Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Envelope printing
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Back in the day, consumer level IT was still pretty ropey and you’d expect things to bugger up, especially things like printing. However, it’s 2015, and everything now works pretty well, which is great.

Except envelope printing.

For starters, in MS word you can’t select C5 envelopes as a paper size, you have to select ‘mailings’ then ‘envelope’ for a helpful little wizard that does nothing useful – I expected a **** little paper clip to pop up.

My printer has been refusing to print anything C5 sized, claiming paper mismatch. It has a nice little LCD screen with plenty of space for paper on it, but all the developers saw fit to put on that nice big screen was ‘paper mismatch’. Well, since I’ve set everythign to C5 envelope size, something is clearly not set up well, so why don’t you tell me exactly how big you think the paper is compared to what you were expecting, and perhaps we can work it out? But no, paper mismatch is all we get.

So finally put in a custom size into Word (after struggling with Libre Office) and it prints. I typed in the C5 envelope size manually, exactly as spec, and the printer accepted it fine. So why the **** was it the wrong size five minutes ago?

I’m having flashbacks to 1997.

geoffj

My life became so much better when I finally completely gave up on envelope printing and bought a dymo label printer.

molgrips
    Free Member

No no no.. it’s not that I need an envelope printing solution.. I already have one, it should **** well work. What in god’s name is stopping it printing on a piece of paper 162mm wide? Nothing, it seems, you just have to ask it the right way. FFS!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nullpointer
    Free Member

I’m not convinced anyone has ever managed to print an envelope at home.

molgrips
    Free Member

Very nearly went out and bought a new printer.

CountZero

I think the issue is that it’s very rare for anyone to pint onto an envelope that’s already made up; I’m pretty sure that printed envelopes are done as a flat sheet then made up by machine afterwards. It does seem odd that the printer can’t accept C5, although usually you’d set up printer parameters on the computer which would be transferred to the printer; but then I’m coming from a graphics/pre-press background, printing from Ps, Illustrator, Quark, etc.
    Honestly, though, I’m years out of touch with that stuff, I don’t really have any answers that might have any real use.

molgrips
    Free Member

although usually you’d set up printer parameters on the computer which would be transferred to the printer;

Yeah you set the page to be C5 sized, you tell the printer it’s got C5 loaded, you put a C5 envelope in, then it whines.

RustyNissanPrairie

How many are you printing?
    Buy yourself a cheap Zebra Z4 label printer from ebay and labels from labelmetrics or similar.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No no no.. it’s not that I need an envelope printing solution.. I already have one,

email?

Probably one of those things that was on the list to be sorted then dropped off as people stopped sending mass mailings themselves.

Still no idea how you get the printer to put the paper in the envelope after the letter is printed then print the outside of the envelope…

antigee

in 100 years time in the museum of yesteryear some poor robot curator will be beavering away until has to self replicate some burnt out chips trying to get the “home office” display for the early 2000’s up and running – i imagine it will have posters like “usb device not recognised” and “go and run a marathon itunes wants to update”

…i’m planning on donating my pile of dead back up drives

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Envelope printing’ is closed to new replies.