt, in case of falling out.

Garry_Lager

Some sort of warm garment in case of mechanical disaster in bad weather. Something that doesn’t take up loads of space.

bruneep

spare legs/lungs

flyingmm

Quick links, do actually have them
    Alien tool has handy chain spitter and wee wire to hold the ends together
    Never thought of a tyre boot. @ scratch colgate or aquafresh?
    Cheers northwind, sage advice re money. Will add a mech hanger to the list and a couple of bolts for good measure
    @ g_l, good thinking.
    @ bruneep, is that an offer?

Keep them coming!

marti
    Free Member

Some gaffer tape wrapped around your pump. And a couple of zip ties. Good for bodging stuff back together.

TexWade
    Free Member

Some oil – I use one of those little fishes you get with sushi – good for one chain application and weighs nothing.

phinbob

Spare cleat bolt. I’ve never needed one but have handed them out twice.

Mind you mine always seem to end up welded into the shoe…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Always have a set of pads in, just easier really.

Spare links and tool for chain

Fizzy Snakes

br
    Free Member

First aid kit (used again on Sunday)
    Space blanket – never used one in 30 years of walking/climbing, but…
    Latex gloves
    Gel
    One gear cable
    2 co2 cannisters – run tubeless
    Tyre boot (3″x3″ piece cut from an old tyre)

IA

Mech hanger!

Gel or some fast energy stashed somewhere, for when it all goes tits and you need that pick me up to get home.

belugabob
    Free Member

@b r
    Latex gloves & gel?

You’re not from round here, are you, boy? 😉

bullroar
    Free Member

Map & Compass

scruff
    Free Member

Brake pad springs & spare bolt / split pin for when you drop one in the grass.

Small knife.

Nurofen.

footflaps

My tool kit has:

Pump
    Lights (headtorch & rear light)
    2 Inner tubes
    Emergency Poncho
    Alien multi-tool
    Leatherman
    Spare brake pads
    Tyre boots
    Gear cable
    Random set of bolts inc SPD, chainring bolts, etc
    DUCT tape wrapped round pencil
    Puncture repair stuff
    Cable ties
    Mini shock pump

Then my Camelbak always has a First Aid Kit, Space blanket, whistle and compass in it + iPhone booster battery

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d really suggest a couple of good mates! Most valuable thing you can pack. Failing that a bike mechanic and an A&E Doctor

labsey
    Free Member

+1 for gloves. Better than getting covered in dirt/chain gunk when doing repairs.

flyingmm

Love the gaffer/ duct tape idea + oil in sushi fish 😀
    Spare bolts..yup should have been on the list

Not sure about the gloves, as a wee bit of dirt/ muck is usually the sign of a good ride 😕

+1 for medical kit – and I’ve not considered a survival blanket previously but will now – AMK heatsheets bivvies seem to get good reviews – will perhaps add emergency distress/ howler whistle to the list too

Map/ compass a great idea and easy to forget when you tend to rely on smartphone gps

Out of interest – can you/ does anyone convert their schrader shock pump valve to presta to negate the need for 2 pumps?

martymac

i have used hockey tape as a tyre boot on a road tyre, which obviously runs at much higher pressures, its good because it doesnt stretch.
    not sure if it would work so well on a much larger mtb tyre though.
    as well as having various tools, knowing how to use them would be good.
    boy scout innit, be prepared.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Out of interest – can you/ does anyone convert their schrader shock pump valve to presta to negate the need for 2 pumps?

Simple, take schrader tubes

Northwind

Inflating tubes with a shock pump takes a while. Do you really consider a shock pump to be an essential? Most of the time, if your shock/fork loses air, it’s knackered.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Latex gloves, gel and Fizzy Snakes?

Cant help but thinking there’s a correlation…

theblackmount
    Free Member

Shock Pumps now. FFS – how far do some of you boys actually ever get from civilization – 4 miles max would be my guess…

poly
    Free Member

Shock Pumps now. FFS – how far do some of you boys actually ever get from civilization – 4 miles max would be my guess…

I recon my form of epic riding goes about as far from civilisation / roads as anyone is likely to be in the UK. I have never taken a shock pump with me. On a multi day trip, where we were remote from cars / lbs each night I think ONE of the group carried a shock pump. None of us used it. I don’t recall anyone ever wanting to tweak shocks mid ride on an “epic”.

I’ve only ever changed break pads ‘in the field’ once and that was laziness for not replacing part worn pads before we left.

The only mechanical failure that ever left me “stuck” (fortunately reasonably local) was a sheared crank bolt. Everything else has been bodgeable with the kit people describe above, although a broken rear mech (not the hanger) effectively ended the ride for me with a single speed back to the car.

Ben_mw

Duck tape wrapped around pump.
    Credit/Debit card – Had to replace a seatpost mid ride once! (Luck would have it that I was only a 20-25 minute ride from a shop).
    Salmon pin boning pliers – small and light.

footflaps
    footflaps

The only failure I’ve not been able to fix was a sheared freewheel, which happened in the middle of a three week trip in the USA. Luckily a local rider leant me a spare wheel which I posted back to him at the end of the holiday (as we were in another state by then).

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Salmon pin boning pliers<

I never go anywhere without these either. Then there’s the fly rod, reel and portable fish smoker…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As far as I want. It’s light and even more use for very long routes where you might want to firm everything up for half the ride.

It is possible to travel a long way with a sensible pack. By the time you add 3l of water and some food everything else is small change. Also after it pisses it down it doesn’t really matter.

kayak23

Some oil – I use one of those little fishes you get with sushi – good for one chain application and weighs nothing.

You do know thats soy sauce in those, not oil right? 😉

Speshpaul

Only one call for a rear mech?

Gloves, i know what you mean about a bit of dirt, but 3 words
    puncture, dog, sh*t.

Spare pads, clips ,springs bolts to fit them, never mind wearing them out, i’ve seen the braking material come off the the backing, pads just leave the bike, as if by magic.

tyre boot plastic milk bottle carton, cut a rectangle out if fact cut two, you can enjoy the smiles from random strangers when you give them away then.
    I also cut one up once to make spacers to re mount a mates front brake after the bolts came lose. worked well.

footflaps

My Camelbak normally weighs about 8kg. I pretty much always have an SLR + lens selection, 3l water, tools, food, rain jacket etc. It’s been all over the world with me on various mountain biking trips.

flyingmm

Thanks for all the great tips guys. If I substitute the fishing tackle for the shock pump and take one sushi fish full of soy I may indulge in some sashimi to refuel on the epic. theblackmount – fancy sharing any fishing tips?

hugor
    Free Member

After your warm sashimi you may very well need some bog roll. It’s light, small ( you don’t need the whole roll).
    It won’t save your life but may save your arse.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Sure.

I’ve always found a Handline and mackeral feathers a very versatile piece of kit.

😉

theblackmount
    Free Member

@ Hugor

Clearly you’re not familiar with the 1 x Rizzla paper technique!

flyingmm

Back to theblackmount’s favourite topic: anyone tried one of these topeak shock n roll pumps and care to give any feedback. V little available online at the mo: http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/09/28/interbike-want-topeak-shock-and-roll-pump/ Cheers

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Epic kit advice’ is closed to new replies.