Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Ensuite – how much to build?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Approx, obviously. Will be in our bedroom, through the wall from the existing bathroom, not big, just a loo, sink and single shower.

Anyone done it?.

PS – it won’t be DIY, I’ll be getting a tradesman whom I trust to do it

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ask the tradesman you trust to quote you?… and then another, and then another?

mj27
    Free Member

If you go cheap then £1000 beyond that then there is no limit.

They are expensive places to fit out and you need yours to be created before this. You will need to decide on the following before you can get even a rough estimate.

Shower; Electric/combi fed/tank fed/powered/thermostatic
    Shower tray; size
    Shower screen; sliding/folding/opening
    Extraction; cheap flexi fan system of proper unit with rigid ducting.
    Lighting
    Heated towel rail or some other heating
    Mirror; will steam up, suggest a heated one.
    Charger socket for shaver of toothbrushes
    Tiling; choose how much is tiled, size and type of tiles and the cost of the trims
    Under floor heating if required
    Toilet; back to the wall/wall hung/in vanity unit.
    Sink;single/corner
    Sink taps; massive price and quality difference.

You need to be a good customer to get a good quote, that means knowing what you want and knowing that changing your mind WILL cost you.

richc
    Free Member

£1000 would be very cheap, even if you did it yourself.

£1000 and getting someone to do it, isn’t going to happen IMHO, as you are going to need a stud wall, plasterboard, wiring, door, architrave, pipe work, floor, cut into soil pipes and waste pipes before you even start fitting the bathroom out.

DIY pretty much every bathroom I’ve done has cost be ~3K, but then again I hate doing it so I put in good materials so they last longer.

mj27
    Free Member

£1000 was a “don’t think this will be cheap” starter number. I too have done all the work to my house and know even then an ensuite is not cheap but then that is impacted by the spec I selected.

I never use trades, just teach myself as the cost of quotes is too painful.

Recent rear extension to my house; Quote £29k built by me for £4.5k
    Porch to my house; Quote £12.8k built by me for £2.2

Please don’t take this as a dig at the trades but getting stuck in and learning/doing can save £££££. Think how long it would take to save up?

PS. not a builder/electrician/plumber.

johndoh
    Free Member

I would say £10k for a decent en-suite requiring all new pipework/electrics.

Cost me £6k to fit out an existing en-suite with nice (but not ostentatious) fittings – still tried hard to budget (ie, buying ex-display Villeroy & Boch vanity unit rather than new lesser quality one). The cost did include moving some of the plumbing around and some additional electrical work (new light fittings, underfloor heating, electric duel fuel towel rad)

It was all fitted by a professional but I ripped everything out and made ready for the installation to start.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ask the tradesman you trust to quote you?… and then another, and then another?

I will, when he’s fitting my kitchen next week, just looking for idea’s.

richc
    Free Member

Its a piece of string question as prices vary so much depending on where you are in the country, and how busy people are. 7 to 10K sounds like a reasonable starting point.

I would expect to spend 3K on (high spec) materials, so you can double that figure (+ a bit) if you need to include labour. You could spend less on materials however the cost to fit them remains reasonably constant, unless you buy B&Q stuff and most plumbers I know **** hate fitting it, so try to price themselves out of the job.

chewkw
    Free Member

mj27 – Member
    I never use trades, just teach myself as the cost of quotes is too painful.

Recent rear extension to my house; Quote £29k built by me for £4.5k
    Porch to my house; Quote £12.8k built by me for £2.2

PS. not a builder/electrician/plumber.

Crikey, those look like greedy silly money grow on tree quotes. I bet it would even be cheaper if you attend a short building course.

Please don’t take this as a dig at the trades but getting stuck in and learning/doing can save £££££. Think how long it would take to save up?

Well, it is your hard earn money so why let them fleece you off?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

We had one done last year, paid tradesmen £3500 for the job.

But, we bought the shower, sink and tiles ourselves to get what we wanted and when.

To put the £1000 starting price into context, we spent that on 19 sqm of tiles. Unfitted.

But it is lovely.

chewkw
    Free Member

ScottChegg – Member

We had one done last year, paid tradesmen £3500 for the job.

But, we bought the shower, sink and tiles ourselves to get what we wanted and when.

How long does your tradesmen to complete the job?

footflaps

I would say £10k for a decent en-suite requiring all new pipework/electrics.

Seriously?

That seems 2-3x too high unless you’re using Gold plated fittings.

I built an 8x4m house for less than twice that figure!

johndoh
    Free Member

Yes seriously – as I said, I paid £6k (me supplying all fixings) for our pretty normal ensuite.

£200 shower screen
    £300 super slimline tray
    £200 mixer shower
    £80 shower head
    £100 extractor
    £150 marble vanity counter top
    £100 vanity unit
    £80 basin
    £100 taps
    £100 toilet
    £80 super-slim cavity wall cistern
    £100 light fittings
    £80 heat shrouds for loft
    £700 tiles
    £150 heated/lit/powered mirror
    £120 underfloor heating
    £150 underfloor heating controller

=£2,790 in parts alone (off the top of my head) + electrician, plumber, fitter and their parts.

I allowed another £4k in my guesstimate to cover the cost of making the new room and feeding in electrics & plumbing.

But good on you footflaps, clearly you can buy things much cheaper than I can. Or your house is crap.

IA

Just had a quote for a bathroom about the size of a typical en-suite about 5k. But the room’s already there.

Getting some other quotes of course, for just the work and we supply the bits. But I reckon there’s 1.5-2k of “bits” in there if I do the work, and TBH it’s worth it to me to pay someone I think as I’ve got the rest of the house to do so I need to pick my battles where I can save money and use my time most efficiently (e.g. I took a week’s holiday and did the kitchen myself).

Rubber_Buccaneer

8x4m house

This wasn’t a £20K shed was it?

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Surely it depends on a few factors, size of said house & ensuite and importantly the size of your budget.

We choose some real smart tiles from porcelanosa huge things look like slate with a look as though petrol has been poured over the slate & you get the sheen & colours then glazed, sounds daft but they are superb, one large glass panel & a walk in jobby.

Wife loves it when I come home covered in shite & walk in drop all clarty gear on the floor & get cleaned up

alanl
    Free Member

I’m just about to start mine.
    Bedroom ensuite, next to existing bathroom, so the pipes only have short runs.
    I’m not going bargain basement, but it will be utilitary.

The parts wil be around £1000. If I put my mind to it, I could complete it in 3 days if doing for someone else, as it’s mine, it’ll be 6 months!

Bog- £120
    Shower tray and door – £180 (800 square, other walls tiled)
    Sink and tap – £120
    Shower mixer tap £75
    Tiles around bog/sink/shower – 6 square metres – £100-200.
    Vinyl floor £50
    Assorted plumbing/waste fittings – £75
    Wood frame for stud wall – £30
    Plaster board – £30
    Cement board for lining shower – £40.
    New door and frame – £50.
    Light fitting/fan/electrics – £100

cheers_drive

We had our ensuite refitted a few months ago, it was a refit but it did the services were moved. the soil stack removed to outside, and one stud wall was removed and replaced with a pocket sliding door. Mid range fittings. Fitting also included a water softener and electric underfloor heating.

Fitting 2760
    Sliding door (pocket) 900
    Saneux shower enclosure and shower tray 1026
    Extractor 111
    Shutter 207
    Hansgrohe Showerpipe 590
    Click basin and cupboard 1100
    Toilet 235
    Mirror 190
    700×400 towel radiator 50
    tiles 430
    Tall cabinet 550

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I have a smallish ensure and about 8 years ago got some chaps in to do it up. Half decent quality fittings, so not cheap, but not stupid expensive, and it cost £5k (negotiated down from the original quote). So I’d expect to double that if you are building the room in the first place. You could go cheaper but you’ll regret it.

imnotamused
    Free Member

£5k for a complete decent quality overhaul of a main bathroom.

5k to create a downstairs shower room and utility room from an existing bigger utility room plus creating an understairs cupboard and opening up a new door to the utility.

Not exactly an en suite but I’d say 3k+ is a good guide if you are getting someone to do it

johndoh
    Free Member

Way out at £3k with the work he needs doing. You’re looking at that sort of amount for labour only then you’ve got fixtures, materials, plumbing and electrics on top.

No idea how you’d get someone in and do it for less than £5k on a tight budget.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not disagreeing with anyone, really appreciative of the input folks, but…

I reckon there’s a weeks work in it. 3k for labour? Is it a championship footballer that I’m hiring?! 😆

johndoh
    Free Member

1 week to put a new room in, completely new plumbing, make good other room after work, install new fittings and do second fix?

Give me the guy’s number if he does a good job!

andybanks
    Free Member

Some of the prices above are way over the top. £900 for a shower door and £300 for a tray are excessive – even for top quality gear.

johndoh
    Free Member

Our £300 super slimline tray was to get a ‘wet room’ effect (no step up) – it’s only 26mm deep so fits flush at tile level – and cheaper than a full wet room installation.

And much less risk of leaks too.

So £300 expensive in that scenario? No.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m with andybanks on this one, some of you have way overspent.

footflaps

I refitted our bathroom (suite, shower, tiles, floor) and can’t have spent more than £2k on parts (and that wasn’t scrimping, just chose stuff I liked). As DIY goes, I’d consider it a pretty easy job. I’m amazed people get away with charging that much for stuff…..

johndoh
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member
    I’m with andybanks on this one, some of you have way overspent.

POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    Depends on the sort of house you’re fitting it in doesn’t it really…

johndoh
    Free Member

So footfflaps – where did I overspend in your valued opinion?

johndoh
    Free Member

And as for DIYing – I charge enough for my time doing what I do well to pay someone else for doing what they do well.

I love getting dirty and ripping stuff out but I know I couldn’t do a good enough job to be happy with it if I fitted a bathroom myself.

footflaps

So footfflaps – where did I overspend in your valued opinion?

Sarcasm will get you nowhere 😉

Decent bathroom suites are not expensive, although you can spend an absolute fortune if you so desire. As for fitting, I’ve fitted kitchens and bathrooms and it really isn’t that big a job, so I just can’t see you can charge £1000s for it. Most skilled labour day rates are £150-£250/day so 5 days at the top end (£250) is £1250. You can do a hell of a lot of work in 5 days. I can fit a bathroom in a few evenings after work….

johndoh
    Free Member

But the OP isn’t just fitting a bathroom, he’s making a whole new room.

I have had two bathrooms fitted in the last year , each costing around £6k in total and I can honestly say that even trying not to go silly I still managed to spend loads just to get the fittings ( using a plumbers merchants, getting trade prices – cheaper than I could get online).

Another cost I forgot to add – my dual fuel radiator + heating element, another £200.

And watching the last bathroom being fitted, it took two very experienced guys 5 weekends (side job, cash in hand) so that’s 20 days of labour – and that was starting with a stripped out and ready to go shell. I fitted all light fittings and wiring myself and just had a sparky wire up and sign off.

Seriously, where do you think I could have made significant savings enough to have got the fittings , paid for labour and had a sparky in to do first and second fix to do it for a third of the price?

Matt24k
    Free Member

I can fit a bathroom in a few evenings after work….

Do you mean replace existing bath, sink and loo with the same or actually create a whole new room as the OP is talking about.
    I did a complete replacement of an existing ensuite, new floor boards, replastering, tiling etc. I used a tradesman for the plastering and tiling but I was his labourer. I had Karndean flooring installed but I did all the rest of the work myself and still spent £6k in total.

richc
    Free Member

I can fit a bathroom in a few evenings after work….

Really, takes me a lot longer than that in the couple I’ve done. Mind you I am normally starting from scratch, so need to get the soil pipe into the room, and hot water and heating pipes in by extending the existing plumbing.

Seriously if you can build a room and install a bathroom in a few evening you should start your own company as you would be fully booked as most people take a couple of weeks to do this. Especially if you can fit and supply for 1K, **** I would hire you.

footflaps

Do you mean replace existing bath, sink and loo with the same or actually create a whole new room as the OP is talking about.

This.

As for creating a whole new room, yes that’s more work, as for how much it all depends on where the soil stack is etc, eg it could be the other side of the house, or next to the new room.

I just don’t see how they can charge £6000k in labour. That would be 8 weeks at £150/day! Even 4 weeks at £300/day seems way too long /much.

richc
    Free Member

Depends on how many people I guess, but tbh £150 a day for a plumber would be cheap in my experience, if you can get them to turn up.

There have been threads on here before explaining that the day rate needs to take into account insurance, tools, wear and tear, time spent quoting, business expenses, NI, tax etc. So its not like they are getting £150 a day in their pocket.

I am guessing you cost your company a lot more than £150 a day.

Most plumbers I know of want £200 to £250 a day to even think about turning up.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection.

Anyway, job done now. Got bathroom completely redone, and a new ensuite in our bedroom too – we have pretty high ceilings so managed to get a massive doored storage area above ensuite too. Really, really happy with it.

Total cost – 8.5k. And fittings weren’t cheap, a shower in each that were 500 quid each and the slightly more than that for each shower enclosure.

Best of all, the new bath, it’s monstrous!. Can swallow my whole 6’2″ frame under water!.

Was done by a local bathroom company, father and son business who came well recommended by a few trusted friends.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Ensuite – how much to build?’ is closed to new replies.