Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • English or US English STW lets vote
  • antigee

ok so I just wrote tyre over in the bike forum and STW insists this is mispelt

1. English English please?
    2. US English?
    3. Can’t spell so don’t care?
    4. It’s the internet innit?

feel free to spoil your ballot paper

wwaswas

STW insists this is mispelt

errm, that’s your browser configuration, not stw.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

English, the language spoken by the English.
    American – A version of English mispelt

MSP

Before you start your next thread, it isn’t STW that is responsible for the mail order ladyboy bride adverts either.

jambalaya
    Free Member

English is a language. American English is a hybrid abomination.

rOcKeTdOg

What’s wrong with “tyre”?

nickc

Apart from the obvious snobbery…there’s so much missed out in that statement like language evolution, the origins of why Americans spell and pronounce words like they do, and how “the English” (well done to miss out entire continents in your rush to be a snob) have constantly evolved their version of the language.

Cougar

STW insists this is mispelt

That would seem unlikely. Did it underline it in red? That’s your browser’s spellchecker defaulting to US English.

nickc

Oh look, more snobs have turned up. It’s like a snob garden party 😀

antigee

errm, that’s your browser configuration

a fair point will look at that and then I will be happy

mefty
    Free Member

Interestingly, at least to me, quite a few despised Americanisms are actually just more old fashioned English usage which result from the fact that the language did not (was not allowed to) develop in the early days of the colony. Meanwhile the English, exposed to far more international influences, continued to evolve their language.

antigee

i have now looked at my browser settings and will admit that tyre being spelt tire is 100% my fault 😮

no luck yet with lady boy ad’s but I’m pretty sure some will be along soon

Edric64
    Free Member

This

Sandwich

When I tire on my bike it’s usually because the tyres are dragging. What’s so difficult Nick? Now if it was too or to then you may have a point for the EAFL speakers also the various versions of there which can be also difficult for a non-native speaker.
    It’s not snobbery, it’s taking a pride in not making a fool of the language of Shakespeare.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Backs away from the thread very slowly avoid eye contact hoping no one spotted me

roper
    Free Member

Do you mean “tire” as in, “tire iron”?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@nickc certainly a lot not put in the single line, didn’t feel the need to do an assessment of the entire history there.

Simple version though English as in the English language an the English Dictionary, American a language based on English thats had some shit done to it – you know like stripper plastic surgery 😉

Would be easier to call it American

GrahamS

*not sure if deliberate error or not*

Cougar

“Misspelt” is perfectly valid (unless you’re American).

Cougar

Ah, “mispelt.” I see. As you were.

antigee

Backs away from the thread very slowly avoid eye contact hoping no one spotted me

a bit of blatant ignorance exposed on my part but pretty sure all part of a normal day
    thread will die or go off topic

molgrips
    Free Member

Interestingly, at least to me, quite a few despised Americanisms are actually just more old fashioned English usage which result from the fact that the language did not (was not allowed to) develop in the early days of the colony.

I don’t think it’s that so much as that different words drifted in and out of usage. And not just from colonial times either – I was amazed when my wife used the word ‘galoshes’ and that’s a 30s Enid Blyton type word here.

There’s no standardised English anyway. So no-one can be wrong. English has always been evolving, and always differently in different geographical areas.

Plus, if you are just looking to be a snob towards Americans, why don’t you have a think about how many American words we’ve adopted?

Given how long ago they diverged it’s actually amazing how similar they still are.

fasthaggis

What color was the tire ?

convert

There’s no standardised English anyway. So no-one can be wrong. English has always been evolving, and always differently in different geographical areas.

Please don’t state this to anyone taking a GCSE/A level/Higher in the next few weeks – and not just a qualification in English; same for Geography etc.

Use of American English or ‘colloquial’ spelling will see you dropping marks. The real world is less unreformed obviously.

nickjb
    Free Member

I was under the impression that their spellings had changed less than ours over the years. I also recall hearing the that the New Zealand way of speaking is far closer to how our ancestors talked than those of us what talk like the queen.

Its a losing battle anyway. American English will take over and one day the whole world will speak it. Just be grateful you are on the side that nearly won rather, say, French.

nickc

It’s not snobbery, it’s taking a pride in not making a fool of the language of Shakespeare.

evoking shakespeare and pride, and then suggesting that’s not snobbery?

Ballsy

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can someone please edit the title, as the lack of apostrophe is really rather galling? Thanks.

GrahamS

English has always been evolving

So much so that “literally” now means “metaphorically”, because so many people were too stupid to use it correctly:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23729570

I look forward to “-ly” being dropped off adverbs in the future:

“They played superb Des.”

That has me literal shouting at the tel.

molgrips
    Free Member

Good example. We don’t speak or write the language of Shakespeare any more either. Our language is far closer to that in use in the USA than it is to Shakespeare, so by that standard we’re just as guilty.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it’s taking a pride in not making a fool of the language of Shakespeare

Verily
    No one speaks in the style that shakespeare wrote

Mackem

Shakespeare just invented words he needed. So strumthrottle to the idea of proper English.

molgrips
    Free Member

That has me literal shouting at the tel.

Lolz.. you mean figuratively?

Anyway – when the colonies were founded there was no standard spelling. Someone made a dictionary, and that was simply adopted as the de facto standard. Same thing happened in America, except that it was a different guy with a different dictionary.

Similarly, American football is just another branch of the evolutionary tree of football games – just as old and has a pretty similar provenance.

Shakespeare just invented words he needed.

Likewise Milton – many of our ‘proper’ intellecual sounding words were simply made up by him.

mefty
    Free Member

Campaign to Save Adverbs
    ‘Think freely, live adventurously, use adverbs liberally’

wwaswas

No one speaks in the style that shakespeare wrote

Iambic Pentameter can be tricky to do day-to-day
    it has to be said, but the reward of success
    is like skipping barefoot through a spring meadow
    although the woman in Asda looks baffled.

Drac

Wasn’t Shakespeare reknowned for making words up?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All very true molgrips, for but for use in the UK (well at least in England) English English is the correct language.
    I see some of the effects of mass emigration from europe in the late 40’s/50’s to Oz where there is a strange hangover culture/language from back then.

GrahamS

Shakespeare just invented words he needed.

But twas brillig though. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

English English is the correct language.

Quite, but how does one define it? Given that the OED actually changes to reflect the language in use, it can hardly be considered definitive.

nickc

So much so that “literally” now means “metaphorically”, because so many people were too stupid to use it correctly: that’s exactly what shakespeare did.

If we’re going to be strict about these things

Cougar

Same thing happened in America, except that it was a different guy with a different dictionary.

Noah Webster (as in Mirriam-Webster) “reformed” the language in the US and it became widely adopted; he’s the one responsible for popularising a lot of Americanisations.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘English or US English STW lets vote’ is closed to new replies.