• This topic has 38 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Epic Designs bags and gas tanks – Is there a UK equivalent ??
  • Rik
    Free Member

Gas Tank link

Would really like one of the gas tank bags for the top tube to store food and a small camera (large size in the photos) while touring.

Does any body know if there is a UK equivalent?

Or if a simalar product exists already to buy through a shop.

Like the look of the frame bags as well, going to see if I can make one of those…….

u02sgb
    Free Member

Be interested if anyone has. I was considering just ordering from Epic.

Anyway, topic bumped back up so hopefully someone's got an idea.

Stu.

Nick

This is the closest to a tank bag I've managed to find, can't find frame bags but like you I'm going to make one.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Topeak-Topeak-Tri-Bag-All-Weather-with-Rain-Cover-15999.htm

Rik
    Free Member

There is an excellent article on the bikepacking web site about making your own frame bag.

Suppose the gas tank could be made in the same way. Its the seat packs that look a more complex design.

Dont mind the epic designs prices as its niche and custom its the postage that makes it too pricey for me. I'll see how make your own goes.

Now fabric and design…….

shaggy

A few people do Tri bags for gels etc. Alpkit made me a frame bag but they don't usually do that. The Epic stuff is lovely, and Eric is great- go for it! I've just ordered some more stuff!

Rik
    Free Member

There is an excellent article on the bikepacking web site about making your own frame bag.

Suppose the gas tank could be made in the same way. Its the seat packs that look a more complex design.

Dont mind the epic designs prices as its niche and custom its the postage that makes it too pricey for me. I'll see how make your own goes.

Now fabric and design…….

Rik
    Free Member

That bag looks good Nick same with the price, but think i'd like something longer as i think my camera alone would fill that.

It would be good for endurance races though…

Rik
    Free Member

Oops…….double post

Thanks Shaggy

Nick

yeah of 12 quid you can hardly go wrong

for more make it yourself ideas….

http://www.backpacking-lite.co.uk/

and for fabric, buckles, webbing etc

http://www.profabrics.co.uk/

Rik
    Free Member

This place is very good for cheap fabric:

Fabric n Stuff

Rik
    Free Member

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fgp1tdCdL.jpg

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=5471

Just found these, I think turned upside down with a modified additional top zip added like the epic ones and it will be perfect. Same size and length as the Epic Medium Gas Tank

Could be a winner – £12.59 + a couple of quid for two zips and a bit of velcro

coastkid
    Free Member

i would recommend erics bags & gastank, around £150-£170 to the UK for both,very robust,waterproof unless submerged and i reckon will last alot longer than anything i could make..do you have an industrial sewing machine to sew a heavy duty YYK zip through cordura?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Very neat coastkid. How do you find the handling against a bare bike? Love the idea of getting all your heavy stuff down near the BB.

Nick

do you have an industrial sewing machine to sew a heavy duty YYK zip through cordura?

nope, but neither do I have 170 quid to blow on a frame bag 🙂

I'm going to have a go at a bar bag similar to the Epic designs ones, if the domestic machine(s) I have cope then I'll move onto a frame bag, I'll probably have to compromise, but I'll also be saving around 130 quid.

Rik good find on the SUBA bag btw, come back with pics when it's been modified!

coastkid
    Free Member

Very neat coastkid. How do you find the handling against a bare bike? Love the idea of getting all your heavy stuff down near the BB.

i have tools in the lower part then stove and food in upper if camping,bottle cage goes on seatpost…handles fine,stil flickable on tight trails..prefer it to a backpack for road/trails but if going riding where having to hike-a-bike up revines/heather hills etc..then use a karrimor daypack with camelback so can shoulder the bike,
    for sewing up a bag DIY maybe those old singer machines would cope better?..built in britain and all that… 🙂

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I've been giving this a bit of thought … so out of interest, if I were to have some 'gas tanks' made in the Uk would anyone be interested in one?

I'd thinking something along the size of a large Epic Designs one. What features would you want? Outside pockets, internal divider, Extra D rings?

Thoughts welcome.

Cheers
    Stuart

thomthumb
    Free Member

gas tanks or frame bags stu?

but probably yes.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Gas tanks, I'm thinking they could be a pretty universal fitting but frame bags would have to custom really.

Stuart

igm

Is there enough interest to do a group buy from the states?

Nick

Would be interesting in knowing the cost, more interesting a medium than large though (so maybe a group buy from epic might be a better bet).

If I was to spec one I reckon it would need some decent padding, a large main compartment with a re/moveable divider and a mesh, ideally elasticated pocket, for money or small items.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Right then, I'll make some calls on Monday. Once I've got an idea of costs and whats possible, etc I'll post it up here.

Cheers
    Stuart

flatfish
    Free Member

Stu,
    mine should be here for when I'm round your neck of the woods in a few weeks time, you can have a look at mine and deceide which size you want. At least I hope it will be here by then.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Aye bring it with you if you've got it Taylor.

Cheers
    Stuart

Rik
    Free Member

I'd be interested in getting some info on one of those Stu.

Still think i'll give the make your own a go as well……

tiago
    Free Member

There is also the JANDD Frame Bag, that I bought from this swedish outfit as I couldn't find them in the UK:
    http://www.cyclecomponents.com/1/sv/artiklar/jandd-frame-pack-svart.html
    It costed me 42 EUR with shipping.

It is smaller that a full sized frame bag but much cheaper also. But I don't know of any good alternatives to the Carroussel Designs or Eric's seat bags.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Been looking at the gas tank bags for a while, so if there is talk of a group bulk buy, i would be interested in ordering, still not sure between small and medium gas tank bag however

u02sgb
    Free Member

I'd possibly be interested in a group buy too. Any idea how much import duty we'd have to pay?

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Also interested in a group buy, but guess I would need a custom made one to fit small on-one?

coastkid
    Free Member

i ended up buying a abus lock bag as in the above link,got it satuarday,its a well made wee bag..like there locks…the toptube straps were a bit long for the skinny steel frame so cut them down and with a lighter melted the ends to prevent fraying…the seat tube strap is perfect around the headset spacers,has an internal fully zelcro sealed pocket for lock keys ideal for a couple of £2 coins for "get you home food",
    just got to watch the low zip hieght now when opening as upside down…with a seatbag with tube and tools,and pump and bottle on the frame its ideal for a couple of cereal bars and camera.. 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Coastkid – why not just stick it in the main triangle where its designed to go?
    I like the gas-tank bags, but they look a tad silly on their own.
    But, if there's a group buy going on, Icould be interested in a frame bag and gas-tank bag.

coastkid
    Free Member

its there for a quick grab of the camera!,i take lots of pics out riding and also that bike goes up the local hills so sometimes does a bit shouldering through the heather…if theres a mass buy from eric im after a seat bag for a sleeping bag..i can email him what i need,pay and he will put it in with the order…

flatfish
    Free Member

i've got another two week wait til he's finished my order. it'll be like it's christmas all over again.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Me … I've got the sewing machine out 😉

flatfish
    Free Member

bless! i'll come and marvel over your abortion stu.
    and i get a new bike by the end of the week to go with the bags.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Dee reckons I get a new bike every week.

I have toyed with the idea of sewing some velcro onto a fluffy pencil case, resulting in a simple, cost effective solution to wanting a gas tank!

singlespeedstu

I have toyed with the idea of sewing some velcro onto a fluffy pencil case, resulting in a simple, cost effective solution to wanting a gas tank!

Get your dog to catch you a rabbit, hollow it out and zip tie that to the frame.

Job done. 😀

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

And I'll get a badger for a frame bag … SSEC here we come!

flatfish
    Free Member

now that really did put a smile on my face 😀

Rik
    Free Member

For those who are interested.

I took the plunge and ordered from Eric at Epic/revelate designs.

After a bit of a mix up (Eric is a great chap to deal with) I got the final bit of my order through. The thought that has gone into his stuff is top notch and the quality is amazing and totally bombproof. I would totally recommend his stuff. Shame I have to wait till Christmas day to properly get my hands on the stuff.

It’s going to be a good year, next year for adventures and bikepacking 😀

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Epic Designs bags and gas tanks – Is there a UK equivalent ??’ is closed to new replies.