Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Enlarged Prostate
  • growinglad
    Free Member

Apologies for bringing up the subject soon after breakfast, but I thought I’d spread the net and see if any others have experience with the following.

I’ve recently been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate. Had a PSA, came back normal, even had the finger up the nought by my GP which first diagnosed it was a bit larger. Started on some “natural” pills, helped a bit, but still not 100%

Obviously peeing wasn’t normal and after a visit to a Urologist and Ultra sounds, he confirmed that it’s definitely larger, bladder wall is a bit thicker and my bladder is not emptying properly, normally he said you should have around 50ml left in your bladder after a pee, I have around 250ml.

I’m now on some other pills, side effect being a lowered blood pressure, which for me, isn’t such an issue as I run a little high normally.

Next stage is a camera (oohhhh yes, you can guess where that goes :0 ) and maybe an operation, which if I told you what could be a complication it might put you off your lunch!!

So, at 42, isn’t it a little bit early to have such issues and what worries me more, is what will happen in 20 years time?

Bearing in mind my Dr’s first language isn’t English (I’m in Switzerland) it’s not so easy to get so much information on whats, whys and wheres.

Anyone else had similar issues, anything else I should be thinking about?

I keep wondering why? Pretty healthy, exercise, eat well, I took a smack to the underside about 20 years ago when a saddle bolt snapped, thankfully missed my dusters, but caught me on my barse, wondered if something could have got a little damaged then…also wonder if all the cycling may have not helped issues…but then wouldn’t all of us cyclists be seeing problems?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Dude, try not to fret. Easier said than done of course but rest assured that not only do millions of others suffer with similar conditions, but treatment of dicky prostates has come on leaps and bounds in the last 15 years.

You are in a great country regarding healthcare, think happy thoughts and keep going back for more opinions/tests. AFAIK, 40 is the official start time of potential pipe work issues, so if anything you’re just efficiently prompt.
    All the best

scaredypants

we don’t actually know what’s going on with you, even what your doc thinks it may be but try here & see if it helps to make sense

(and good work on going to the doc – “dying of embarrassment” was never truer than for prostates)

growinglad
    Free Member

Cheers, funnily enough I’ve not stressed that much, after the PSA results came back normal I was cool.

Main thing for me is for it not to continue, thankfully things are a lot better now. When things were first noticed I was driving to a meeting with a couple of colleagues and had to stop three times on a 45 minute journey, had to keep faking that I thought I was going to throw up.

We have 3 small kids and my peeing habits were worse than theirs.

Although I wonder if I take the pills now, will I need to keep taking them and will they still be working okay in 10-15 years time.

scaredypants

tamsulosin ?

works pretty well – definitely causes some low BP/fainty incidents in some people (be careful when getting up after sitting for ages)

It doesn’t stop working but then your prostate may not stop enlarging either. There are other options to add/replace if necessary

growinglad
    Free Member

tamsulosin ?

Yep, that’s the stuff, Pradif T Tamsulosin HCI 400 ug

I’ve been taking them for a couple of days now, funnily enough after sitting on the couch last night I felt a bit light headed when I got up.

cranberry
    Free Member

Started on some “natural” pills, helped a bit, but still not 100%

Medicine is “natural” pills that have been tested and are known to work – you are much better taking the former if required.

Next stage is a camera

I think that every man reading this thread crossed their legs at this point, but I wouldn’t be overly worried about it ( and not just because its not my <male chicken> that’s getting the camera up there ). My dad had to use catheters for 14 years and it made my eyes water thinking about it, but in the last month or so of his life he needed help and I ended up inserting them for him. They slipped in really easy and the idea that it should be strictly a one-way street isn’t true.

That said, don’t piss off the doctor/nurse first – you don’t want them adding grit to the lube. 😉

growinglad
    Free Member

First ones were given to me by the GP (Prosta-Urgenin), so not really snake oil, but not quite as “strong” as the ones I’m now on.

Actually, camera wasn’t my biggest concern, possible operation and what might happen if it didn’t go to plan was more concerning 😮

avdave2

I had the tests a couple of years ago after noticing similar symptoms to you, rather milder in my case. One thing that did improve things though was actually getting the psa results and the “digital inspection” done. Once I knew it wasn’t looking like cancer it was easier to live with.
    I was prompted to go because a friend had been diagnosed with prostate cancer at 45. Fortunately he seems ok now, he had an operation a couple of years ago and all seemed to go well. He’s never actually gone back to find out the results of the following tests though. His attitude was this thing has had enough of my attention already, I’m just going to get on with life and if there is bad news I’m sure someone will get round to telling me. I found it hard to fathom at first but the more I thought about it the more I liked the attitude. Hey you might have a part to play in killing me but you’ve no place in my life.

andyl
    Free Member

Camera’s not too bad, it’s just going to burn when you pee for a day or two!

scaredypants

Tamsulosin info leaflet – different product (MUCH better name!) but same drug & same principles apply so worth a read if you haven’t got/can’t access one in swisserland

headfirst
    Free Member

Next stage is a camera

Make sure you ask for the new gopro session and not one of the older models

growinglad
    Free Member

Make sure you ask for the new gopro session and not one of the older models

I’ll double check he takes the lens cap off before he starts!!

growinglad
    Free Member

Tamsulosin info leaflet – different product (MUCH better name!) but same drug & same principles apply so worth a read if you haven’t got/can’t access one in swisserland

This must be the stuff I’ve got just a different name as Boehringer Ingelheim is printed on the packet.

footflaps

My dad has his reamed, a few years back, to revive full bladder function. Quite a high risk operation (if they nick the nerves you end up incontinent and impotent), but all went well and he’s back to normal.

avdave2

My dad has his reamed, a few years back,

My legs are now crossed and I’m not sure I’m going to be able to uncross them all day!

footflaps

My legs are now crossed and I’m not sure I’m going to be able to uncross them all day!

To say he was bricking it beforehand would be an understatement…

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

Lower your saddle slightly…

allthegear
    Free Member

My dad has his reamed, a few years back,

Ouch! Even my legs are crossed!!! 😯

Stoner
    Free Member

My dad has his reamed

27.2mm or 34.9mm?

Crosses legs a couple more times

A friend had the camera crew up his one way valve on Monday. Apart from the customary pubbantz about it, nothing much untoward to report. Not a scary procedure.
    Good luck.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m in precisely the same situation, although a little further along the treatment trail.

Cystoscopy. Oh what fun that was.

Hope you’re looking forward to the “Flip-Flo” er, tube in the extension.

Just don’t try to walk too fast. Or sit down too quick. Or sleep on your side…. 🙁 😯

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I’d go further than cyclingweakly. If you’re a regular rider lay off the bike for a while. Saddle / prostate interface could cause upset. I know yours was normal, but can certainly cause elevated PSA.

iainc

over-rated organ anyway 😯

could be worse

I had similar symptoms, but a different outcome. Horribly invasive testing etc though, so you have my sympathies

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

On tamsulosin at present have been for about a year due to a tight prostate and surrounding muscles. No side effects so far. Had the camera and felt very quesy when he pushed on my bladder and you could see the fingers pressing on the inside in glorious HD. Flow rate is much better.

ianpv
    Free Member

I’m 43, and last year had a thickening of the bladder wall on an ultrasound scan after similar symptoms. Turned out I had stage three bladder cancer. Had my bladder, prostate and a bunch of other pipework removed last August. Probably not what you wanted to hear 😆

But, I’m still alive, and managed to finish the Braunton150 over easter with the second fastest time…

Pieface

I know someone who had the option of reaming or on-going self-catheterisation. As they are a similar age to the OP they went down the self-catheterisation route due to the risks with reaming. They are living a perfectly normal lifestyle. The fact it isn’t the big C makes all other issues pail in to insgnificance.

jerseychaz

I’ve suffered from the same since a particularly nasty kidney infection in 2008 (failing to drink enough while riding in the Pyrenees!). After much prodding and ultrasounding I have been prescribed Tamsulosin Hydrochloride to reduce the size of the Prostate – been on it for over a year now with nil side effects. GP seems to think that it can be taken long term without adverse effect. Also, the PSA level is not a particularly reliable indicator as any Urinary Tract infection will cause an increase to apparently alarming levels. I’m pretty relaxed about it although having to trek back to the GP every 6 months to get the next batch of prescriptions is a bit of a pain. HTH – oops, left the thread open with 2 posts showing then wrote this – beaten to it by many (I had the camera too – GA mind, but damn sore for a few days afterwards!

cranberry
    Free Member

option of reaming or on-going self-catheterisation.

Self-catherterisation has its issues – notably you can become very prone to urinary tract infections. Also, as the catheters come in long, green plastic wrappers, people can think that you have a serious Pepperami addiction 😉

I took my Grandad to the hospital for his re-boring. The nurse had a book with pictures explaining the operation and said words that burned themselves into my brain “don’t worry, it’s basically just like using an apple-corer.” 😈

My legs were crossed, heart rate elaveted and I was plotting how to escape the room – My grandad was smiling – just happy he was going to be able to pee normally again.

footflaps

“don’t worry, it’s basically just like using an apple-corer.”

Except that you’re boring right next to a bunch of nerves which control erectile and urinary function. One nick and you’re screwed (or rather will never screw again).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

So, at 42, isn’t it a little bit early to have such issues and what worries me more, is what will happen in 20 years time?

I have had issues from younger than that.

Had to go to have the ultrasound with a full bladder – not emptying it fully.

Had the Cystoscopy – my bladder has a high neck for one thing which doesn’t help.

Prostate looked a little enlarged, had the tamsulosin which might have helped but not sure.

Straining/pushing to go for a pee doesn’t help I think, makes things more sensitive.

I was pretty bad recently, went to docs who tested for urinary infection but OK – felt things got a little better after drinking a load of milk !

Was offered tamsulosin but turned it down as I was hitting a pretty high heart rate on the trainer so thought it better to avoid meds if possible.

I thought these pumpkin seed oil tablets looked intriguing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00280W3AU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AKRBDGJN4LXWJ

MoreCashThanDash

if anything you’re just efficiently prompt.

Comes from being in Switzerland

Well done for getting something done and also raising the issue on here – too easy to dismiss simple warning signs

growinglad
    Free Member

Had my bladder, prostate and a bunch of other pipework removed last August. Probably not what you wanted to hear

Christ, that doesn’t sound very good. Although pleased to hear you are getting stuck in.

Seems as though it’s not that rare, bleeding pain getting on in years, even if you look after yourself, bits just seem to ware down…

Thankfully not to stressed as PSA was okay and getting things seen to, although don’t fancy that reaming business….might have been married for 10 years and have 3 young kids, but still reckon I have a few more years need of all bits working as they should.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Good luck O.P. hope you get sorted soon and recover.

leftyboy
    Free Member

My experience was of not being able to get any flow, lots of stoping and starting with a very low flow rate.

I’ve got an incredibly low psa reading but an enlarged prostrate which can’t be operated on without removing it due to the enlargement being in an odd position, complication is that @ 29 I had testicular cancer and now at 51 I suffer with bladder and bowel issues BUT I’m still here so overall it’s all good.

My bladder neck incision 2 years ago has made enough difference that I will be able to tolerate my symptoms until I’m 60 (I hope) and then cancer or not my prostrate will need to come out.

If it’s not cancer you can live with it IMHO.

Sandwich

Another one of the large prostate chaps here, I was told I was young at 52! Positively childlike at 42. Currently on Tamsulosin and Finasteride to alleviate the urination problems. Working a treat so far. Finasteride shrinks the prostate so you may be offered this first, there is also an alternative to do the same thing if you don’t get on with Finasteride.

If you are lucky you can get a rebore with “frickin’ lasers” rather than the apple-corer. I holding off on that one as the risks are a bit serious and being impotent and incontinent don’t appeal.

You may well be offered an MRI and a biopsy or 2 to check for cancer. I have had 2 biopsies one under local through the bowel wall (12 or so cores) and a second under heavy sedation through the perineum (the taint) 35 samples. Both have a risk of infection and require some serious antibiotics to prevent it.

If you are lucky you will only suffer urinary tract infections, I get kidney infections once a year which is a bastard. So keep your fluid intake up, yeah I know.

My aim is to die with prostate cancer not of it. Currently I have the milder cancer tumour (lowest score possible) unlike Ianc above who it removed. Round here we get a robot to remove the prostate, several small incisions plus one bigger (huge in my case) for the gland exit route.

Good luck

iainc

unlike Ianc above who it removed.

. Indeed, an aggressive version and hopefully all removed 18 months ago. It’s not an essential organ if you already have kids and most functions can be relearned. Surgery is keyhole or keyhole robotic as mentioned above so a lot less recovery than the old open surgery methods

yosemitepaul

Last year I had similar issues, things came to a head when I had to pee (or thought I needed to pee) 15 times in just one morning.
    I had tests, the finger and eventually the camera.
    Result an enlarged prostate (BPH) and thickened bladder walls with trabeculation.
    The consultant left me in a confused state with what or what not to do!
    Basically he recommended Tamsulosin and a waiting period to see if it got worse.
    I didn’t really understand what he’d told me; primarily because he came out with all this as he was removing the camera from you know where and my mind was engaged on other things!
    I went to my very kind and helpful GP (he really is) and explained where I now was with tests and what I did and didn’t understand.
    After a long chat, he suggested I completely cut caffeine from my diet, as its a stimulant it could be stimulating the bladder into overwork.
    Now I’m not normally one for this type of medicine, but gave it a go. After the horrible withdrawal symptoms, and over a few weeks, I noticed things started to improve. No more peeing every few minutes, no getting up during the night. Slowly things got better. I weaned myself of the Tamsulosin and after a month I began to feel normal again.
    Stopping caffeine worked for me, it may or may not work for you. It may be worth giving it a try there’s nothing to loose.
    Eight months on, no caffeine in the system and everything is functioning perfectly in every way.

timber

Apologies for skim reading, a friend has recently gone through ‘too young for Prostate cancer’ and has been fairly well publicised and has since set up a support page on Facebook or try a search for Kurt Jewson or try this link

growinglad
    Free Member

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input, it’s very helpful to hear from others in a similar boat.

Out of interest, those that use/have used Tamsulosin, do you remember how long it took before you noticed things were much better. Weeks or Months?

I seem to go in fits and starts, thankfully I only have to wake up during the night if I’ve had a few beers. Sometimes, I won’t have any issues, other times, like yesterday afternoon I had to take four pee’s in less than two hours, funnily enough I had just drank a cup of coffee before hand.

Alcohol plays a part, but now I think about it, afternoon coffees seem to really affect me. I shall pay closer attention to the effects.

Thanks again.

yosemitepaul

I guess its different for everyone, but the Tamsulosin started working on me within 48 hours.
    Doesn’t everyone have to get up during the night ‘after a few beers’??
    The other thing my doc told me, was stop keeping a record or thinking of how many times you have to go.
    Again it seemed to work, I tried to stop concentrating on the urge (difficult I know) and slowly things improved.
    Good luck to you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Enlarged Prostate’ is closed to new replies.