Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Enlighten me on road pedals
  • bland

What do the cool kids use? Whats the difference. My spares box SPD are creaking like a granny now so replacement time and time to go all gay

Shimano, look, Time etc etc

Havent a clue what to go for, On one have some RED time ones which look light, shimano seem to always make great pedals so maybe ultegra carbon jobbies???

Do some make you walk like more of a cripple than others?

Shed some light someone

will
    Free Member
    surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

time to go all gay

you might need enlightenment in other areas too.

Shimano Road Pedals are like being locked-in, in comparison to SPD’s I thinkg the other makes, Time and Look have more lateral play and the the Speedplay ones are doublesided.
    Only ridden Shims so can’t comment on the difference but never felt the need to investigate.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

If you have wonky knees that don’t like rotating in perfect circles (like mine) Speedplay are great although expensive. Even better if you can find them second hand.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Always ridden Look pedals here. Have quite a few pairs, from fancy carbon blade ones to these copies on the winter bike. Had them on for a while now I’ve not given them a second thought, they work just fine. And for 16 quid in the sale you can try them out, see what you think, and if you hate them, well you’ve only lost 16 quid!

unovolo
    Free Member

I have some Look Keo classics which have been pretty much fit and forget, never even bothered playing with the spring tension.

The cleats are fairly cheap seem to wear ok on the pedal but are pretty awful for walking in,slippy and wear fast if you do much walking round in them, the newer cleats have rubber bits on to aid grip, but to be fair there not really designed with walking in mind.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I’ve been riding Speedplays for a few years now (on my second pair), I’m a big fan. They are a bit more expensive than the cheapo Looks and Shims, but if you have any kind of dodgy knees at all then they are well worth it.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

so maybe ultegra carbon jobbies???

the 105 5700C offer 99.9% of the pedal for 2/3 of the price.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-105-5700-spd-sl-carbon-road-pedals/rp-prod108785

mattsccm
    Free Member

Correct me if I am wrong but don’t the Shimano road cleats actually protrude beyond the side of the shoes slightly?
    The only pair I am familiar with do. This alone should remove them from consideration on aesthetic grounds.
    Look or Look copies have the virtue in that you can get cleats anywhere at a huge range of prices.

tomhoward

Mine do on Spesh sworks shoes. But I’ll get over it.

Got my first road pedals (shimano) the other week, along with aforementioned shooz.

Comparison to spds? Night and day in both comfort and power delivery!

Haze

I went from from Time iClic to Look – much prefer the Keo’s, feel more positive and the cleats are far outlasting.

edhornby

Get the r540 from merlin, like buying replace cleats and getting free pedals

Actually get the exustar

theflatboy
    Free Member

time to go all gay

walk like more of a cripple

What a charmer…

dknwhy
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Enlighten me on road pedals’ is closed to new replies.