Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • English Heritage BBC2
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

Anyone been watching? Good programme i think but that Simon thurley is an egotist and what happened to EH’s principles of conservation?

CaptJon
    Free Member

It is fascinating. I teach this sort of thing and these programmes are great seminar fodder. The discussions about authenticity were interesting tonight.

1) You’ve got a recreation of a garden that was only there for 17 days
    2)the only description of it is from a layman (Robert Langham) who may or may not have made measurements, may or may not have been boasting in his description, and may or may not have been sober when writing the letter
    3) There is no archaeology to support the description
    4) physics tells us part of the description was wrong (the angle of the slope)
    5) EH want an authentic Elizabethan wooden structure that meets 21st century health and safety but won’t pay for the engineering of it
    6) the wood is built on a stone base which EH insist is aged so it fits with the surroundings of the castle (even though when the garden was first build presumably it was new and didn’t age much in 17 days
    7) there is a fountain which is to be carves so it doesn’t look too Italian and fits the techniques of English sculptures of the period… but the design of it is based on 21st aesthetics (the ‘boll’ and the beard)

Any question as to the validity of contradictory decisions seems to be justified because nobody has a photo from the period. And £3.5m is justified because EH learnt alot about how gardens were built in the Elizabethian period.

I wonder if the final programme in the series might show EH actually overseeing a well thought out, carefully managed and most importantly successful project.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Capt
    i’m just coming to the end of a masters in building surveying and the work were doing on building conservation principles seems to be irrelevant to EH, ageing materials is a no- no, replication of elements only were solid evidence is available – not important if Mr Thurley deams it should be there, authenticity and originality – missing in action

EH’s movement into commercial actions is also of interest, did you read the article in the sunday times about the fireplaces in a property in london ( possibly and Indigo Jones i cant remember)

Must be good for your lectures, watch this and discuss…

CaptJon
    Free Member

i’m just coming to the end of a masters in building surveying and the work were doing on building conservation principles seems to be irrelevant to EH, ageing materials is a no- no, replication of elements only were solid evidence is available – not important if Mr Thurley deams it should be there, authenticity and originality – missing in action

EH are a funny bunch. Did you see the Grand Designs a few years back when a couple bought a ruined castle (ancient scheduled monument – uber protection status) to renovate? EH’s attitude was so obstructive the couple were almost bankrupted – it would have been easier, much easier to have not done the project and the castle would have been destroyed by the elements in a few years. So, even though the couple were saving it, EH kept putting obstacles in the way.

EH’s movement into commercial actions is also of interest, did you read the article in the sunday times about the fireplaces in a property in london ( possibly and Indigo Jones i cant remember)

I missed that, do you have a link? I thought the project in Sheffield last week was crazy. EH aren’t property developers so shouldn’t attempt it. Not simply because it isn’t their area of expertise, but because they don’t have the capacity to overseee such a project.

Must be good for your lectures, watch this and discuss…

Absolutely. Designing a new modules at the moment on geographies of heritage so these programmes are a great resource.

Sorry to be a pedant, but it is Dr Thurley. He’s an architectural historian, apparently (!).

guido

Ive worked for EH for 5 years now and its difficult to comment so i have to say that we have little or no power (or cash) to do what everyone wants. you always upset someone…
    And dont get me started on the bonus that Dr Thurley got while fighting tooth and nail to ensure we dont get a pay rise!!

“Eh are a funny bunch” – you should meet some of the staff in the flesh! OMG (including me)

guido

Sorry just read this “(ancient scheduled monument – uber protection status)”
    im still laughing

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Apologies to the good Dr 😀

here is the link, there is another article as well . I actually live in Sheffield and the project seams to be at a standstill at present; Are responsible for the destruction of heritage?

Yes i did watch the grand design programme, i have noticed in the Sheffield project that the requirement for the concrete was soon dropped when it became to expensive and EH may have had to pay for it despite already giving a large, but in reality insignificant, grant to Urban Splash to preserve / restore it . Is it a case of do what we say not what we do

guido

“EH are responsible for the destruction of heritage”
    not the DCMS then?
    stonemonkey more research requied

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Guido and i was thinking of applying for a job at EH ? 😮

guido

Good luck 400+ applicants for even £13k job due to the archaeology industry going tits up.
    Most staff i know want to leave…

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Guido sorry i don’t understand are you referring to the Heritage protection review?

guido

No any job. i currently working on the HPR (secondment) but after the credit crunch a lot of it will be mothballed.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Having checked the website the job i was looking at appears to have gone anyway.

aP
    Free Member

guido – what area are you involved in?

CaptJon
    Free Member

guido

Ive worked for EH for 5 years now and its difficult to comment so i have to say that we have little or no power (or cash) to do what everyone wants. you always upset someone…

What i thought was interesting from the programmes was the lack of singular vision from EH. I’m sure you won’t comment but i got the impression there are a number of conflicting approaches within EH. It might well be down to the editing, but i detected a new breed (led by Thurley, his wife and the curtains guy from tonight’s show) who like big projects, experts promoted into positions they don’t feel completely comfortable in, experts in various things (who may or may not be listened to, depending on how their views fit with the vision of other groups), and administrators attempting to keep everyone else functioning. I could be well off mind.

Be rest assured, i think EH are geniuses compared to the National Trust.

guido

Scheduled Monuments on secondment
    normally listed buildings.

i better not say much more as eh emplys people to read comments on web and in papers about us.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

How do you quote ?

guido

Capt jon hits nail on head.

CaptJon
    Free Member

How do you quote ?

Copy and paste the text into the reply box. Select it, and then click the “quote” button.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Copy and paste the text into the reply box. Select it, and then click the “quote” button.

Like this?
    Success thanks Capt

CaptJon
    Free Member

Capt jon hits nail on head.

😀

I left out what is probably the largest group though; employees who just want to get on with their job and see heritage protected (i suspect you are in this group guido). BTW – do you know if anyone written a history of EH?

I hope that EH eventually goes down the path National Parks are increasingly heading. Namely not just protecting stuff and leaving it, but using heritage as a catalyst for development (community, environmental and if you have to, economic). Not sure 200 years of heritage tradition (sic) will be easily changeable unfortunately.

guido

Capt jon- want a job?
    i like you 🙂

CaptJon
    Free Member

Capt jon- want a job?
    i like you

Thanks. I’m just grooming you in case i do a research project on EH and need people to interview 😀

A job? I’m happily battling the archaic structures of academia at the moment, once i’ve fixed those i might be tempted with sorting out EH.

In all seriousness, do you know if there is a history of EH? I reckon it would be a fascinating read. If there isn’t, it would be an amazing project to work on.

Talking of good reads, have you read Uses of Heritage by Laura Jane Smith? I reckon it should be compulsory reading for anyone working in heritage. She charts the history of heritage protection and it makes you understand what has led to the the current situation in the UK (and in fact the world).

guido

I dont know of any books but i have a dvd history of EH (and im interviewed on it )
    i have to go to the office on monday (boo) i will see if i can find you a copy.

CaptJon
    Free Member

That would be amazing.

My email is in my profile.

guido

Cool Captain will do.
    can say more on email as well (evil laugh)

CaptJon
    Free Member

Tonight’s was a little dull i thought. I guess because the project is in the very early stages.

guido

capt-two churches and an iron forge kept me from this office this week-but i will look for that DVD for you – ive not forgot.

CaptJon
    Free Member

They kept you from literally gettting into the office? Like they were blocking the door? Knock them down i say! 😆

Cheers.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘English Heritage BBC2’ is closed to new replies.