Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Enigma Ecroix – opinions vs Tripster
  • endo85
    Free Member

Hi All,

Am thinking of getting a Kinesis Tripster but noticed Enigma have released a similar bike:

http://www.enigmabikes.com/products/ecroix

On first looks the Ecroix takes up to 35c tyres, the position of the rear brake caliper might make fitting the rear mudguards easier.It has a steeper head angle so perhaps might have livelier handling on the road, with the Tripster perhaps having better handling when the going gets rougher.

Anyone own an Ecroix and provide any insights into the quality and ride?

cinnamon_girl

Tripster will take wider tyres. That red fork looks dreadful, seriously dreadful. 😐

sandboy

There’s someone selling on on the Peterborough bicycle trading hub on Facebook. An Enigma, almost forgot to say which bike.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Personally wouldn’t buy either. Both look like a dogs dinner (an expensive one at that).

THe best way to choose a bike is decide what sort of riding you’re going to use it for…?

Wider than a 35c tyre….surely that’s what mountain bikes are for?!

cinnamon_girl

Personally wouldn’t buy either. Both look like a dogs dinner (an expensive one at that).

There’s been some bloomin’ lovely Ti bikes pictured on here where their owners have really embraced the elegance of Ti. For looks, it beats everything else hands down.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

There’s been some bloomin’ lovely Ti bikes pictured on here where their owners have really embraced the elegance of Ti. For looks, it beats everything else hands down.

Yeh, I’ve just had a look at that thread. This one doesn’t look too bad. But they just look a bit boring/dull. I’m sure they make sense for some people, but for others they’re probably the sort of bike they think they want, but for the majority of their riding they’d actually be better off on a road bike.

adsh
    Free Member

Except if you want to avoid traffic you’ll be on B roads with terrible surfaces, gravel and potholes. My Etape struggles whereas my rigid 29er excels.

The biggest issue with Enigma is the excrutiating (ha) naming. Why call an Audax bike the Etape?

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve got a tipster and love it. There is nothing boring or dull about. It might not look as flashy as a new carbon jobby but it gets lots of admiration.
    For me it’s a bike that does nearly everything I want apart from what I use my mtb for.
    Head out on road, bit of bridle way, explore a few singletracks then back on the road home.

Kryton57

I’m ultimately looking buy an Engima road bike. If you look at the text underneath the Ecroix image it states that it’s a bespoke build. I feel it doesn’t come with a red fork but black as standard for the Enigma forks.

Here’s an Enigma vid. I noticed here also they say it features a steel Ecroix which does not feature on the website, I wondered therefore if they meant Ezona but the fork is certainly different. I’d be interesd in a steel Ecroix fwiw.

Black fork pic here also: http://grit.cx/reviews/received-enigma-ecroix

Edit: Actually it’s interesting that the Ecroix is a slightly more aggressive geometry than the Etape, which has perked up my interest.

MoreCashThanDash

Etape Disc is on my lottery winning spending list. Can’t get excited by the Tripster, Lord knows I’ve tried….

adsh
    Free Member

One of the best bits on the Etape is the planted feeling you get from the slacker geo that forgives lack of attention as you get tired.

I slightly lost my desire for updating when they gained a 31.6mm seatpost asa result of rationalising to the same seat post across the whole range.

Kryton57

I rode to a TT the other day on my good bike and my Garmin routed down some gravel canal paths, I was shitting myself about punctures.

If I take to TT’ing this year I’m going to rationalise Bianchi/Defy to Enigma/Propel. Having an Ecroix gives me a massive range of options for race/TT/sportive/winter/gravel in two bikes.

In my head anyway 😀

MoreCashThanDash

And loads more scope for n+1….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Enigma Ecroix – opinions vs Tripster’ is closed to new replies.