Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Enhanced Redundancy
  • TheFlyingOx

The company I work for us going through a period of “transformation” and we’ve just found out there’s an enhanced redundancy package based on time employed for those selected. No answer on whether voluntary redundancy is an option yet.

I will be leaving one way or another, so do you think it would hurt my case for receiving the enhanced package if I made my intentions known at this point? I’d be about as cheap as it gets for the company having only been here 2 years, so I’m not doing this for any kind of huge payout. I just want out and the enhanced package would top up the rainy day fund a little bit.

somouk
    Free Member

I don’t see how mentioning this to your manager would be a bad thing. May make their life easier.

The only way it would go badly is if your management are muppets and see you as leaving as a slight against them and want to save the money they would pay you in redundancy.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I can’t see how it would hurt, you don’t want to seem too keen of course, they might decide that you were about the resign anyway, but given you’d be cheaper than most they may select you anyway.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would imagine the cheap people are the ones they most want gone but you get two weeks service

Whatever the enhanced is it doubt its more than notice period + one months salary or some such

IMHO it is fine to say you are happy to leave if selected.

Drac

2 years or approaching 2 years?

Oh and how old are you as redundancy doesn’t seem to be exempt from age discrimination.

trail_rat
    Free Member

from experiance of watching others ask ….

it seemed to me that those that want out and make it voiced are often/in our case always denied the opportunity .

but then maybe thats just bad managers .

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I will be leaving one way or another, so do you think it would hurt my case for receiving the enhanced package if I made my intentions known at this point?

If you tell them you are going to leave anyway why should they then incentivise you to do so?

TheFlyingOx

The only way it would go badly is if your management are muppets and see you as leaving as a slight against them and want to save the money they would pay you in redundancy.

They’re muppety enough to take it personally when anyone has dared to request a move to a different site within the same company. I’m pretty sure they’ll take me wanting to leave as a grave personal insult.

Package is 4 weeks for every year in service + part years pro rata + 3 months notice, so not insignificant, but it’s a pretty high paying industry and there are people who’ve been here 15-20 years or more. I’m the financially sensible choice whichever way you look at it.

Drac, I’d be 2 years and 90 days at end of employment. 2 years service ticks over on 18th November, employee consultation period ends on 18th November, redundancies announced on 1st December. I realise this puts me on shaky ground as before my 2 years are up I can just be released.

TheFlyingOx

If you tell them you are going to leave anyway why should they then incentivise you to do so?

Because they need want to trim the workforce, I want to leave, I’m cheapest to pay off. It’ll cost them a lot more to pay off a longer-serving employee and keep me only for me to then resign anyway.

nealglover
    Free Member

Avoid the office on the 17th November. 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

You say it makes sense to get rid of the shortest serving employees how ever often the older longer serving are on higher wages and are less likely to take shit than the new guy.

Often companies dont consider how many of the legacy systems the older more experianced guys know inside out that he newer guys dont know.

Drac

Drac, I’d be 2 years and 90 days at end of employment. 2 years service ticks over on 18th November, employee consultation period ends on 18th November, redundancies announced on 1st December. I realise this puts me on shaky ground as before my 2 years are up I can just be released.

Oh!

Good luck whatever you choose.

poolman
    Free Member

Its 23 months if you re on 1 months notice, as that would trigger 2 years.

I always wanted to be paid off but the hr boss said if you express the wish you have no chance as they know you plan to leave anyway.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Because they need want to trim the workforce, I want to leave, I’m cheapest to pay off. It’ll cost them a lot more to pay off a longer-serving employee and keep me only for me to then resign anyway.

Works both ways though.

Those old guys are often just coasting to retirement and getting rid of them for the cost of a years salary saves money in the long run as younger people with more ambition get promoted into those positions (and are on lower salaries, and every year those old guys work their final salary pension goes up by another pay rise).

Rolls Royce made that mistake about 15 years ago (post 9/11), got rid of all the cheap graduates and found that the remaining workforce just didn’t get anything done and was hostile to any change.

If you’re going anyway, they can just let you leave and account for it by making 1 less person redundant.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Wait!

If you’re currently under 2y they can sack you with no comeback. I reckon you’d better sit tight and hope that they don’t work that out until your 2y has passed. At that point by all means ask nicely but note that they might prefer to get rid of oldies as the whole point is presumably to cut the salary bill. You’re probably good value as a worker!

poly
    Free Member

Don’t ask, that’s an invite for you to go with no redundancy, or standard redundancy.

What you can do, when the topic comes up, is make clear that IF THE DEAL WAS GOOD ENOUGH you would consider going voluntarily. You manager might be very supportive but you get your redundancy package on it that someone else in the chain is tasked with doing it as cheaply as possible and doesn’t really care about you personally.

I wouldn’t go rushing to the boss’ door either.

My brother’s place were doing a years salary for everyone they were letting go. That was enough of an offer for him to say he’d do it. They refused as his role was too critical and they would have had to hire a replacement – so he realistic is there someone there who can pick up your work (and if there is are they likely to stay, affordable etc) if so you could even drop that into discussion as that is one of the headaches management have to juggle and it’s not always obvious who knows what.

benz
    Free Member

OP, T2 perhaps?

In this instance is the 2 years service not relaxed?

TheFlyingOx

Ha. Too many sensible questions about this that simply do not apply here. Just makes me realise how bad where I work is and why I want out so much.

I’m more than happy to walk away with nothing, for the sake of my sanity and my personal life. It would just be nice to walk away with a bit more than nothing and let someone else who actually wants to stay here do so.

Guess I’ll wait until 19th November and make my thoughts known.

footflaps

If you’re currently under 2y they can sack you with no comeback.

Didn’t that change to 1 year a while back?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Saw your thread at the weekend flyingox didn’t have anything to offer as I’m not involved in process but I understand what your fighting.

butcher

Didn’t that change to 1 year a while back?

Pretty sure it changed FROM 1 year, about 4 or 5 years ago?

Unless they’ve recently changed it again.

footflaps

OK, went from 1 to 2

Employees can only claim unfair dismissal if they’ve worked for a qualifying period – unless they’re claiming for an automatically unfair reason.

Date employment started When the employee can claim
    Before 6 April 2012 After first year of employment
    After 6 April 2012 After 2 years of employment

https://www.gov.uk/dismiss-staff/eligibility-to-claim-unfair-dismissal

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Enhanced Redundancy’ is closed to new replies.