Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Enve AM rims on a HT .. "too stiff"? (alternatives)
  • mattjg
    Free Member

My current kit-crush is for a set of wide ‘AM’ style rims for my Yelli Screamy (29er).

Anyone running these on an HT? Is there any mileage in the rumour they’re “too stiff” for a HT?

and while we’re here … any alternatives that avoid the need to send the kid out to work and cut the cat’s rations? (again).

what I’m looking for is light wide (24-25mm internal) 29er rims that can run tubeless and support wide tyres with a nice profile. Yeah I know about Flows, thinking lighter. I actually don’t need super strength, I’m not a hucker.

am a bit dubious about the Chinese options – wheels have to be safe.

ta.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m not a hucker but still managed to wear out a Flow on a 26″ hardtail. What’s on there now?

mattjg
    Free Member

me? currently I have Arch Ex. I want wider without a big weight penalty. On a 29er, rotational mass matters. As it does to middle-aged giffers too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Anyone running these on an HT? Is there any mileage in the rumour they’re “too stiff” for a HT?”

Been reading too many magazines recently ?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

light bicycles 35mm hookless?

aracer
    Free Member

No such thing as too stiff with a rim. When you’ve got a tyre with 60mm of travel on there, you won’t notice the difference between 1mm and 2mm of flex in your rim (made up figures – I suspect it’s not even that much).

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Just use a thinner spoke in every other hole…

sanername

I have had then on my Jones, all my fillings are still in place and they’re pretty marvellous.

mattjg
    Free Member

No such thing as too stiff with a rim. When you’ve got a tyre with 60mm of travel on there, you won’t notice the difference between 1mm and 2mm of flex in your rim (made up figures – I suspect it’s not even that much).

Logically this makes sense to me.

daveh
    Free Member

Just use a thinner spoke in every other hole…

😆

maxtorque

If you don’t fit any tyres, then yes, they might be too stiff. Otherwise, get on it! 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

and they’re pretty marvellous

wish you hadn’t said that

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i recommended chinese carbon and i have Enve,

StefMcDef
    Free Member

If you think you can discern “too stiff” as a quality in a rim, as opposed to a wheel, with spokes, attached to a bike, with stays, and suspension, all encased by a big rubber tyre, I think you’re talking cobblers.

iolo
    Free Member

At 800 pounds each (or however much they are now) if do you buy them I’m sure you’ll convince yourself they’re amazing

plus-one

Thumbs up for chinese carbon from me !!!

swanny853

How about those rock guards rimz rims? They were about 300 quid a pop I think. Widths looked sensible.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

^^ just rebadged light-bicycles no? or some form of chinese carbon.

goodgrief
    Free Member

WTB KOM 23mm internal and 448g
    or the frequency i23 + i25 with a bit more weight

mashiehood
    Free Member

Another here for LB hookless – and I too run Enve’s.

andyrm
    Free Member

Pretty sure Rock Guardz ones are from Carbonal rather than LB.

Northwind

It could easily be emperor’s new clothes but I stuck an LB rim on the back of my hardtail, I think there’s a difference- even with a 2.3 rear tyre. No idea if I’ll still believe that in 6 months.

If you watch slomo video sequences you sometimes see wheels doing a hell of a lot more than you’d expect, this isn’t the best example but skip to 50 seconds on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38yKRyTkRvM

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

HI,
    I have had good results with some earlier Reynolds carbon 29ERS (the all black ones)
    About as wide as a Flow but lighter(my wheelset came in at 1600 grams)
    They seem to have a good amount of ping over the rocks and smaller obstacles,but never to stiff or flexible.
    A few sets going cheaper at the moment as a newer model was released a year or so back.
    Original price was about 1500 but have seen some new ones selling on Ebay for about 800.
    Thanx,
    Max

mattjg
    Free Member

The LB AM internal width is 23mm they say, only 2mm more than my Arch Ex. Not sure it’s worth switching to gain just 2mm.

Enve AM are 24mm, so it’s a moot point perhaps. 1/2 mm each side is nearly a measuring error.

For comparison, Stans say Flows are 25.5mm internal.

br
    Free Member

Yeah I know about Flows, thinking lighter. I actually don’t need super strength, I’m not a hucker.

Crests?

njee20
    Free Member

They’re doing a 35mm (30mm internal) hookless rim now too I believe.

That’s what I’d have. I’ve got the ‘normal’ hookless 29er rims and very impressed.

aracer
    Free Member

The bit where the tyre’s squirming all over the place? I’ll grant that you do get lateral flex at the rim in a built wheel (which there might be in that video, can’t really tell to be honest), but that’s not the same as vertical flex, which is what the OP seemed interested in. I agree there probably is an advantage to stiffer.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ll try again here as no answer on the other thread – I don’t suppose anybody has some of the 35mm hookless and could give an idea how wide tyres come up on them (preferably compared to a Flow if anybody has experience of both)?

Gee76
    Free Member

Will do this week when mine arrive hopefully aracer. Currently running mkii 2.2, purg 2.2 and saguaro 2.2 but still toying with a 2.1 tho maybe I’m expecting a bit to much extra girth.

Northwind

aracer – Member

The bit where the tyre’s squirming all over the place?

No, the bit where he clouts it off a rock and you can see the wheel deflecting inches.

With hardtails, it’s definitely not just about vertical- anything that takes force out of a hit takes strain off the bike/rider. My old Traversee used to walk about all over the place- a lightweight wheel in the first place even before I ruined it 😳 But it all helps.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

I saw some slow-mo enduro footage recently where the front wheel deflected sideways so much I expected it to taco but it just sprung back. It’s possible it’s the same as the link above, but I don’t view video away from my wifi.

On a tangent, it was during a profile of Jared Graves who has been racing XCO at the Australian National Series and Champs as training to try and win the Enduro World Series. I think they said he won the series and he only came 2nd to Dan Macconnell (sp?) in the champs. Phenomenal!

theocb
    Free Member

Have a look at the new American classic wide lightning’s.

mattjg
    Free Member

They’re doing a 35mm (30mm internal) hookless rim now too I believe.

That’s what I’d have. I’ve got the ‘normal’ hookless 29er rims and very impressed.

LB say “There is a new kind of 29er hookless rim (35mm outer width & 25mm depth) with new process. It’s also tubeless-compatible. The weight is 420 /-15g(AM version) and the price is USD180/pcs.”

http://www.light-bicycle.com/all-mountain-29er-carbon-mtb-wheels-clincher-tubeless-wheel-ready.html (reviews)

what does ‘hookless’ mean in this context? (their attachment not included on web).

EDIT: answers own question here: http://www.light-bicycle.com/hook-less-control-carbon-29er-rims-is-ready.html

am a bit dubious about how that retains the tyre safely!

andyrm
    Free Member

I saw some slow-mo enduro footage recently where the front wheel deflected sideways so much I expected it to taco but it just sprung back. It’s possible it’s the same as the link above, but I don’t view video away from my wifi.

Pretty sure you’re thinking of this one – EWS roundup.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HYTxdG73ao[/video]

Northwind

mattjg – Member

am a bit dubious about how that retains the tyre safely!

Specialized are doing hookless too now fwiw, apparently the process more or less went:
    “Why do rims have bead hooks?”
    “Durr, rims have bead hooks!”
    “Yeah but why?”
    “…”

LB seem pretty confident, I got an assurance that there’s no drawbacks before I ordered mine (haven’t got them yet to try)

mattjg
    Free Member

I presumed rims had bead hooks to give the tyre beading something to hook to. Shows what I know.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Yes, bo-ing, about 4.05 in andyrm, although I just saw it in a short sequence during the National Champs coverage.

njee20
    Free Member

First couple of rides on my hookless rims I wasn’t totally trusting of them, but they’ve been absolutely fine. Running 25psi in 2.25″ Rons.

mattjg
    Free Member

@njee ta, tempted, close to my set up.

good fun watching that wheel ping, it almost looks like the rider booted it back in shape.

trickydisco
    Free Member

For some reason they aren’t making a 26″ version of the 35mm rims 🙁

Currently, there is no 35mm wide 26er hookless rim. But we have 33mm wide 26er hookless rim

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Enve AM rims on a HT .. "too stiff"? (alternatives)’ is closed to new replies.